What's new

Gillette 1953 (40's style) Superspeed

D
Pros: Perfect weight and balance, very smooth shave, very easy to use.
Cons: Could be a tad more efficient, but that's not really a problem. :)
Bought it from eBay. (techichi store)
This is my favorite TTO to date.
I've had a couple of adjustables, I have a Red Tip and an Aristocrat.
This Super-Speed is the smoothest and is pretty efficient for me. (I have a mild beard)
It's truly a joy to use, and I never worry about cuts or nicks with this one.
I have more agressive shavers when I want that, or during the week-end, where I can take all my time.
A must-have!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I got gifted one of these by a family member and it really is a lovely razor. The build quality is great, after 57 years of use all of the plating is still intact. It is a really easy razor to live with, obviously being TTO blade changing is a doddle. The handle has chunky castings so it is nice to hold, even with wet hands. I found it to be pretty aggressive, using a Gillette Bleue blade, so it might not be the best razor for a learner. All in all it is a great razor and hopefully it will give at least another 57 years of use.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I picked up a 1953 (40's style) Superspeed from the B/S/T forums. I really like this razor. It shaves very well, and the weight seems just right.

Price: These razors can generally be picked up for $10-$30 from forums, or Ebay. You can also find one at a lot of antique shops for even less than this.
Quality: This is truly a quality razor.
User Friendliness: This razor is easy to use. Simply twist to open to change blades (more on that in a bit). There's really nothing else to learn about it to use it.
Grip: I have fairly average size hands. This razor is the perfect size for me. The handle is not too short; it has ample room to hold it. I don't feel cramped at all. It has enough grip on it, so it doesn't slip when your hand is slightly wet.
Ease of Blade Replacement: I really like the twist-to-open (TTO) action to change blades on the Superspeed. Simply turn the knob at the bottom of the handle, and the head opens. The blade simply drops in, and you tighten it using the TTO. You don't have to hold the head and screw it in, like with the Tech and other razors.
Aggressiveness: I have only tried a couple razors, so I can't really speak comparatively as to the aggressiveness of this razor. However, I feel it is a little bit more aggressive than the Tech I have, which is a good thing. I quite consistently get a DFS or BBS shave with this razor, so I think it is plenty aggressive enough, at least for now.
Balance: I really like the balance of this razor. It seems to have the perfect weight and balance. This helps out with the aggressiveness of the shave. I do not feel I have to use any pressure (which is a good thing), as the razor has enough weight to cut the hairs.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)