What's new

Gillette Lady L1 (1966)

Pros: handle length
Cons: agrresiveness
I'll say I'm not a huge fan, but I wouldn't kick this lady out of bed either. It's a well made razor with an incredible handle. I'm not sure why the shave gave me so many problems. Is it really that much milder than a SuperSpeed of the same era? I get a much better shave from those. This was just a tad rough.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
I bought this razor 2 weeks ago, i heard so much good about it before so when i saw a nice one i bought it.
But let's face it, otherwise if u have a very light beard that razor just doesnt shave.
The first time i used it i loaded it whit a brand new Feather , i was quite exited to shave whit it.
Done all the good prep like usual but when i started to shave:eek:, the feeling i had was worst than a disposable Bic, it just doesn't shave i had to put pressure and i nicked myself at a place i can say i never nicked myself before. So i decided to end the shave whit my 1904 witch was perfect.
I wouldn't recommend it to shave but if u have a nice set it's good to keep in the collection.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is my first used razor that I have purchased. Saw it in an antique store and figured it was worth giving it a shot for $6. I was very impressed with the quality and condition.

Got it home and showed it off to everyone not realizing it was a lady razor. :blushing:

I get a pretty good shave (very mild) with it (with a Feather) but my go to razor is still my 38C.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is my first DE shaver and I bid on it on Ebay for $10.00 plus $3 s&h.

It shaves closer then my old Sensor excel3 bladed shaver, it is easier to shave with this then with a 1 bladed bic.

Mine is from 1971 and it looks like it has hardly been used. It is a real beauty and I will stay with this shaver . Someday I might get a different one to see if it is better , but I doubt it.
:thumbup:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I inherited my Granfather's Fat Boy and either his or my Grandmother's blue star ladies Gillette. I am DE newbie, but mastered the Fat Boy pretty well. I decided to give the ladies DE a try and - WOW! I found the one for me!! Whatever the fixed blade setting equates to on the Fat Boy is perfect. I used '5' on it, but the ladies model seems to shave even closer, but safer!? The longer, lighter handle doesn't bother me, and the 'flatter' head gets under my nose better. When using The Body Shop's new cream, I can shave at Fusion speed and quality without problems.

Speedy
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have the pink version K-4 (1965) from Argentina.

Well balanced, mild shave. The long handle gives added weight and makes it easy to balance (although the extra length will not appeal to some). Cool, "Retro/Jetson-y" design.

One of the easier razors for me to master--and visitors to the bathroom always comment on it (it matches the vintage pink tiled floor, counter and shower stall!)!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I have one of these in "champagne" color, which I think looks masculine. Great shave - but mild. I would equate it to a slim adjustable set to 3.

Great razor - but too mild for me unless I use a Feather blade.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
It is one of my favorite razors. Clean and comfortable result is assured. Very well made. The plus side is they are generally in very good shape found on eBay or local markets and priced very reasonable.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
D
I've bought my Gillette Lady from eBay for about 25 euro's and have been shaving with it for three months now. I'm very pleased with this razor. My first razor was a Gillette Super Speed black tip and I really had to be carefull with that one because the blade sticks out more then with the Gillette Lady. So the agressiveness of the Lady is less then with the black tip. When starting shaving with the Gillette Lady, I hardly ever get cuts anymore and the shave is still very smooth. I use the Derby razor blades which work fine for me with this razor. I can really recommend this one if you start shaving with a DE (double edged) razor. My razor is blue with silver stars on it. Special to the Gillette Lady is that it has a longer handle (11 cm) which really improves the grip you have on the razor. I also noticed that as the blade doesn't stick out to much, the risk of setting the blade to high and cutting a bit in my nose, as happenend several times with the Gillette Super Speed, is much less. I even can shave my face twice now, which was never possible with the super speed. I read a review stating that the Gillette Lady is the same as the Super Speeds. After using both of them for several months, I don't agree with this. The Gillette lady is a very smooth and different razor which is very usuable for us guys.

Some stats:
Gillette "Lady" (made in U.S.A.)

My razor carries the date code: L-1 (MANUFACTURED: 1966)

The handle has a softly turquoise colour and on the upper section turquoise stars are engraved. Total length: 4 3/8" (11 cm)

The razor uses all modern double edge blades.

proxy.php
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly