What's new

Gillette British New

Item Description

So, I've been using this for some time now, and I feel it's time to write a proper review.

Price:
I gave it a 7 in this category, because while it's not the most expensive one you'll buy, it CAN get a tad pricey.

Quality:
10, of course. These babies were made to last, like all vintage Gillettes.

User Friendly:
It's an 8 here because it's not too difficult to use or handle, but perhaps a little daunting to a newer shaver?

Grip:
It only scored an 8 because, like most vintage DE's, it's pretty much the same as any other. That's not necessarily bad, but it's not the most finger grabbing one developed.

Ease of blade replacement:
7. Why? Because some people DO have issues with a three piece razor, and prefer a TTO. I am not one of them, but it an get a little dangerous if you're not paying attention.

Aggressiveness:
9, because it's one of the most aggressive vintages I've used (Old Types included). Some need it, some don't. I just so happen to need an aggressive razor, so it scores higher for me than perhaps others.

Adjustability:
N/A....need I explain?

Balance:
The best balance I've experienced personally. Perfect for my technique, and smooth feeling when gliding across my face.

All in all, a great razor in my opinion. My scores may differ from others' personal experiences, but for my money this is the best I've used to date.

As always, YMMV!!!:cool:

Latest reviews

My British NEW in service set:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Price
When it comes to value for money these vintage Gillettes are hard to beat - but prices has been getting a little high lately

Quality
It is still shiny and fully functional after 80+ years. I guess thát says it all

User Friendly
For the modern shaver an open comb may be a little intimidating and may take a little trial and error to figure out. The three piece constuction is a minor drawback in this catagory aswell

Grip
These razors come with diffrent grips, mine has a thin knurled one. The knurling is nice and agressive and provides a firm and secure grip. My only gripe is that the handle maybe is a little thin for my liking

Ease of Blade Replacement
I never give a three piece ten - but for a three piece blade replacement is very easy on this razor, no fiddeling around is required and blade allignment is perfect

Aggressiveness
This is a fairly agressive razor, more agressive than the American NEW (which I would rate 7) and a great deal less agressive than my Old Type (a clear 10)

Balance
The balance of this razor is pretty neutral, a slightly heftier handle would have been to my liking

This British Gillette NEW is not simply a collectors piece for the showcase, it is an excellent shaver and a worthy addition to any shave den. It is one of my all time favourites.

Regards.

Jakob
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
So, I've been using this for some time now, and I feel it's time to write a proper review.

Price:
I gave it a 7 in this category, because while it's not the most expensive one you'll buy, it CAN get a tad pricey.

Quality:
10, of course. These babies were made to last, like all vintage Gillettes.

User Friendly:
It's an 8 here because it's not too difficult to use or handle, but perhaps a little daunting to a newer shaver?

Grip:
It only scored an 8 because, like most vintage DE's, it's pretty much the same as any other. That's not necessarily bad, but it's not the most finger grabbing one developed.

Ease of blade replacement:
7. Why? Because some people DO have issues with a three piece razor, and prefer a TTO. I am not one of them, but it an get a little dangerous if you're not paying attention.

Aggressiveness:
9, because it's one of the most aggressive vintages I've used (Old Types included). Some need it, some don't. I just so happen to need an aggressive razor, so it scores higher for me than perhaps others.

Adjustability:
N/A....need I explain?

Balance:
The best balance I've experienced personally. Perfect for my technique, and smooth feeling when gliding across my face.

All in all, a great razor in my opinion. My scores may differ from others' personal experiences, but for my money this is the best I've used to date.

As always, YMMV!!!:cool:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly