What's new

Gillette Super Speed 1964

I love my 1960 Flaretip SuperSpeed.

It's less aggressive than my Merkur 38C.

What's most surprising is the quality of these old Gillette's. They are incredibly well-made for what was, at the time, a very inexpensive razor. The butterfly doors function smoothly, the TTO knob glides. The chrome is still very nice after 50 YEARS.

The SS is probably the best razor for a newbie. Very well-balanced, not too aggressive. Just a darn fine razor.

They just don't make things like they used to. :thumbup1:
tumblty;2811805 said:
I have been using my 1964 Gilette SS as my daily razor for over 4 months. Time and time again I find my self swapping out my Muhle R89 for the Super Speed.

:thumbup: I started DE shaving about what 4 months ago? Been using a Muhle R89 (my 1st and (until now) only DE razor). I've been zapped by the RAD virus, and wanted a TTO, so I bid on a 1969 SS (black handle) at ebay auction last week and won the bid. The razor, although not quite as expected, was substantially as described by the seller. It did need a good cleaning (which I'll describe in detail in another thread. The razor was much shorter than expected, with a smaller handle than the Muhle. It is also extremely light. (As usual I bid on the razor and THEN researched more fully instead of the other way around.). :glare:

Anyway, onto the review. I put NA for price b/c I really don't know whether I paid too much or got a good deal. After shipping, total price was $16.00 US. I give the quality a 10 because, well, it's 42 frickin' years old and it works perfectly.

The small handle is a little difficult to maneuver, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. OTOH, the handle length compensates for the razor's light weight (weights about as much as a Mach 3, I think) Somehow, the leverage of the handle on the blade allows a perfect shave without added pressure, thus a perfect 10 for balance.

As for the shave....Wow. Had I done my research 1st, I would have specifically looked for a red tip b/c I have a thick beard. (I'm sure I'll still buy one eventually to feed the RAD monster) My thick beard was no problem for the SS though. Much closer shave than with my Muhle, especially my "goatee area" and just as comfortable. Also, I have to say that I got this result despite very poor technique, as I was rushing. 2 passes (WTG & XTG at blazing speed using a badger brush and Col Conk's soap. Now I feel stupid having paid $60.00 for the Muhle that I may never use again!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I have been using my 1964 Gilette SS as my daily razor for over 4 months. Time and time again I find my self swapping out my Muhle R89 for the Super Speed.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I love my 1955 Gilllette Super Speed Flare Tip A4! This is my all time favorite razor!:001_smile
Simple & reliable - to me the SS is in this way, like a Toyota. The sort of thing you would get if you wanted a quality razor at a great price for a very nice shave.
I use this razor mostly with Astra SP blades, but also to try out new blades.

Price - $18US was pretty good, although you can do better here on BST.

Quality - The razor is built to last, at over 50 years old and still working perfectly it will probably outlast many me, many modern cartridge razors and also many Toyota's!

User Friendly - A little small for me, (I find the handle slightly thin) but it is very simple to use, the head is a good size, not to chunky like a fat boy. I periodically will check the TTO knob is tight during the shave as it sometimes works its self loose. (Only once or twice, but its a reminder to be cautious!)

Grip - I find this excellent. In 6months of daily shaving with this beauty I've not had a slip once. The knurling is great, as is the grip on the TTO knob.

Ease of blade replacement - Couldnt be easier! Perform TTO . Insert Blade. un-TTO.

Aggresiveness - I have found this milder than my HD, and its a very forgiving razor. Gentle when paired with an Astra and light touch, but by no means inadequate. DFS and even BBS is within reach of a 3 pass shave with touch up.

Adjustability - I just use the default setting. :biggrin:

Balance - For me, it could have a little more weight, but there is no need to add preasure to the head when using this razor. It works great.

Over all I reckon this razor is great for a Newbie (its very good to learn on!) and also great for someone with more experience. I love it, and for the price its great value.
The maturation of an excellent Gillette design - the Super-Speed. They can be had cheaply enough on Ebay in good condition and will give many, many, many more years of faithful service.

Although a little on the lightweight side for my taste, it still has a great balance and excellent control. With a fresh, sharp blade one may be in shaving heaven in a few moments as the easily-maneuvered head glides under the jawline.

I too have tried the far-eastern copies of this razor (like the Weishi) but, in all honesty, the original simply cannot be beat.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
hi there:
i see you have become a fan of the tto superspeeds. i'm a fan too, i got three of these little wonders, you will be not disappointed . they don't give the closest shave, but they keep your face from cuts or razor burns, even if you use (like me) feather blades. enjoy the razor !!
i just bought a 1960 super speed on ebay for around $20 - i tried de shaving one other time with an old 3 piece that was around the house and didn't know what i was doing - been researching the past few days and reading posts here - was down to either a new merkur 38c or a late 40s super speed until i ran across this thread - hoping that the 1960 will be good for a newbie

will report back after it arrives and i get a chance to try it out

any suggestions on what blades to use?
My humble review.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
One of the bench marks of the Gillette Company. The SS should be owned by everyone on the forum. It is fairly price, high quality, easy to load and clean, and a great shaver, especially for beginners.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I love this razor! In all fairness, up to this point, the only other DE razor I have used is a Ming Shi. I thought the Ming Shi was a pretty decent razor. Certainly better than the cartridge razors I had used.

