What's new

Gillette Hydrating Gel

Item Description

I am not doing this review for BB members. Instead I think it is useful for lurking guests to have a base point to compare what they now know to what they could get by using higher end creams (Brushless or not).

Price. At 5$ a can it is not that costly and yet it is not really a good value either. You can get Williams, Arko, Mama Bear Soaps and tabac that will last longer for a similar price and FAR superior value. After 4 Months of daily shaving I have not been able to finish a single soap or cream I have bought.

Quality. You get what you pay for (Don't forget to include the Millions of dollars on adds that you are paying of course). It is a mass marketed product, no better than regular beer, frozen meals, McDonalds. Well maybe I am being a bit unfair with mass marketed products... Aqua Velva is really one of the best AS I have tried.

Scent. One of Reasons to change and never go back to canned goo... mmm Gillette Shaving Gel (Must stay as objective as possible) This product does have a smell and not the best one. Synthetic and metallic, not attractive at all. Either in the morning just after waking up, or at night to indulge ourselves, we have the right to a smell something good.

Latherability. This is not real lather. It just produces a white foam that it is hard to get rid off and clogs like crazy on your razor. It is not even soluble in water and requires more pressure from a M3. Now that I have a fairly good lathering technique, I found that shaving with this gel is not faster than using a good badger brush and tabac or Williams and Taylor's cream... that is super (cheap) lather.

Efficacy. No water? What kind of prep is that? sure, it might protect the skin from irritation, but it is not really softening the whiskers. I recommend other creams (like edge non-lathering cream), not gels or foams (although some have a very good opinion of Zirh).

M.P. It makes sense that the glycerin cream works better than the aloe Vera one... why? I bet that they are not really using aloe Vera to make it. The truth is that I do not use body lotion or anything similar, so when I changed from Shaving Gels to shaving soaps, I noticed a huge difference on my skin. Now it is even smoother than my girlfriend's skin :w00t:

Packaging. The worst packaging I have seen for a shaving product. The review above nailed it. The fact that this gel is presurised only makes it more wasteful and "un-natural". I was never able to get just the right amount.

The only real advantage of this prodcut is how easy to use for a beginnner. What do you have to learn? Other creams can be really tricky when you start using them, so much that IMO, it is easier to learn how to shave with a DE than constantly creating a good lather. Still, once you are able to do it, You'll get the best shaves of your life.

p.s. I used the rating scale I would have used when reviewing any other cream.

Latest reviews

Very good gel :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Had this at cost a few months back when i went from de shaving, apart from that nothing to say.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)