What's new

Gillette Sensor Excel

Pros: Excellent Shave
Cons: None
Of all the cartridge razors this is the best! I use it for travel with Shave Secret Oil. When I want that extra close shave I use the Sensor to follow up the DE. You can get at least ten shaves that way.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
I've been using the Sensor Excel for the last month or so because I've had a lot of traveling to do and also because I've been curious to try it out again and see if it is better or worse than I remember. I'll do my best to evaluate the Sensor Excel system on its own merits; any comparisons to DE or SE equipment are used to provide a frame of reference for those who haven't used a cartridge razor in some time.

Price: Not bad for a cartridge system, but not as economical as DE or SE blades. At the price I usually pay for Sensor Excel carts, my cost per shave is between $0.30 and $0.35, which is excellent compared to the Mach 3 or Fusion razors and on par or slightly lower than the Schick Hydro razors. By way of comparison, my cost per shave using a DE razor loaded with Feather blades is about $0.15.

Quality: Very solid feel, although the construction is all or mostly plastic. The handle is heavier than my Trac II but doesn't come close to matching the solid feel of my Merkur or Parker DE razors. Cartridges attach firmly with no slop or play.

User Friendly: The Sensor Excel has a thinner head than most newer cartridge systems so it's very easy to maneuver in tight spaces and to put the blades right where you want them.

Grip: Excellent with spots of grippy rubber-like material running down both sides of the handle. Wet or dry, this razor never slips on me.

Ease of Blade Replacement: It's a cartridge system, so it's dead simple to change blades. As I noted earlier, the cartridges sit on the handle firmly and with no slop or play.

Aggressiveness: The Sensor Excel feels very mild on my face, much like a Gillette Tech.

Adjustability: The razor is not adjustable, but the head pivots and the blades are spring-loaded to help keep the razor on your face at the optimum angle.

Balance: Most of the weight of this razor is in the handle and is evenly distributed.

Overall: I'll keep it short and say that the Sensor Excel is probably the best cartridge razor I've used; I get great shaves every time out. It's definitely worth keeping around for the days I don't feel like using a DE or SE.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I said this numerous times before that the Sensor Excel was the last decent product Gillette made.

Thanks,
Mike
I recently reinvested in this razor due to the following:

1) If I had time each morning I would swear by a merkur progress and some palmolive shave cream, however I'm lucky if I can get 15 minutes in the bathroom before the others in my family need to use it, therefore the shave I need to have needs to be reasonably quick but close too.

2) On average it takes me about 20 minutes to shave with a DE razor.

I'd had enough with multi bladed razors that had a massive "footprint" i.e. fusion and quattro.

I saw this in the local chemists and thought I's give it another go as I had my first ever shave with one of these when I was 13.

When used with a decent shaving cream or soap in the morning it does produce a really great result, not BBS but which cartridge razor is ? I've found the cost still is somewhat expensive but with a little shopping around you can get the price down to about £8-9 for 10 cartridges. The razor is a doddle to shave with and changing the cartridges is ridiculously easy.

By the time I've done wtg, xtg and also atg with a little touch up, I have a close shave with no nicks or irritation. The weight while light is ideal and the quality of the cartridges and shave is really good too. The grip is pretty good too, even with soap still on your fingers it doesn't go anywhere.

If you need a quick, easy shave in the mornings and either want to stay with cartridges or just can't spend enough time in the mornings shaving then I'd recommend this!
It is what it is.

One of the cartridge razors I don't despise.

Still costs more then DE blades, but you can shave with it in your sleep.

The missing link between early safety razors and pancake sized cartridges.
My father in law shaves with this, and refuses to listen to my DE/wet-shaving sales pitches. He swears by it. I can't comment on it, but there is at least one person out there that agrees with you.
I know what you're thinking; "Why would anyone review a razor Gillette barely acknowledges exists anymore, and a cartridge razor at that? On THIS board?"

Well, the short answer is because it's a damn good razor.

I am one of those guys who went from DE back in the 70s, down the road to all the latest multiblade razors and then back to DE. Hell, I have a straight sitting there waiting for me to get time to learn it. So why do I even own this thing? It's a travesty. A blight on B&B!

I had it laying around and after I bought the Fusion, tried it and went back to DE, I had to have something I could use when traveling, in a BIG hurry, tired or broken out (I get acne periodically - embarrassing for a 53 year old, but that's one of the penalties for being a transplant patient and on immunosuppressors - you break out. And deal with it :) Anyway I grabbed it, got some carts and re-tried it. I was amazed at how well it worked. It kicked the Fusions butt in terms of comfort and shave, and while it wasn't up to DE standards my shave was acceptable for work. I have no problems clipping off facial projections, no irritation, it takes zero attention to shave with, and travels nicely. It's also cheaper to feed than any other cartridge razor I've found.

Breakdown;

Price - not bad. $7 buys a handle with two carts. $30 buys 25 carts at Sams club. Not DE cheap, but not Fusion stupid either.

Quality - Excellent. The handle is good and grippy, carts are well made.

User friendly - the term no brainer was invented for this razor.

Grip - super. The ribs on the handle make for an excellent grip.

Ease of blade replacement - click out the old one, snap on a new one. It doesn't get easier.

Aggressiveness - aggressive enough to shave well without irritation and without getting mangled. Middle of the road.

Adjustability - NA

Balance - nicely balanced. The whole thing is quite light and handles well.

If you see one and need a cartridge razor for any of the reasons I mentioned, you won't regret buying this one.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)