But, last week I picked up a lot of 4 vintage razors. (A Fatboy, a long handled black adjustable, a blue star Lady, and a '64 Super Speed.) Decisions, decisions. Which razor was I going to use first? I honestly thought the super Speed would be my least favorite. But after taking each on a quick dry-run - bladeless, of course - I decided that the Super Speed had a very nice balance, and felt really good in my, admittedly, small hand.

So, I lathered up with some Mama Bear's, and went to town. The first thing I noticed was that this razor had a more definite bite than the aforementioned Ming Shi. Once I confirmed that, no, I had not just sliced myself open, I found that I really appreciated the extra bite. I was able to more easily feel whether I had the blade at a proper angle. Plus, it is small enough, light enough, and well-balanced enough, to make it really easy to maneuver in those harder-to-shave areas. As a result, I had my best shave yet.

I'm still looking forward to trying the other razors I bought, but I have a feeling the Super Speed is going to become my go-to razor, for a while at least.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
D
I had this morning my first shave with 1966 SuperSpeed, same razor as is pictured in the pics above. 3 passes and on the last one I was able to go upwards ATG on my upper lip. This I often don't do with my Merkur HDs.

I got a close shave, almost BBS. This is a a bit milder razor than HD, so one needs to concentrate on technique more to get as BBS. Same time I don't think it is too mild, perhaps just right. All in all I feel very happy about this razor. No nicks or cuts or any irritation and this being my first shave with this razor :001_smile

The SS is exactly same size as HD, and seems a quality instrument. HD handle is more heavy while SS is lighter, but still no toy look as the original poster commented. I actually like the look of SS handle more than HD and both razors have a fine grip. The profile of the head is not larger than HD's either, despite this being a TTO razor.
Well, I just cleaned up my Dad's 69 Black handle and I'm gonna have to try it out. Looks like it will get a Derby tomorrow!
I bought my 1967 SuperSpeed about a year ago to see if it would improve on my Merkur HD. There were two things about the Merkur I didn't like: clumsy balance, and awkward blade replacement. The SuperSpeed addressed both of those. The weight and balance are ideal for me, and I much prefer the butterfly doors. The only negative point is that I sometimes wish the SuperSpeed were slightly more aggressive. If I'm not careful, I'll end up with passes that are well above the skin. This is of course a matter of technique, and I've since gotten used to the SuperSpeed's shaving characteristics. I'm happy with it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Awesome razor. I love the sliver super speeds. The best part about this razor is it's short handle that offers just the right amount of grip. The razor also has the right amount of weight. It's heavy enough to do a good job, but also light and small enough to be easy to handle. I only wish that it was a bit more aggresive, but that's why I've just ordered myself a red tip.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
My grandmother told me that she had an old DE that my grandfather used but she couldn't find it, until last week. Turns out it was a 64 Superspeed. I have had it sitting in the bathroom, after a good clean up with the Maas, staring at me wanting to be used for a good week now. I have been exclusively using straights for the past 2 months with superb results all over except the left side of my neck, razor burn city, everywhere else BBS, go figure. Since the razor burn using the straights have not stopped I tried the 64 DE superspeed this morning and was floored!! What an awesome razor! No burn, just clean- far surpassing my '60 Fatboy but not quite as clean as what I get with the straights. I will definitely be using this often and will see if this great morning's shave continues. Price a 10 as it was free:biggrin:. Grip an 8 as it is a bit small for me, and a 5 for agressiveness because it looks like it would be that on the Fatboys adjustable setting of 5 or 6.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I decided to get this DE razor to start wetshaving with, I was very pleased with how it shaved. I have no other experience with safety razors besides this one, but based on my prior experience with cartridge razors, using this razor was amazing. the 5 bladed monsters that im used to shaving with all seemed to have a drag factor, with each blade pulling a bit on my stubble. Not with the Super Speed! The razor felt so smooth against my face. Its handle is a little short than im used to, but it felt very natural and found it easy to let the razor do the shaving. I am very happy with this razor and will surely be using it for years to come.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Justin
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I just tried a 1960 Super Speed this morning. I also have a 1971 black handle that looks like the one pictured earlier in the thread.

The Super Speed produces a very good shave. I like the silver handle better than the black handle - the silver is a little heavier and has a thicker head.

The Super Speed is easy to maneuver - but is not very aggressive. That could be good or bad, depending on your preferences. I also have a Merkuer 38C which is heavy and aggressive. The Silvertip Super Speed might be a good starter DE razor or for someone who finds the Merkur razors too aggressive.

The Silver tips are starting to get more expensive on EBay - which is why I gave it a 9 instead of a 10. But they are cheaper than a new Merkur and might be a good way to go if you want to try DE shaving without spending a lot of money.

I will continue to use both my Super Speeds in my "rotation".
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have one exactly like the picture on the first thread. It is very well made and the screw opener is smooth as silk. The grip is great as the milling on the handle is deep and sharp so in spite of the thin handle it always feels solid in the hand. It does feel tiny compared to my Futur, but is solid and heavy for its size. It gives a beautifully smooth very gentle shave, quite different form my HD and Futur, but just as satisfying in a different way. I think I paid £1, about $2 from a "Car Boot Sale", (I don't know what you call them in America), so it was a real bargain. I bought another one in a junk shop and gave it to my 30 year old son, but he has reverted to a multi bladed horror. I must add, that in spite of this we a still on speaking terms, just!!
Cheers,
Martin
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)