What's new

Gillette Black Tip - Aluminum

Pros: price
Cons: weight
A bit on the light side, I felt I struggled trying to get a good angle and appropriate pressure. The black tip also seems like a cheap addition to what is usually extremely high quality workmanship on this era of razor. I'm glad I have it since it rounds out my colored tip collection of superspeeds.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Quick easy smooth Shave
This is one of my favorite razors. It's small but has nice weight to it. It provides a nice smooth shave with no nicks or irritation whether using brush, foam or just plain soap. I picked mine up in immaculate almost new condition so I was happy to pay the $45.00, and I have to say it was money well spent. I know that I will have this for the rest of my life if I choose to. Mine is the 1951 version and I don't know why they ever stopped making it. This is part of my regular rotation and I don't ever see myself parting with it. Good Good Good mechanics if you can get one, GET ONE you will not regret it.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Effortless Shave, Cheap, Lightweight
Cons: None
Picked one of these up from the BST Forum here after a bad '40s Style SS experience, hoping to find a TTO that I actually like. I have to say I was really surprised by how mild and easy a shave I got with the Black Tip. It was almost as if I didn't have to try and I got a great shave. Relatively easy to come across, inexpensive and a great shave all in one package. Only thing I would comment on is the balance with the plastic tip at the end but no effect I noticed on the shave. All around great razor!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Picked one of these up for $5.00 at an antique store in Bellingham, WA. I found it to be smooth, well balanced, and effortless to get BBS. Did not focus on technique, no weepers.

I'd recommend one of these to a newbie, except it is a bit slippery to hold versus a 60's SS.

Great razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Bought this as part of a lot. Paid $15 for 7 dirty razors. Worth every penny just for this razor alone.

Mild and smooth action that makes you wonder if there is even a blade loaded. Gives a fantastic, smooth and nick free shave. I have a heavy beard but for some reason this razor just works. I don't know what the black tip signifies, or why Gillette made it, but I do know that it just shaves really well.

May not be the prettiest razor ever, but it could be the smoothest.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)