What's new

Gillette Rubie Click!

Pros: Cheap, Effective
Cons: Closeness of shave, Durabilty?
I bought the Gillette 7 O'Clock (Indian) version of this. It is green. I don't know if it is the exact same razor that is reviewed here, but it sure looks like it is. I bought it at a local Indian grocery store in Charlotte and it came with two blades of the same brand.

I have to say, I like this thing. It is very benign. Regrdless of the blade I use, I get a predictable, safe shave. I don't get a BBS shave with it, and I don't think anyone could, but it is very safe. For these reasons, cost and idiot-proof safety, I think it is a great razor for beginners. It's so safe, in fact, that it won't teach them to respect a DE razor, but it will win them over to DE shaving. I think you could explain to a beginner that the click is a good way to get over any anxiety about switching to DE shaving. Really, if they could live with getting their 5 O'Clock shadow at 3PM, and have a supply of these for when the hinge breaks, they could use these forever.

I think the hinge can be made to last if care is taken in opening it. Only open it as little as needed to slip the blade in and out and I think it will last a long time, maybe even a few years. We likely will never know though because none of use are likely to use one daily long enough to break it. Likely, we will use them occasionally, and if that is the case, the click might never break it's hinge.

The quality is about like the free toys that come in my kids' fast food meals. The click is not the stuff dreams are made of. But, one of these and a 100 count pack of Derbies will get someone a year's worth of shaves for about $10.00 and they don't need to even buy a styptic pencil. I can even shave with bath soap with this things and not get burned or nicked.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: none
Cons: weight, material
:cursing: bought as a travel item because it was super cheap - worst shave ever in my entire 63 years! I'll continue to use my Wilkinson disposables for travel. At least I can fashion a somewhat better shave with them.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Used one this morning while camping. Put a Super Thin platinum in it, some Williams shave oil on my face and I just shaved away. As easy as a cartridge razor. Did a nice job, got a close and comfortable shave in two with some touch ups. Better than I expected. Will keep this one for traveling (that is camping for me ;)). Worth a try.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I have the version made in Thailand. It is very well made, for a "cheap" plastic DE razor. With a little common sense and care, you will not cut yourself installing or removing the blade. I really like this razor. I have much better razors that I use 99% of the time, but if I travel I take this with me so not to worry if the Merkur's or antique Gillette's, or even the Parker might be lost. This is a good DE razor. When it goes bad, the replacement cost is super low :biggrin1:
Every once in a while a rumor starts on this forum or one of the others that Gillette is going to start making DE razors again. It's not a rumor. Gillette still puts its brand on this DE, marketed outside the United States. The bad news is that this is a DE made by a 21st century Gillette that long ago abandoned quality durable products in favor of four dollar blade cartridges. It is a cheap plastic mockery of the classic double edge razor.

This Click! was purchased in Makati City, Philippines, for P16.75--about 40 US cents. The packaging says it was made in China for Proctor and Gamble Distribiting (Phils) Inc. It comes with one Gillette Rubie blade.

My major complaint about the razor itself is the loading mechanism. One flips the latch on one side and the top opens on a thin plastic hinge that probably won't last more than a few dozen loadings.

I thought the weight would an issue. The loaded razor weighs in at just two tenths of an ounce. It requires added pressure while shaving but because of the light weight this does not seem uncomfortable.

As much as I wanted to hate the shave I just couldn't. It wasn't great, but was much better than expected. It was certainly on par with a single blade Bic disposable. Of course the shave could vary widely because of the plastic construction. It's not made to close tolerances and could warp over time.

This razor probably won't make it into my regular rotation, but it's good enought that I want to recommend a use for it. Perhaps backpacking or some other activity where weight is a serious issue. One of these and a few blades would probably weigh less than several disposables and the hiker could take along his favorite blades.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)