What's new

Gillette Old Style

Item Description

Nice handle on this razor ..., the old handles are quite often solid and quite hefty. The old style doesn't really work with modern thin DE blades, but shimming the razor helps ..., although to be truthful only the NEW style comb head works properly with modern blades.

Regards
John

My ratings apply to all the old style combs - one for the collector.

Latest reviews

Pros: Lightweight and easy to shave under your nose
Cons: Changing the blade is not difficult but could be less of a hassle and the handles tend to crack ( only affects appearance)
I have recently purchased a 1920's open comb and I love it! I was a little leery after some reviews stated that todays blades dont fit well in it and that you should most likely shim it to receive a better shave... This is absolutely not the case! I have tried two blades in mine, the Crystal Red and Feather, both have given me excellent shaves with little to no irritation! As a matter of fact, I received a BBS shave this morning with this razor loaded with a 4 day old Feather blade. Do not be afraid but be respectful and use proper technique and you too will experience all that I have! Highly recommend this razor!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Reactions: China shaver
Pros: Maneuverability, Simplicity
Cons: Weight (Light)
Mine is a 1917 Hollow Handle Pocket Edition, which I picked up on "The Bay". After shaving first (on the DE curve, that is) with a Merkur Futur, then a Fatboy, and a Red Tip, I thought I would be disappointed in this razor-- it seemed smallish and light-weight in comparison.

Wow, was I surprised. It IS light, but because of the sheer simplicity of the head design, it's almost like shaving with a DE blade on top of a drinking straw (a metal drinking straw, that is). While I found the (lack of) heft a bit "different" than my other razors, the size offers a maneuverability that is unmatched in my previous shave experience. I was able to reach areas directly under my nose, as well as in front of my ears, and around my jaw, so easily that I didn't need the "manipulation" so often necessary with larger heads at all.

All in all, I'm impressed. Nice close shave with a Feather blade, with minimal irritation. If I could change anything, it would be adding a little more weight-- as I am more used to (and prefer) a razor that can "guide itself" a bit more due to its weight.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Reactions: China shaver
Pros: Comfortable and ornate silver handle
Cons: Teeth on the comb feel sharp to my face.
My Gillette Old Type safety razor is a 1909 model. It features traditional 3 piece construction. The razor is somwhat heavy for its size. The handle is silver plated, hexagonally shaped, and it has an attractive ornate design. It is an Old Type variant, that was manufactured for Gillette under contract by the American Button Company, that featured a beautiful sculptured handle.

This medium aggressive razor shaves fair with a sharp Feather blade. My main complaint is that the razor is not comfortable to the face. The teeth on the comb feel sharp and uncomfortable.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)