What's new

Gillette 1948-50 Super Speed

Pros: Smooth, easy shave
Cons: None
Great shaving razor! If you have never tried one your doing yourself a big disservice. If you like middle of the road aggressiveness and smooth easy shaves this razor has it all.

It's a quicker shave than a Tech, A Tech takes three passes for me, This one takes only two passes followed by minor touchup on my neck.

It's a permanent member of my daily razor rack which also includes a Red Tip and Two regular FlairTip razors. Any Super Speed is great in my opinion but the 1948-1950's are the Gold Standard.

I can't foresee ever not having this razor in regular rotation in my shave routine.

Get one and try it you wont be disappointed.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: excellent mechanical design, made to last
Cons: having to search for this vintage wonder
On a lark, I bid for on the world famous bidding site and won the bid. The Gillette Super Speed showed up and I researched to be a '49 model.

I sent it to Razor Emporium for its clean up service. It came from this great repair shop looking clean and ready for service.

It quickly became one of my top 2 razors. Easy to get a great shave with this vintage wonder of a design.

Newbies looking to get into wet shaving should not fear this razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Let me state right at the start, this is my favorite razor. I have eight razors, from vintage to modern, open and closed comb, SE and DE- they run the gamut. I bought this as part of a lot of four razors with a Slim Adjustable being the primary reason I purchased the lot. I didn't expect to love this razor and if the price of the lot wasn't right, I would have been unlikely to ever buy one. When I first tried it, I was pleasantly surprised at what a comfortable, effortless and close shave I received. I have now used it with Feather, Derby, Crystal, Merkur, Shark, Iridium and Personna blades and have yet to have a blade fail to perform in this razor.

Price: I paid $42 shipped for this and three other razors. I was looking to spend ~$30 with shipping for the Slim so I figure my cost for this razor was about $5 shipped. They can often be found on B/S/T for from $10 to $15 shipped. This is a third of what a new razor typically runs. 10

Quality: This razor was manufactured 60 years ago and functions as if brand new. What more can be said. 10

User Friendly: The razor is very maneuverable and is the easiest one I have for getting under the nose. 10

Grip: I find it simple to grip but have a couple of razors with slightly better knurling. 9

Ease of Blade Replacement: It doesn't get much easier than Gillette TTO. 10

Aggressiveness: This was the most difficult for me to score. I have several more aggressive razors. However, I find the the aggressiveness of the Superspeed just right for my face. I had to decide which would score higher between these razors. I reluctantly took a point off the score here but could easily be convinced to bump this up to a 10. 9

Adjustability: N/A

Balance: I find this razor to move effortlessly. 10

I have often seen this razor recommended as a great one for those new to DE shaving. I would go further and say it is a great razor for anyone involved in DE shaving. For me, the 40s Superspeed was an unexpected but pleasant surprise. This is my first review and I felt I should pick the one shaving product that I would least like to do without.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Hi, I just bought a 1949 Gillette Super Speed off Ebay. I love the look of these vintage razors. But I am also curious. I am new to wetshaving and I read a lot of reviews about this razor. There are so many different Super Speeds out there. They say that 1948-50 SS dont have year code but only marked by a "notch" in the bar. What and where is this "notch" everyone talks about. I can't see in this in pics? I would like to know. Is the notch on the inside where the butterflies open (the solid bar that holds the blade?) Is it on the side of the head where the protectors are, I am lost? Please help a newbie out!
Cheers!
Bear in mind that I'm comparing this to my first razor - the Merkur HD.

Price: Variable since they are no longer produced but from what I've seen generally in the regions of £20-£35, so not bad.

User Friendly: Unlike most others, I do not like the superspeed. Have found this to be much more aggressive than the HD.

Grip: Generally good but can get slippery sometimes with lather.

Blade replacement: Simple butterfly mechanism but a fairly irrelevant question as blade replacement shouldn't really be used to judge this particular razor.

Aggressiveness: 4 does not mean that this is a gentle razor. I gave this 4 because I found this razor much more aggressive than the HD. Even after thorough preparation, light touch with the razor, it gave cuts and a rash on my neck and chin and was just generally unpleasant to shave with.

