What's new

Gillette Foamy Menthol

Price: It costs $2 and gives about 30 shaves per can, and that's being extremely generous with the amount of cream I used each time. I usually ended up wasting a lot by spraying too much into the bowl. I would never

Quality: I kept telling myself this would be a bad product because it comes in a can, but I find myself using this product more and more every day instead of my more expensive creams. The overall quality is top notch when you consider what you're getting for how much you're paying.

Scent: It has that Gillette chemical smell similar to the scent of their other products, but it also has a very strong menthol smell. If you like menthol, then the scent is pretty decent.

Latherability: It's great because it comes straight out of the can ready to use

Moisturizing Properties: This is where this product falls short. Like other canned creams, it can be very drying and you will need to use a good after shave lotion every time you use this product or your skin will get dry throughout the day.

Packaging: It's a can of foam that costs $2.00, what more could anyone expect.

Overall, I really enjoyed this product. It's now become my number one travel cream and I use it on a regular basis when I'm feeling too lazy to build a lather from another cream.

The menthol is really strong, even stronger than proraso, and your face will come alive if you use this with a brush.

Definitely a great budget product and probably the best canned product on the market in my opinion.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Menthol
Cons: Drying
Unlike most here on B&B I am a fan of canned foam. I only put an 8 for price since it has gone up to $2. I paid $1 + tax last time I bought it.

The menthol bomb is pretty awesome, it felt like your face just chewed a Dentyne Ice and jumped in a cold lake. Scent is pretty powerful as well.

I put 8 for efficacy... Canned foams do tend to be drying, but I enjoy the convenience factor, and price is good, since I can usually get 30+ shaves from a can.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
This is a menthol-lover's cream, especially if you like the effect of cheap menthol cream. Gillette has a nice product here. It smells good, very fresh, and it's a moderately soft cream that adheres nicely to skin, and I've never regretted a shave using this. The packaging is simple and bold, and like almost all Gillette products, nicely designed. As this is a canned cream, its latherability isn't always the best, but it's not terrible either. You can certainly work with it. Moisturizing properties are present, although it's a universal fact that the gas bubbles in canned cream are what dry out everyone's skin, so it's a bit of an uphill battle if you're looking toward Gillette Foamy Menthol to moisturize. All things considered, not the greatest stuff in the world, but you could do a lot worse.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
ive used this on many occasions when im running late in the morning or a quick touch up before bed. i also keep a can of it in the shower for other duties and the girlfriend.
cbird;1078046 said:
I tried some just to make sure I wasn't surrendering to hype in getting these expensive British creams and such. I tried it with my shave ready Zowada straight and found it was in a negative league of its own in terms of lubrication - it really was not much better than shaving with plain water. That's my main beef, but also the most significant type of disappointment a shave cream can offer. The lathering was the best I've seen of any cream (being a great lather right out of the can) and this would make it my first choice if I ever need lather as some kind of a prop (throwing-pies or such).
I was still able to shave with it, but ended up resorting to some Speick to finish up the shave and the difference was dramatic. I'm sticking to my British creams and Speick and others, having the satisfaction in knowing that they really are better; Gillette is for chumps (not to mention the much higher expense of relatively fewer shaves per unit).

Dude,

knock the product, not the users, ok?
I tried some just to make sure I wasn't surrendering to hype in getting these expensive British creams and such. I tried it with my shave ready Zowada straight and found it was in a negative league of its own in terms of lubrication - it really was not much better than shaving with plain water. That's my main beef, but also the most significant type of disappointment a shave cream can offer. The lathering was the best I've seen of any cream (being a great lather right out of the can) and this would make it my first choice if I ever need lather as some kind of a prop (throwing-pies or such).
I was still able to shave with it, but ended up resorting to some Speick to finish up the shave and the difference was dramatic. I'm sticking to my British creams and Speick and others, having the satisfaction in knowing that they really are better; Gillette is for chumps (not to mention the much higher expense of relatively fewer shaves per unit).
I'm going to preface this review by saying I find all shaving creams and soaps to be pretty much identical so far as quality is concerned, but I choose to use brush and soap because I don't like getting my hands dirty and the soaps I use smell fantastic and last forever.

That said, I'm going to review this canned cream, which I used today with a BIC-loaded Merkur L-H, in the context of canned shave creams, keeping my head objective.

The bottom line is the product works, and works well for me. Lathering is brainless.

This Foamy works admirably and its menthol kick is phenomenal - no need for AS afterward.

The scent is that of menthol, and I like that scent. It certainly doesn't smell artificial.

The packaging is nice and sleek; I haven't been checking out Gillette Foamy cans regularly, but I remember they used to look exceedingly ugly; this can is sharp.

So it works, and works quite well at that, feels and smells good - but its ingredients stack is where it loses points. I prefer clean products (that's why if I use canned, it's Noxzema) and this product is replete with junk.

No question, it's quite drying. I suspect this has to do with the SLS in it - but who really knows.

Ultimately, I like this variety of Gillette Foamy and would repurchase and recommend. It has more chemicals in it than I'd like and it is noticeably more drying than Noxzema - my go-to canned cream - but it gets the job done and is pleasurable to use. Having a slightly drier cream isn't a major issue for me, and the whole world is exposed to these chemicals so using it here and there is no scare.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)