What's new

Gillette Slim Handle Adjustable

Pros: grip, adjustability
Cons: unable to adjust while shaving
So far this is my 2nd favorite adjustable after my Super Speed. The grip feels nice, the aggressiveness of the settings match the Super and it has a decent weight (not as heavy as the Fat Boy, or so it felt). My biggest beef is that I cannot adjust the Slim (or Fat Boy) while the razor is closed, my Super can adjust up and down in mid stroke if I had the dexterity and interest. All in all, a great razor and has taken its place in regular rotation now.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Well engineered, great weight
Cons: none
Scored a birth year 1963 Gillette Slim Adjustable off ebay, got it from a person who restores them, this one looked like it was brand new. Awesome shaver, and the adjustments really do work. Used a '49 no-code Super Speed for last 3 years, found the Slim Adjustable to be the same as the SS at #3. Went up to #5 for all three passes for a BBS and no irritation (of course great blades also count here, using Gillette Super Platinum and India Swords). Great all around adjustable razor, great balance, good heft. Will prolly be my go to from now on forever.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Adjustability, nice weight and size
Cons: Cleanup
The Gillette Slim Adjustable is a great razor that delivers a smooth comfortable shave (sorry for the cliché, but can't say it any better). The weight is a great balance between heavier stainless steel razors and lighter aluminum or pot metal ones. The adjustment feature lets you dial in the perfect blade gap and even change it during your shave. Blade replacement is easy.

There are only two downsides I can see with this razor. One is that it might not be aggressive enough for some. The other is that cleaning the razors takes a little longer than with 3 piece models, shaving soap and stubble can get caught in it.

At current prices most of the Gillette adjustables are cheaper than modern models and have held up quite well. If you're thinking about getting an adjustable I would start with the Gillette Slim.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Close shave
I found this and a Fat Boy at the local church thrift shop, paid $4.00 for both razors. Note: I've been asking her for the last year and one half to save me any Gillette razors that come in, these were the first in ages that she got. Both were in almost unused condition just needed a little clean up. I used the slim with a code date of J so its from 1964. I own six other DE razors and I have been wet shaving for the last 18 months, the shave I got this morning was the best so far . I've been using Derby blades in all my razors. Tomorrow I will try the Fat boy I feel like I won the lotto. . I'm 70 years old when I was very young there was a Gillette radio spot, "Look sharp, feel sharp, be sharp. Gillette blue blades. I think that's how it went. The point is when these razors were sold for about $1.95 they were a terrific value and showed what American industry could produce in high volume and quality. I am not going to sell either one on Fleabay.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Cant go wrong with a retro Gillette
My favorite razor. I use it every day. Where else in life can you use the same tool, with minimal maintenance, every single day, and it still functions as well as the day it was made. 'nuf said.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Ability to adjust, balance and weight
I may not touch another type of safety razor again! This has become my favorite razor. I love the fact that I can adjust the blade to different parts of my face. Even though it feels a bit top heavy it has very good balance. I haven't tried a Fatboy yet (that's my next target) but I am willing to bet that this one feels more like a precision machine than it's older siblings; nimble and quick. I have not had any cuts of any type since using this razor. What an awesome piece of american engineering!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: adjustability
To me, this is the overall best of Gillette's adjustables. The shorter handle gives it better balance than the Super Adjustable, and the more compact head makes it easier to use under the nose than the "Fatboy". The texture of the handle is grippier than either the earlier or later version.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: attractive and very functional
Cons: they dont make them anymore
Best safety razor I have every used. Buy one just do it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality, ease of use, handle length is just right
Cons: Prices are going UP
Finally picked up one of these as my first adjustable. It's got a nice, weighty feel to it. Quality is top-notch, as with all vintage Gillette products. Handle length is just right, and the knurling ensures a no-slip grip. Blade replacement is a breeze, being a TTO. If i could have only one razor, this would be it, since it can be as aggressive or as mild as you want.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
My go-to razor. I picked one up used from an antique store for $25 and after some experimentation and learning how to use it, it's my favorite. I run gillette super stainless blades in it. If I had to get rid of all my razors except for one, this would be the one I would keep. I PIFed the 49 SS I picked up because this razor made it's existence in my rotation completely redundant.