Adjustability: N/A as this is a non adjustable

Balance: Well balanced but I would prefer this to be heavier as more weight tends to buffer small movements.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
I'll state it bluntly before I begin: I frickin' love this razor. I've no clue why Gillette only made them for a few years. This is one of the best razors I own.

This razor is the perfect balance of pro and newb. It's forgiving enough to be able to pick it up, having never shaved DE before, and come away OK. You have to try to cut yourself with this razor. On mornings when I'm in a particular hurry, I have often made a pass too rapidly, felt it "catch" on a hair, and seen... nothing. No blood. This razor is a neb's friend - I often wish I had gotten this as my first razor, instead of a Merkur 38C.

Gentle, yes, but this razor shaves close. Standard three-pass shave - WTG, XTG, ATG - and I get a DFS every time. If I spend just a bit more time and do some touchups, it's relatively easy to get a BBS shave. This razor is not the closest shave out there, but in my mind, that's not its selling point. This razor is forgiving in the hands of one just beginning the DE journey, and precise in the hands of an expert.

In terms of aesthetics, this is not a "fancy" razor. No ball handles, no designs. But, so what? If you are the kind of person who chooses a razor based on how it looks vs. how it works, then this forum is not the place for you. It's a razor - not a piece of artwork - and it fulfills its duties admirably.

In terms of balance, this razor is perfect. Not too heavy to distract me while shaving. I can hold in on various parts of the handle depending upon what region of my face I'm shaving, all with equal effectiveness. Soap, creams, different types of blades - it doesn't matter, this Gillette devours them all.

I guess in conclusion, I would say that if there had to be only one razor I could use for the rest of my life, this would be it. True, there are closer shaves out there, but when I'm using a closer-shaving razor, the probability is so much greater than I will cut myself in a moment of rushed clumsiness, that I'll take this guy instead.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have limited DE experience, but can say that of the two Gillettes I've tried (same new blade both times), this one gave me noticeably smooter results than I got with a Tech, using the exact same shave motions both times. Got mine for under $5 at an antique mall - you may have to hunt for one but apparently they're still around.
My ratings.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I like the looks of this razor. It's simple, functional, and honest in its appearance. An ol' skool icon I think!
It gives an okay shave for me, especially if I the day before have been too aggressive with another razor or not shown enough attention to my tecnique.
But I never get this two pass BBS I get with more aggressive razors.
The handle is a bit thin to my hand but this, together with a good head geometry, makes the razor very manoeuvrable and the beautiful, simple knurling gives a fine grip. Still I prefer a thicker handle which suits my fingers and hand better.
You can buy a forties Super Speed in a very nice condition for half the price of a new Merkur. A lot of people seem to love this iconic razor so why is my love conditional?
I think the SS is a nice shaver and I really love its looks. But as a shaving tool I think it's a bit overrated. Maybe too much hype compared to how well it performs as a whisker mower. And that is a central issue in shaving, isn't it?
cop
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The Gillette '48-'50 Super Speed is my second DE razor, which I recently purchased through B&B's B/S/T for about $16, a much better price than you'd find on eBay. My first and primary razor is a Merkur 12C, almost identical to the HD but it is an open comb version.

My new SS is similar in size to the Merkur HD, but it is considerably heavier, which I think improves the shave since the weight helps it glide effortlessly across the face. 2 passes give me a smoother shave than 2 passes with my Merkur! The TTO mechanism is smooth, and locks the blade tightly. I have a feeling I will make the SS my new primary razor!

Definitely recommended if you're adding to your collection, or even if you're starting out as a wetshaver and want to begin with a classic instrument!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I love this razor. The best way to describe it is balance. This razor has all of is features balanced along with a simple minimal design that was designed more for the shave than the look. It is truly a super speedy shaver. I have 2 in my collection soon to be 3.
The Gillette 40s Super Speed being a highly regarded and highly recomended razor on this forum I offcourse had to try one.

Price
The can be found rather cheap I paid $ 20 for mine, including postage from USA to Denmark

Quality
The best I have experienced so far, upon inspecting the razor I found it hard to believe that it was in fact around 60 years old.

