What's new

Gillette Super Speed 1964

Item Description

I bought this J3 Regular Super Speed on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price. It arrived in quite fine condition, but I was surprised when I first looked at it. I have been using a Slant, HD, Progress, and most recently, the 38C. Although the Super Speed is all metal with the classic Gillette butterfly head, it looks like a toy razor compared to any of the Merkurs. It is light and has a short, thin handle. I honestly did not anticipate being all that impressed by its shaving ability given its look and feel. I was very surprised!

First impression: I love the butterfly mechanism for loading the blade. It has never been surpassed. Second impression: really smooth feel on the face. Third impression: amazingly easy to use. After using the 38C about a dozen times in a row, this felt like handling a sports car on a curvy road. My hand was liking the light, thin handle and the easy maneuverability on the tricky spots. Fourth impression: My three-pass shave was every bit as good as the one I get with, say, the HD or 38C. For a "toy," this baby has some bite to it. I wouldn't call it aggressive, but it still cuts very effectively with little pressure. Fifth impression: No razor burn or nicks. None.

Although I think this is a perfect razor for a newbie, I will continue to use it. It is more "fun" to use than most razors, and it gives an outstanding shave. I myself prefer the simplicity of non-adjustables. Judging from the price, these must be widely available on eBay.

Michael

attachment.php
attachment.php

Latest reviews

I love my 1960 Flaretip SuperSpeed.

It's less aggressive than my Merkur 38C.

What's most surprising is the quality of these old Gillette's. They are incredibly well-made for what was, at the time, a very inexpensive razor. The butterfly doors function smoothly, the TTO knob glides. The chrome is still very nice after 50 YEARS.

The SS is probably the best razor for a newbie. Very well-balanced, not too aggressive. Just a darn fine razor.

They just don't make things like they used to. :thumbup1:
tumblty;2811805 said:
I have been using my 1964 Gilette SS as my daily razor for over 4 months. Time and time again I find my self swapping out my Muhle R89 for the Super Speed.

:thumbup: I started DE shaving about what 4 months ago? Been using a Muhle R89 (my 1st and (until now) only DE razor). I've been zapped by the RAD virus, and wanted a TTO, so I bid on a 1969 SS (black handle) at ebay auction last week and won the bid. The razor, although not quite as expected, was substantially as described by the seller. It did need a good cleaning (which I'll describe in detail in another thread. The razor was much shorter than expected, with a smaller handle than the Muhle. It is also extremely light. (As usual I bid on the razor and THEN researched more fully instead of the other way around.). :glare:

Anyway, onto the review. I put NA for price b/c I really don't know whether I paid too much or got a good deal. After shipping, total price was $16.00 US. I give the quality a 10 because, well, it's 42 frickin' years old and it works perfectly.

The small handle is a little difficult to maneuver, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. OTOH, the handle length compensates for the razor's light weight (weights about as much as a Mach 3, I think) Somehow, the leverage of the handle on the blade allows a perfect shave without added pressure, thus a perfect 10 for balance.

As for the shave....Wow. Had I done my research 1st, I would have specifically looked for a red tip b/c I have a thick beard. (I'm sure I'll still buy one eventually to feed the RAD monster) My thick beard was no problem for the SS though. Much closer shave than with my Muhle, especially my "goatee area" and just as comfortable. Also, I have to say that I got this result despite very poor technique, as I was rushing. 2 passes (WTG & XTG at blazing speed using a badger brush and Col Conk's soap. Now I feel stupid having paid $60.00 for the Muhle that I may never use again!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I have been using my 1964 Gilette SS as my daily razor for over 4 months. Time and time again I find my self swapping out my Muhle R89 for the Super Speed.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)