What's new

Gillette Super adjustable

Pros: perfect handle for my hand
Cons: i can't think of one
This is my razor of choice. I used this when I first started shaving in the 1970's and it's still a great razor and in nearly mint condition (the paint on some of the numbers has worn off). I find my best shave on setting 7 and the long handle works well for my large hands. It also allows me to use the razor weight as the main movement force. I can't recommend this razor highly enough. I'm using the German Wilkinson blades right now and it's a perfect combination.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Very adjustable
Cons: Don't like the short handled version as much.
I prefer the longer handled version. My rating for grip is the short handle. Should get a 10 for long handle even though I have small hands. A great newbie razor as well as experienced.
Adjusting the gap allows for shaves at different whisker lengths and thicker soaps/creams. A HUGE feature to me! I will never need another razor.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Adjustability; quality
Cons: Balance?
I started DE shaving with a Progress LH, but after learning more I though the Gillette Super would be the "perfect" razor. It has TTO blade loading, adjustability, all metal construction, etc. I do think it's a fantastic razor and I'm sure it's perfect for many, but it seemed a bit less than the sum of it's parts for me. I also have a Slim and a Fat Boy and although I wouldn't call them perfect either, I seem to get better shaves from them more easily. Those both seem a bit better made than the Super and maybe the balance is a little better too? Hard to say. I still love the Super though and it's not going anywhere. At some point when my technique is better and I've had the chance to try more blades, perhaps it will be perfect for me.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth, light, adjustable to any blade, affordable
Cons: Excellent condition models can be pricey.
This is the world-standard "go to" razor. If you start on this one you have no further need to go another razor as it will not equal the smoothness of this one. I have over 20 razors and four are the long handle model. Unfortunately, I bent one by dropping it. I found there is NO WAY you can straighten it out yourself....it's like a dog with rabies. You have to put it down. I have watched the prices on eBay climb over the past four years. The word is out and getting a good-working, clean one can be a challenge. I sometimes think it's best to "buy now" at a higher price than to bid for a lower one. The "buy now" sellers know you expect top quality. If anyone ever asks me about DE shaving this is the razor I will insist they get first.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I recently got a R-2 1971 SA from Hooisertrooper and I couldn't be more pleased! This is my current go-to razor and hopefully will be for a long while! I think its awesome that a 40 year old product outperforms brand-new stuff! If you don't already own one I suggest picking one up!
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Great Razor!:thumbup:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
My favorite razor, got the gold plated version from a yard sale a few years ago for 2 bucks, money well spent.... :biggrin1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The super adjustable - both long and short versions are very good razors that will help most users achieve a very good result.

Price - N/A since it really depends a lot on wherever you acquire it from. Either eBay or a B/S/T deal from a member.

Quality - This is a very high-quality razor that has probably lasted decades before it made its way to you.

User-Friendly - Very user-friendly because of the TTO and adjustment mechanism. Slight ding because the long version of this razor can be a bit difficult to maneuver.

Balance - Note that the balance for the short razor will be different from the long version. I feel that the long version is slightly more difficult to maneuver especially when going ATG on the chin as your nose can get in the way because of the length of the handle. :biggrin1: This is the reason I gave it a ding on the user-friendly attribute as well.

If you try and acquire this razor, please note that after 1977 (I believe) the base plate was made of plastic, not metal and at least for me, makes those models slightly more undesirable than the earlier models.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
A generous B&B member sold me a super clean 1971 version for $10. It only had one very minor cosmetic flaw (a small chip in the black coating of the handle) which he generously repaired with a dot of black paint before mailing it to me. It looks almost new and it performs just as well as the one I had back in the late 1960s!

It's not my everyday razor (an EJ DE89L is my primary weapon) but I try to use it a couple of times a week and enjoy it very much. I'm still experimenting with the best blade combination, but the adjustability allows me to even use extra-sharp blades such as Feathers without slicing and dicing my throat. I've been getting consistently fine shaves with this razor and I'm planning on adding this to my travel kit for my upcoming overseas vacation.

It's a quality instrument that's been around for 40 years, and with care, could easily last another 40 or 50. It will certainly outlast me! :thumbup1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I like the Slim way more than the Super. It didn't feel right in my hand; it felt top heavy thus the lower score for Balance. I think the handle is too long; it is longer than 4 inches and longer than the Merkur 23C. Love the TTO design and easy of use. I couldn't find the sweet spot on the adjustability scale. The earlier Gillettes are built better.
A good razor but nothing close to my Red Tip or Slim.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have a long handle super adjustable.

Price- Not too bad, I paid $35 shipped. The most expensive razor I have bought, but comparing to other razors I don't think it is bad.

Quality- Built well but there are some cosmetic issues with the handle.

User Friendly- I have read, and I could be wrong, to change the setting you need to loosen the TTO knob. I have found it easier to change settings with the knob loosened but it is not totally necessary. I do loosen the knob because it feels like I am forcing the setting otherwise, it is very smooth with it loose. (I don't know if this is a normal procedure for an adjustable, but it is some thing I have read about the super adjustable, I have not seen it mentioned very often though).

Grip- I love long handles. I have large hands, it is far more comfortable for me. My first razor was a long handle Merkur 180. This is slightly longer but not much. It just feels more comfortable in my hand compared to my red tip or 40s SS.

Ease of Blade Replacement- Same as any other TTO razor. Not too difficult.

Aggressiveness- On 9 it is a beast, more aggressive than my red tip. On 1 it is very mild.

Adjustability- 1-9, don't know what else to say about it.

