What's new

Gillette Old Style

Pros: Lightweight and easy to shave under your nose
Cons: Changing the blade is not difficult but could be less of a hassle and the handles tend to crack ( only affects appearance)
I have recently purchased a 1920's open comb and I love it! I was a little leery after some reviews stated that todays blades dont fit well in it and that you should most likely shim it to receive a better shave... This is absolutely not the case! I have tried two blades in mine, the Crystal Red and Feather, both have given me excellent shaves with little to no irritation! As a matter of fact, I received a BBS shave this morning with this razor loaded with a 4 day old Feather blade. Do not be afraid but be respectful and use proper technique and you too will experience all that I have! Highly recommend this razor!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Reactions: China shaver
Pros: Maneuverability, Simplicity
Cons: Weight (Light)
Mine is a 1917 Hollow Handle Pocket Edition, which I picked up on "The Bay". After shaving first (on the DE curve, that is) with a Merkur Futur, then a Fatboy, and a Red Tip, I thought I would be disappointed in this razor-- it seemed smallish and light-weight in comparison.

Wow, was I surprised. It IS light, but because of the sheer simplicity of the head design, it's almost like shaving with a DE blade on top of a drinking straw (a metal drinking straw, that is). While I found the (lack of) heft a bit "different" than my other razors, the size offers a maneuverability that is unmatched in my previous shave experience. I was able to reach areas directly under my nose, as well as in front of my ears, and around my jaw, so easily that I didn't need the "manipulation" so often necessary with larger heads at all.

All in all, I'm impressed. Nice close shave with a Feather blade, with minimal irritation. If I could change anything, it would be adding a little more weight-- as I am more used to (and prefer) a razor that can "guide itself" a bit more due to its weight.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Reactions: China shaver
Pros: Comfortable and ornate silver handle
Cons: Teeth on the comb feel sharp to my face.
My Gillette Old Type safety razor is a 1909 model. It features traditional 3 piece construction. The razor is somwhat heavy for its size. The handle is silver plated, hexagonally shaped, and it has an attractive ornate design. It is an Old Type variant, that was manufactured for Gillette under contract by the American Button Company, that featured a beautiful sculptured handle.

This medium aggressive razor shaves fair with a sharp Feather blade. My main complaint is that the razor is not comfortable to the face. The teeth on the comb feel sharp and uncomfortable.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Price: Got my 1919 J model for 99¢.
Quality: This is a war production model, so it has the look of something a bit rushed. You can see the machining grooves on both surfaces of the under plate, and the handle (like almost all from this era, made from rolled sheet metal) is cracked. On the other hand, for something to remain this usable after almost a century isn't too shabby!
Grip: The knurling is not very deep and does not run the length of the whole handle, but this didn't really present any problem. Just wish it felt more secure.
Blade Replacement: The foibles of a three-piece, though the three alignment posts help. Even so, there was just enough play while tightening that it took a couple tries to get the blade perfectly even.
Aggressiveness: Certainly the most aggressive razor I've ever used. A lot of blade exposure made the shave feel much like a straight.
Balance: This Old has a hollow handle; I think the weight of a solid handle would help.

Overall, I had a bit anxiety approaching this razor, but after just a couple strokes I knew I was in for something special: one of the best shaves of my life. I'll likely PIF my Old to a friend, but will keep my eyes open for another.

Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
I have two: one from 1915 and one from 1920. Never thought I would go for Gillette, but I really like these razors. Both give me a very smooth and close shave. Getting the angle right is very easy with an oc. Modern blades fit without problem. They can still be found for just a handful of dollars (otherwise I would not have them ;)), so find one and try for yourself.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Wonderful razors!

I switched from a 40's Super Speed to a pocket edition Gillette Old Type and have never gotten a better shave from a razor.

The original ball end handle on mine is long gone and it is fitted with a nice solid brass handle which has the perfect heft for my shave.

Unlike the original reviewer I find that shimming the blade is absolutely not necessary, this razor works just fine with modern blades and I use Super Thins, Derbys and Red Pack IP in it the same as I would any other razor.

Two thumbs up! :thumbup:

Wp
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
This was my first razor. I found in in the middle of a dirt road in a remote mining town - I was 15 at the time. I took it home, cleaned it up and used when I started shaving a few years later - with carbon steel blades. It was far too aggressive for a light youth's beard and I soon abandoned it in favour of a modern razor.

After many years of using goop and multi-blade cartridges my son talked me into DE shaving so I dug out the old Gillette from the shed. The handle had split - I repaired it.

Results: a good-enough shave. Nice weight and balance but more aggressive than I wanted. I don't have a heavy beard and an open-comb razor is too much for me. I bought a new DE razor and returned the Gillette to the odd-and-ends drawer.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Old style combs are one of my favorite razors.

Price- They can be had for almost nothing.

Quality-The quality of a razor that is 80 yrs old, speaks for itself

User Friendly- Changing blades is no big deal, unless you want to shim the blade. I find it shaves just fine without any shims.

Grip-Other then the crack on most handles, I have had no problems with the grip

Aggressiveness- I find the Old to give a pleasantly mild, smooth shave.

If you have not tried a Old style, you might be surprised by the time tested shave.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Nice handle on this razor ..., the old handles are quite often solid and quite hefty. The old style doesn't really work with modern thin DE blades, but shimming the razor helps ..., although to be truthful only the NEW style comb head works properly with modern blades.

Regards
John

My ratings apply to all the old style combs - one for the collector.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)