What's new

Gillette G1000

I have 3 of these G1000, two black handle, and one blue handle. The black and the blue handled versions don't have exactly the same head geometry. there is a slight difference, though I can't notice any difference during shaving. The blue handle has a head exactly like a 70-s black handle superspeed. The problem is the handle of the G1000 is not that good as the superspeed. Grip could be better. Also the plastic handle makes the razor top-heavy. I really think this one is a wonderful shaver and a better one than a Tech. Very mild razor, that needs extremely sharp blades. Having tried more than 25 different blades in it, I must say that very few work well, the Astra Superior Platinum is The Blade made for this razor [and 70-s SS of course]. Try this combination. It's the perfect shave. :thumbup1:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Price: I purchased this razor as NOS from B&B user merwtje (real name Erwin, a great guy to deal with) for $19 including shipping. This price was quite fair considering Erwin sent it from the Netherlands.

Quality: The overall build quality is what I have come to expect from vintage Gillettes. The head is well constructed; the silo doors are a teeny bit floppy when loosened but they tighten down perfectly and are aligned correctly. The blade exposure is even on both sides and the safety bar is solid and straight. The plating seems to be just fine. The plastic handle is solid and but feels, well, plasticky and the end sometimes digs into my palm a bit. Although inexpensive, the razor feels like it will last a good while.

User Friendly: This is my first TTO razor and I have to say that I really like the design. It's very easy to change blades and to rinse clean while shaving. While the blade gap and angle with the safety bar is almost identical to my Tech, the TTO design means the head is slightly larger. I haven't had any difficulty maneuvering it around under my nose or other tight spaces, however.

Grip: Good; the ridges on the handle allow for a positive grip although it can get a bit slick when wet.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Very easy. I like the TTO design now that I've had a chance to try it out.

Aggressiveness: For my reviews, I assume that "1" means the razor is mild and "10" means that the razor is a meat slicer in disguise. I prefer mild razors so low aggressiveness scores are better in my book. The G1000 shaves almost identically to my Gillette Tech, which earned a "3" in my review of that razor; therefore, the G1000 also earns a 3.

Adjustability: Not applicable. Some folks have reported that they can shim the blade in their non-adjustable razors to increase the aggressiveness, but I don't plan on trying that for myself.

Balance: The razor is a bit head-heavy, which is not unexpected given the metal head and plastic handle. The balance is easy to get used to and isn't a major problem after the first couple of shaves, although I do have to pay attention when I'm changing directions in order to maintain a correct shaving angle.

Overall: I've been using the G1000 daily for the past week with CVS Personna and Feather blades. I've found that, just like my Tech, it gives a close, comfortable shave with almost no risk of cuts, nicks, or irritation. I can get a DFS with this razor in three passes plus some cleanup around the neck. If you like an aggressive razor, this probably isn't the razor for you; paired up with a Feather blade, however, the G1000 will slice through stubble gently, effectively, and effortlessly. If you want a low-cost and effective everyday TTO razor, the G1000 should be on your short list of razors to try. It would also make an excellent travel or backup razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)