What's new

Gillette Fat Boy 1960

Item Description

In my zeal to keep up with the Jones'es I purchased this one on ebay for $60 (ouch) to add to my collection. It was the best one i could find not over $100 in over a weeks of searching. Having never used one and after hearing such good things about them, it's arrival was highly anticipated. When it came I marveled at how such an antique could be in such good shape after what appeared to have been heavy use. Then came the test by fire. Loaded with a fresh derby and used with some Trumpers Rose, i got at best a mediocre shave.

I've tried several blade and cream combos since then with different blade adjustments all getting similar results. I'm not sure what it is, maybe the fatter than usual head, but I just can't get a decent shave from this model. The basic fixed blade Techmatic is a different story. That shaves like a dream.

The cool factor on this model is right up there, but IMHO it just doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to getting the job done. YMMV...

Latest reviews

D
Pros: It's beautiful, Rugged and solidly engineered to last several lifetimes.
Cons: Silo doors are too high to comfortably shave under the nose
I've only tried it once but the quality of my shave was passable but not perfect. The dome of the silo doors are too high to fit under the nose. I had it adjusted all the way to max and it still wasn't really enough.

Also, I love the weight but I found it to be a bit heavy in comparison to similarly built, better shaving razors, ie, the Slim Adjustable. I believe the Slim addressed the shortcomings of this razor. If this were the only razor I had, however, I know I could depend on it for the rest of my life.

Despite it's shortcomings, this is, by far, the most beautiful razor made, in my opinion. Display worthy.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Weight. Overall Feel. Cutting Efficiency.
Cons: None
Of the 42 safety razors I own, my 4th quarter 1960 Gillette Fat Boy is easily within the top 5. It is built like a tank! It does an outstanding job on my 75 year old beard. I use a setting of 4 with a Feather blade, and a setting of 5 with milder blades. It is an engineering marvel that I highly recommend.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice heavy feel
Cons: Can't seem to get a close shave with it
At the setting of 1 I felt nothing. Went to a three for the second pass, and it was smooth but left a lot of stubble. went to the 5 setting and finished ATG. By noon I could feel the stubble. I used a new Blue Bird, that in my Merkur HD consistently produces a BBS. I'll try a new Feather tomorrow and see if it helps.

I want to like this razor, so I'll keep trying blades and settings, and see what happens.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)