Turn it up to 9 and let the blade sing as it cuts each hair with the grain. Turn down to 4 and you feel like there is no blade in it at all for XTG, then turn down to 1 for a super safe and close ATG pass. What's not to like?

It's not too heavy, it's perfectly balanced and for being 50 years old and having seen a fair deal of use it's still going strong. I love mine so much I will be having it replated as soon as I can afford it. American manufacturing at the absolute best it ever was, no american industry, past or present, can touch the uncompromising build quality of Gillette razors and the slim is a shining exaple of that.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I believe Gillette achieved perfection with this adjustable model. ( I have used the slim, the fat boy and the short and long super adjustables )

The length, profile of the head, range of adjustability, balance and weight are just right for me and I believe suitable for a great percentage of users.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is my favorite adjustable razor. I love everything about it. Loading a blade is easy thanks to the TTO design. I wish I had started DE shaving with a vintage Gillette such the Slim or the Red Tip.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I got two Gillette slims as gifts and they both perform excellently! :thumbup1:

I would recommend getting your hands on one as soon as possible.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The Slim and Super Adjustables are my absolute favorite TTO razors, and the best shaving razors I own, period. Priced right. Easy to load and use. Well balanced. Adjustable. High quality. What's not to like?
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
i love this razor. im hoping to start collecting as many adjustable gillettes as i can because of this one (maybe two more slims and a fatboy). i recommend this razor to anyone that wants to get there hands on there first adjustable:thumbup:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is a great razor for anyone to try. Although I prefer heavier 2 or 3-piece DE razors I have to say that the Slim is pretty perfect for the definition of "all around shaver" and probably represents the pinnacle of Gillette's efforts to insert "technology" into their razors.

It's perfect in every category except for price and user-friendliness. Although these are plentiful and can theoretically be had for cheap, they are also popular, which means that oftentimes you'll be locked in a fight with 15 other people for a decent model and the price can climb to $30 and above; and as others have said, mint versions go high as well.

It's a TTO and blade-loading is obviously straight forward, along with the adjustability feature, allowing you to go as mild or aggressive as you'd want, but it takes some experimenting, and even though Gillette built these very well it's just another thing that can break. I'm not saying it will, but like all TTO's, the possibility is there.

Overall and very good razor to have.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Every vintage Gillette I try, I ask myself, "How could this be any better?" All of the Gillette products, from the first to the last, were high quality products. The Slim is no different. I love the adjustable concept. It is like owning 9 razors in one. It was truly "Every Man's Razor" because one has the ability to change the attack angle any time one wished. I even sometimes change the angle between passes. It is well balanced and very user friendly and can be picked up at a very reasonable price.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
It's a great adjustable razor, less aggressive than a Progress but better than a Progress in my opinion.
The weight of the razor is just fine, not too heavy and not too light, and well- balanced.
The head of the razor is small so it's better for those hard to get area.
And compared to a Progress when you load a blade inside it's spot on.
A shame Gillette stopped making those razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
My everyday razor.. Price was great, I told my dad I was looking into using safety razors, he walked to the basement and said here are your grandfathers...

The adjusting takes sometime to get use to but WOW once you figure out what your doing...
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Lets go down the list.
The price was right @25.00
For being as old as it is everything is really smooth, and looks great.
This is very user freindly. I am a noob to the DE sceen and I found it very easy to get use to it.
Great grip, feels very good in my hands
Blades are very eas to replacel.
I shave at #7 which is not that aggressive. I will go up to 9 tomorrow. But for the most part it is not that aggresive.
The balance is great. The feel in my hand is wonderfull. It is now a joy to shave. I am glad I started my DE journey with this razor.:thumbup:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)