What's new

Gillette Knack

Pros: Mildness
Cons: Mildness
Great, high quality shaver in my daily rotation. Made in 1968 it is easy to use once you get used to its slight top-heaviness. In fact, it is so easy to use and of such good quality it puts many "new" Asian shavers to shame especially when cost is compared. They are usually in good condition. I've only seen a few that were dogs on online auction sites. Find one in good shape like I did and buy it! You'll love how it shaves your face. It is not a very aggressive shaver though, but I don't need an aggressive razor anyway.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Koss;1349674 said:
The shave is, in my opinion, the perfect balance of agressiveness... or rather lack of aggression, and efficently mowing down that beard of yours. You feel the blade exposure... you think when you find that perfect angle to hold the head at... and the feeling of the blade that it will be aggressive!

Found one yesterday and just used it for a final touchup after using a Fatboy...of the two, I like the Knack MUCH better. Was trying to put my finger on exactly why, then saw your review. I agree 100%. It's supposed to be a relatively mild shave, but isn't really...can't really explain it but you're close! Weird razor, but good.

If you haven't tried a Knack, it's different, true, but might just work better for you than you think.
I have a few razors from the likes of such companies as Parker, Merkur, and Gillette. I really do think that this is my favorite razor! Its interesting because... i didn't think i would like it!

Its not all that sexy looking... I have the blue handled one. With a metal tip at the bottom. When I felt it, I was surprised how TOP HEAVY this thing is! Wow. What surprised me more was... the smooth action of the TTO mechanism. Best I've felt by far!

These guys seem to really stand up great to the test of time. I have yet to see one that does not look near new. That is my individual experience so far though.

The shave is, in my opinion, the perfect balance of agressiveness... or rather lack of aggression, and efficently mowing down that beard of yours. You feel the blade exposure... you think when you find that perfect angle to hold the head at... and the feeling of the blade that it will be aggressive! But really... it is nearly as gentle as my 3 piece TECH!

Yet those whiskers the mowed down like no other! Top of my list!

I have only used Sharp Stainless as they are my baseline razor blade to test with. This razor changed this blade into something more than the sum of all the collective parts in todays shave. Amazing.

Everyone deserves to get one! And perfect for a beginner! Price is rock bottom too! UNDERRATED!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Reactions: razorfool
Very good user friendly razor. Light weight, yet well balanced. Easy to use, very forgiving. Long handle is a nice change of pace from the norm. All-in-all a wonderful little bargain shaver.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Theres one thing no super-razor out there can compete with: My Knack was given my by my father, who used that Knack to shave with all my life. Pure nostalgia, cat's in the cradle and all that.

He gave it to me when he decided to grow a beard and trim it, it lay unused in my bathroom for years until recently I started DE shaving.

But, I'll try be at least somewhat objective.

The handle is plastic, a minus. It has next to no weight to it which makes the razor topheavy, and as a whole fairly light. The handle also tapers, it hasnt slipped from my hand yet but I could see it do that, with soap and water involved.

Of the three blades I used (Gillette Super Silver --> HEMA/Shaving Shack --> Derby Extra, in ascending order of quality) the Derby Extra definitely made the best blade for this razor - for me.

As I lack veteran experience I won't vote, but to me its a pleasant razor to wield.
My father giving his old (made in England)to me. Is a confortable razor.
Good side
Robust construction
Long handle
Low aggressiveness (good for beginner)

Bad sides
Ugly
Plastic handle
No balance
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I had my first shave with a knack a few days ago and i was pleasantly surprised by the results i got with this often over looked razor. I was able to achieve a very close and comfortable BBS shave.

My rating explained (most important)

Price - 10 A perfect ten since these can be had for $10 to $15 shipped depending on the condition.

Quality - 10 A perfect ten as well since it delivers consistent results with the three or four different blades i have tried with it.

User Friendly - 10 A ten again, it's a no frills TTO from Gillette.

Grip - 8 A few points deducted because of the unique design which you need to get used to.

Ease of Blade Replacement - 10 A ten again for a simple TTO system.

Aggressiveness - 10 This is not meant to be a aggressive razor and it is not so a perfect ten.

Adjustability - 10
This is not an adjustable.

Balance - 8 A little top heavy due to the plastic handle but not a major issue, just a bit different to razor in the same class.

As a final note i would highly recommend that every wet shaver give this a shot and discover a diamond in the rough.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I picked one up as part of a buy of several at a shop and decoded to try it out. Mostly due to the long handle, as I've got big hands. What a nice surprise, from the first day, loaded with Derby Extra blade, it delivered a very comfortable shave. A mild shaver, and with a great grip to it. No pressure needed as the head is where the weight is. TTO so it's a snap to change blades. A great, often overlooked value.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
D
I've owned one of these since 1975 and have not used it much over that period. It's now one of my two favourite razors - along with a Parker 90R - and is in use every week. I find it a little top-heavy, but the shave quality is great.
I agree. The Knack is a very nice shaver.
I bought the Gillette Knack having never heard of it before and the results were/are amazing!
I paid just under £5.00 for the razor which is in very good to excellent condition, which I thought was a bargain. It has a plastic handle around 4 inches long which is patterned to help with grip. Under the head is a simple twist to open mechanism that opens the 'Silo Doors' perfectly. The head is well engineered and nickel or chrome plated (I'm no metal expert!:rolleyes:)
The long handle and even weight distribution make it very well balanced, and a treat to use. There is no adjustment for the blade aggressiveness on this razor, but it is set to give a great shave. I personally find the shave very mild and have NEVER had any razor burn from it at all. I use IP blades which for me seem to be the perfect set-up. The 'Knack' is very user freindly, and feels good in your hand. I have had no problem getting a great close shave from this razor right from the start and I have a feeling anyone else will too.
If you haven't tried this razor, then try it NOW, you will not be dissappointed.
All-in-All, a great little razor for everyone! :biggrin:
Thanks for taking the time to read my review.
Van :001_smile
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Reactions: razorfool
R
razorfool
I couldn't agree more with the comments given here. I certainly enjoy my N2 from time to time, as it gives great shaves.
Top Bottom