What's new

Gillette Aftershave Gel for Sensitive Skin

Pros: Cheap, readily available, TSA-friendly
Cons: Leaves my skin feeling a bit sticky
This ASB was surprisingly good for the $2 I paid. I needed an AS that I could carry on an airplane. This 75 mL bottle is TSA-friendly. The scent is thoroughly modern and very similar to Gillette Cool Wave. The balm is nice and smooth and absorbs quickly, although it does leave my skin feeling a bit tacky. For me, this will be more of a winter ASB.

Overall, it's good, not great. But at this price point it may be one of the better bargains out there.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
You know, when i switched to DE I gave my Edge Gel to my wife but, kept this aftershave in my medicine cabinet. I'm happy I didn't toss it when I made the transition. Actually, it works great! Much better than the more expensive 3 T's I've had samples of. It is also alcohol-free, has a pleasant scent, very soothing, moisturizes well and is not too greasy-feeling. On some level, I thought I'd be leaving this brand behind because I assumed that more expensive balms and products made for DE would be better. WRONG!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I got that after shave last week when i made a visit with my gf to the local pharmacy, the bottle was in the clearance section at 1$, so i took , at 1$ you have not much to loose.
After having used it i can say it's even better than the modern Gillette Fusion gel, it smells better and it's quite cooling.
I recommend it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is my favorite after shave solution thus far. It works very well in reducing razor burn, smells really good and is widely available for a low price!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Yes, the scent may be somewhat industrial, IOW mass produced type smell, but I must admit, this balm is a guilty pleasure of mine. I love the scent, doesn't linger too long, but has a wake up quality I enjoy. Can't beat the price. It is one of those bottles I find myself sniffing while walking by the bathroom sink.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This has been my go to Aftershave for about the last two months. Prior to that, I was using no Aftershave whatsoever.

In terms of performance, I have no complaints about the product, it is moisturizing, and soothes my face just like it should. The smell, while not unpleasant, is very synthetic, and reminds me of the smell of Edge canned goo.

For the value minded, you can't beat the price, as I can get this for about $2.30 cents. :biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I've been using this for at least 20 years, although I try to seek out the regular, as opposed to the sensitive skin variety. It's clean-smelling, effective, widely available and easy on the wallet. The only thing it's missing is "cache," but who cares -- What more could you ask for?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Good stuff. I've liked all the myriad of AS balms I've tried, the exception being the Pinaud line which is too strong w/o dilution (Clubman, Bay Rum), too drying out of my skin (all I've tried), or too much like cat urine (Lilac Vegetal ;-). This is no exception, even though it is cheap ($1 during frequent sales at our military commissary). Not a regular in my rotation, but I look forward to it when I do use it. There's a laundry list of strange ingredients, but I'm performance oriented, not identify-the-ingredient oriented.

Scent is modern and graceless, but pleasant enough.

Recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I've used this for quite some time. It's very moisturizing, if a little greasy. It does soak in fast though. It's got a bit of a synthetic smell, but it's not bad; and it comes along with a light alcohol burn. The burn, as well as the greasiness and smell fade fairly quickly. I use it on my head and it works wonderfully! While not something I use every day, it's a good inclusion in the rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I'm not a huge fan of balms, and this one is no exception. The smell, while not unpleasant, is too synthetic for my liking.

This stuff is cheap and easy to find, and if you have sensitive skin but still enjoy a slight alcohol burn, then this may succeed where a high alcohol based AS or a no-alcohol based balm fails. It still retains a slight burn, but nothing like most of the Aqua Velva, Clubman, Old Spice etc lines.

The only time I feel compelled to use a balm is if I've had a bad shave and need some extra moisturizing- I usually reach for Brut ASB, but this one seems to provide a bit more moisturizing than the Brut.

The main problem I have with this goo is that it just plain feels too greasy. It shines my face up like a Carnauba wax job- not my thing. I know some guys that like to get a good glow on a freshly shaved head, so this stuff might be right up your alley.

The scent doesn't last long at all, which is a good thing in my case. I'm just too underwhelmed by this product. I'll stick with my Brut balm.

Also, if you've tried this product and want something a little less greasy due to the slightly higher alcohol content- try the Bath and Body Works Cool Spring Soothing Face Conditioner. The scent is exactly the same as the Gillette Gel but it dries very quickly and doesn't leave your face looking like polished hardwood.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I've tried a few aftershaves since I started using a DE razor. This so far has been my favorite. It has a nice scent, goes on with a little bit of a sting (I like it, kind of like listerine, helps let you know it's working- hard to rate that with a number), and dries without leaving a very sticky residue. It certainly helps with razor burn (better than the nivea extreme comfort after shave). It's also cheap, which is a plus. I find it does a nicer job than the proraso pre/post cream as an aftershave. I have my doubts that it's all that good for you though, if you read the ingredients- contains things like triethanolamine, benzophenone-4, methylparaben, etc... Other than water and some ginseng, there's no recognizable ingredient. I've always been ~slightly~ wary about chemical concoctions.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I love this stuff. It's part of my regular rotation, which includes Old Spice, and Nivea A/S Balm. I find that if my technique was off (I'm still a newbie) and there is some irritation, this stuff takes care of it almost instantly. It has a really nice cooling effect and it is very comfortable in the Texas heat. Like the first reviewer, I started using this when I was still using an electric most of the time. It worked very well then, and now that I've started DE shaving, it works even better. Great value for the price (I can find it at Wal-Mart, Family Dollar, and other small stores around my part of Texas and it's priced very well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I was very surprised when I saw no one had reviewed this product previously. But then it's not fancy, it just does a quiet job of soothing your skin. One of the problems I had when using electrics was my neck was always irritated from the effort required to get a smooth shave, and this always helped. But now that I am using DEs this is even better. A gentle aroma and just a little tingle sooth my skin even after a close shave and if you ever get a biting blade this stuff will help soooooo much. Priced absolutely right at just about any grocery or department store, a medium sized plastic bottle that travels well and leaves your skin feeling good. There are fancier balms, and some with more elegant fragrances, but this is one product that should be in every shaver's kit. For the price you cannot go wrong here.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)