What's new

Gillette Rubie

cthompsonx;1364223 said:
I wonder, then, if these are the same blades packaged as Flying Eagles - per my review:

Flying Eagle DE's - 5/pkg; price per pkg. $1 CAD; marked Stainless Steel Shanghai China; paper wrapper shows Gillette Vector trademark, and illustrates, oddly, how to insert a Vector cartridge into a Vector razor.

Afaik they are both made by the same plant (Flying Eagle, Shanghai).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Unknownsoldier;1355132 said:
I have to say though the only odd bit is, it explains about a cartridge razor inside the blade packet..........??????? :confused::confused::confused:

Tom

I wonder, then, if these are the same blades packaged as Flying Eagles - per my review:

Flying Eagle DE's - 5/pkg; price per pkg. $1 CAD; marked Stainless Steel Shanghai China; paper wrapper shows Gillette Vector trademark, and illustrates, oddly, how to insert a Vector cartridge into a Vector razor.
On my first have with these great little blades, I think I may have pressed a bit hard, as I got a burn like you get from any decent ruby (Brits should get this joke ;-) )..... But after my second shave; nothing, just a BBS...

I rate this blade as far superior to Merkur (I use Merkur if my skin has flaired up and want something not harsh....), and not quite as good as Feather (My go to blade, besides Wilkinson, great blades, hard to beat), but a decent blade none the less.

My shaves were done with L'Occitane soap, and Merkur progress tightened fully. I have to say though the only odd bit is, it explains about a cartridge razor inside the blade packet..........??????? :confused::confused::confused:

Packaging was satisfactory, after all what do you need other than a blade pack and box??? The two layers was a nice touch, and so far the blade has done three good shaves, wondering if my next shave will be the same or worse?

Tom
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Ahh....my first taste of DE. How sweet it is. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this giant mega-corporation of shaving world domination, being manufactured by a giant faceless nameless Chinese mega subsidiary. "Developing" nations seem to have a loose grasp of conservation and as such, do not use the products that we use in the same way, or for the same reasons. Enter the gillette rubie DE blade. My first experience for this blade was getting a haircut and one of these was used to "clean up the areas around the ears, etc". Soon thereafter, I stumbled upon LeisureGuy's blog, and the rest is history. In the Philippines, this is the only commercially common DE blade that you will find. "Dorko" , gotta love that name, just screams confidence, being the only other blade found here that I would dare use. Anyways, I really cut my teeth on this thing, using it for my first 45 or so DE shaves. I started off rough, and then figured out the ins and outs. Now that I have gone through a sampler pack by LetterK, I can say that the Gillette Rubie, at $0.90 US per 6 pack, falls in line with my experiences with the IP or Derby. A good shave. Not as sharp as its Swedish 2nd cousin twice removed, nor it's Japanese neighbor, but sharper than the Merkur for sure. I would like the shaving world to know that the Rubie will be here when you forget your stuff back at home, and that beyond the great price in a retail pack, you could actually find your blade niche hidden under the counter of a store selling "skin whitening cream" and fish sauce. Oh yeah, you can try this bad boy out packaged with a plastic handled and bodied Rubie razor as well. Don't laugh, it is my go to razor.:blink:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)