What's new

Gillette Super Silver

Pros: None
Cons: Very expensive
I bought them in The Netherlands, they where the only DE Blades that I could found in shops like Kruidvat and the seller said like they where so expensive because shaving with an DE is more off a luxery thing, ofcourse this was just sales talk.

But I bought them anyway as I wanted to give these Gillette a try, as I'm quite a fan off Gillette, with cartridge shaving only Gillette could do the job, the rest was even worsere, but these blades off Gillette might be one off the worse DE blades they sell, because other Gillette blades are quite good.

So I wouldnt recommend any one buying these and please dont be fooled by the brand, because yes Gillette is expensive, so you might think these would be better then the blades Hema sells, but no these are worse.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
I have to warn you. Don't buy these blades. After trying at least 15 different types of Gillette blades during the last 15-17 years I must admit this is the worst blade bearing the Gillette logo. they are dull, they are harsh, and unbelievably expensive.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Tried these as I am very happy with the Bleue Extra (my favourite), and I could get them cheap. At first things didn't seem bad using my normal routine (prep with Chandrika soap, Arko shave stick, Rotbart 2000 and a good boar). But afterwards I noticed quite some irritation (really burning) and I was not well shaven. Could still feel beard. Usually with my normal routine now I get a BBS (or very close), so this is simply bad...Go for the Bleues or the Swedes.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
D
I've seen these in France, usually the only available or if another it is usually Gillette Bleue Extra. The super Silvers are 4x the price but the Bleue extra are so much better and dirt cheap. If you're ever over there, do yourself a favor and pick up a pack for about Euro 1,50. You'll be glad you did and you'll want to bring some home with ya!
Saw this in Walmart in Canada, outrageously priced ...
This blade sounds like the Gillette "Super Inoxydable" sold here in the US at the Rite Aid chain of pharmacies. Here the package card is red with a black border. There is a "made in Russia" note on the back of the card. I have not tried them, but people who have say similar things about them.

The last time I looked, they were $6.99 for a 10-pack. In some parts of the US recently, people have said they are now $9.99.

Outrageous and not worth it at any price.
These blades are the most common ones in drugstores in the rest of the Netherlands too.
They are simply horrible; the sensation on your skin is like shaving with a woodsaw and I never did more than 2 passes with these. I even used one of them for a second shave, hoping they would get a little smoother. They didn't so no ratings for longevity.
The shave isn't very smooth after 2 passes and believe me; you don't want to go for a 3rd pass.
Marked packaging down because I don't need a blister; more waste of materials that might have been used more usefully.
I agree with the author of the first review that the HEMA blades outperform these and the price for these blades is ridiculous.
I know that Gillette is only making more money, not trying to help the wetshaver with better products, but this is such a crap for such an über-premium price that they should be completely boycotted.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I'm from Holland, and the Gillette Super Silver shown here is the most commonly available DE blade at drogisterij shops such as Kruidvat. Often it is also the only DE blade offered there, among the cartridges. DE razors typically are not supplied.

The blades cost about €7/10 on average (about 8 bucks US) which is a shocking price the blade isn't worth by a mile. So - the price is all wrong.

It certainly isnt the sharpest tool in the box, and provides the least smooth shave of the ones I tried so far (GSS --> HEMA --> Derby in ascending order). I wonder whether Gillette repackages the same blades under different names for different countries, and if so that this may well be the "recycled beercans" kind. Bear in mind that there is drag and such even with a fresh blade.

The house brand of HEMA provided a much smoother shave at almost 1/5 of the price, so once I got one of those packs, this GSS blade became bottom of the stack. One thing in its favor - the packaging is ideal, very convenient to use and with a good blades vault.

I won't cast a vote because I feel I'm not seasoned enough but, though YMMV, if one in Holland wishes to buy blades offline in my view they'd better go to HEMA and buy 50 better blades of their house brand, than going to a drogisterij shop and buy 10 of these with the same money.
Top Bottom