Balance- Long handle is great, very comfortable in my hand.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This was my first adjustable. It's my absolute favorite razor. Mine is a 1969 with the short handle. I own more DEs than I care to admit. I also have a 1962 Slim, which I like a lot, too. The Super just gives me fantastic, BBS shaves every time I use it, provided I don't use Dorco ST300s. But, that's an issue with the blade, not the razor.
It's a very well made razor that's a year older than me and will probably outlast me.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have been shaving with this razor for about a month now and all I have is good things to say about it. I get great shaves each time I use it. The quality of the razor is top notch (its 30 years old and still performing great). I really like that the razor is adjustable so when I'm feeling really daring I can switch the settings up to 7-9 and get a great shave. Overall this is a nice razor with great balance. Its a good looking razor and I love the larger handle as well. I would recommend this razor to anyone.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is the very razor that I learned to shave with back in 1974. I was born in 1957, so I was 16 years old at the time. The only reason I switched to cartridge (Atra) was because the Coast Guard didn't allow any open blades in basic training in 1975.

For that reason (nostalgia factor) I recently purchased a 1974 version of this razor from a fellow member of this forum.

I gave this razor a "10" in everything, except for the following:

User Friendly: A "6" because you DO have to know what you are doing when handling this razor. Unless you have prior experience, you might not know to loosen the head, adjust, then tighten the head. Still, it really is easy to use if you just use some common sense and do a bit of research on this forum prior to use.

Grip: A "8" because I have small hands for a man (U.S. size 7), it is not quite as intuitive as a Tech, or other razor with a shorter handle. Still, with just a small amount of practice you will find your own sweet spot. Therefore, this handle is a nice, all around compromise for just about all sizes of hands. Just not absolutely perfect for me.

Balance: A "9" because while still great once you find your ideal hold, to me, with small hands, it is not as "right on" as my 1957 Tech or Super Speed.

This razor does have a nice heft and balance to it, all things considered. If I had just slightly larger hands it would probably be just about perfect.

As an aside, I gave this razor a "10" for price. I got mine a few days ago for $15.00 USD shipped. Now, this is a really great deal for a nice, adjustable razor considering what things are going for nowdays. One can easily spend quite a bit more money.

Still, I can't quite get over the fact that I paid somewhere around $3.00 - $4.00 USD back in 1974 when this razor was new. Ah, but times really do change! One just has to keep things in perspective. I could be mistaken, but I think that is the ballpark figure that I spent when my father gave me some money to buy my first shaving gear back in '74.

If you want one of these razors, as I encourage you to, just remember that you don't need to apply any pressure. Use a sharp blade and simply guide the weight of the razor right along and take your time.

Regards,

David
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is a great razor.

It gives a very comfortable shave and rests well on the face with little drag.

As far as being adjustable my only knock would be that even on the highest or most aggressive setting, it is really about the same as a Merkur HD and I was looking for something a bit more aggressive.

That aside, this razor might get as much time if not more then my HD.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I snagged one off of Ebay for $26 in mint, sterilized condition. It's a 1970 model and it's my favorite razor. This Razor really exceeded my expectations for a long shot. Upon receiving, i sterilized once again for good measure (as everyone should) and was ready for my first shave in the evening. I loaded a cheapo Personna USA blade into it and adjusted the razor to a rather tame "3" setting.

WHOA. Stop. Right. Here. This razor gave me THE closest and most comfortable shave i ever had on my very first try. It simply felt great in my hands, glid through the whiskers effortlessly, didn't irritate my skin and simply performed marvelously.

I have not many razors here but out of the ones i have (Merkur #39c Sledgehammer, Ming Shi, Parker 90r and Parker 91r), this one is the best by a wide margin. The only one coming close is the Slanted Merkur 39C but the Merkur is non adjustable and VERY aggressive, so it creates more irritation and you have to be much more careful when shaving as well. Overall the Gillette Super Adjustable gives me the closest shave, even on a "3" setting, without irritating my skin and without the need to be overly cautious when shaving.

I really can't imagine ever giving away this gem of a razor!!!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I've had 2 of these and it just keeps going up in my opinion. I got talked out of the first, and regretted it immediately. Got another and still love it. They were made when Gillette had worked out all the bugs and this is the distillation of all their experience. TTO head, properly knurled handle, easy adjustment. Even the last years with plastic housings under the head are great. If you do not have one of these razors in your collecdtion, or if you are new starting out, this is one you should have!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Price: You can snag one that needs cleaning for under $10. As long as nothing is bent, they clean up well and are good to go. However, cleaned up and polished often sell for a bit more than other vintage razors (not as much as a fatboy) but less than a new adjustable.
Quality: Very good quality overall - my only complaints are that some of these have plastic parts and that I really like the possibility to take tear apart and clean everything out on the inside like you can a fatboy.
User Friendly: Great for anyone - as long as they get the idea to loosen the silo doors before making adjustments
Grip - no complaints - I have never had a grip issue with this razor
Ease of Blade Replacement - just like any TTO - no problem
Aggressiveness/Adjustability: it is a good range. It is a settting milder than a fatboy/slim; however, it still has a good range that will suit the needs of most shavers.
Balance: I use the shorter of the two models, balance feels good. I haven't tried a longer handled one yet.

I originally searched for this razor because it was a birth year model for me. However, it is one of the main razors in my rotation. Honestly, if it weren't for RAD I could be happy with just my T2 super adjustable!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I just shaved with this razor for the first time and loved it. This is my first adjustable and found it a great balance between my two fixed head razors. I also enjoy the nice long handle as it's the longest handled razor i own. The silo doors feel a bit loose when I open them, but fasten nicely. For the price, I'd say this was a great score for me.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is my favorite razor. The balance, for me, is perfect. I get wonderfully smooth and close shaves with this razor loaded with a Crystal blade and set on 4. I was initially drawn towards it because I was looking for birth year razors. The longer handled version is the better version to get this razor in.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)