User Friendly
This razor, being a TTO and a very mild shaver is incredibly user friendly

Grip
Nice and grippable, the knurling could have been a bit more agressive on mine, but I suspect it is a bit worn

The one piece TTO design of this razor makes blade replacement very easy

Aggressiveness
This is the mildest razor I have yet tried. I suspect that if a razor got any milder I would have trouble getting a decent shave from it

Balance
Nice, but a slightly heavier head would have been nice

I can only agree with the crowd here; this is a highly recomendable razor. Everyone should have at least one in his rotation.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Regards.

Jakob
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I just got mine in the mail yesterday, cleaned it up and loaded it with an IP and lathered up some Body Shop cream. It took me five passes with a few touch ups to get a half decent shave. Obviously one shave isn't enough to qualify me as able to give this razor any ratings. My first thought was how small this razor is compared to my Futur. I had really expected it to be somewhat larger. I did enjoy using it as it is very nimble, especially around my nose where the Futur is simply cumbersome.

I will try it with a different blade and see how that works before giving it any ratings. I do love the build quality and the TTO loading mechanism - very cool. I don't know why modern razor manufacturer's shy away from this other than the Merkur Vision which is far too expensive or the Parker razors that I have yet to try.
I have tried them all from the 40's to the last year...Other then the quality of material in the 70's....which is less then great...All have given me great shaves!!! A little practice with the eccentricities of the early models, and you can get BBS from virtually any SS... IMHO of course!!!!
Other than the way the blade loads, there is another marked difference between the '47 and '48-50 Super Speeds. The chrome shoulder has a small section (about 1/16") that runs more parallel with the gripping section of the handle. The '47 is also less aggressive, but more aggressive than the Techs. However, the '48-50's are excellent shavers, and if a man (or woman) has one likes it and takes care of, another razor should ever be needed. I've never tried a Merkur because I've not felt the need to.
I think this is one of the best razors ever made. I have a Gillette Aristocrat from the same era and prefer it's wider grip and feel it equals the Super Speed's shave. And the English made Gillette rocket made in the late 1940s, which is very similar to the Super Speed, has a slightly better balance in my opinion due to a heavier handle. But you cannot go wrong with this razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This was my third razor, and for a while I'd use it for part of every shave. While I had a tech that was great for the straightaways, the chin and neck did better with the super speed. It's a nice, forgiving razor, a skosh more aggressive than the tech. Much better than a merkur for starters in my opinion, second only to the tech as great for beginners.

They are getting too expensive though, so I've docked "price" a lot.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
When I first started, I bought the most-recommended Merkur HD and Merkur Slant. I thoroughly love both these razors, and was satisfied with them. However, being the newbie, I also went around to different flea markets and antique shops in search of vintage DEs.

I picked up a few, and perhaps my newbie technique let me not to believe that these razors "cut it", so I PIFed them to friends. I decided to revisit them recently and picked up a 1948-50 SS in great condition for a mere $18. Price = 10.

Boy oh boy, was I ever wrong that this razor didn't cut it. I was a bit apprehensive at first, hearing that vintage Gillettes were a bit different to shave with than Merkurs. I really didn't notice a difference, this razor is very user friendly.

I got the bottom-line BEST shave of my DE shaving career from this little gem loaded up with a fresh Feather the first time I used it. Couldn't believe how amazingly smooth this thing shaves. I almost didn't think that it was cutting anything off my face, yet after only two passes (2 XTG passes in opposing directions) my face was literally 100% BBS.

There is not much knurl on the handles, but even while face-slathering (whipping up KMF between my hands) I have no trouble hanging on to it. Blade replacement is a cinch and you really don't have to eye it to see if the alignment is right as with the Slant.

Honestly, I'm almost considering selling my HD...almost :lol:. I think this razor is probably much better suited for a beginner, it's nearly fool-proof to get a super smooth and super comfortable shave. It's not nearly as aggressive as a Merkur HD and certainly not anything close to the Slant, yet with my tough beard/sensitive skin combination this one really does the trick.

Highly, highly recommended. 10s all the way down.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
My first double-edge razor, and still my favorite. Though my collection has expanded significantly, I always come back to this one. If it's your only razor (God forbid) you'd be all set. It feels good in your hand, and just seems to glide over your face, regardless of how cheap your shaving soap is!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I feel this is one of the best razors ever made; simple, elegant, balanced, light and durable as evidenced by the numerous 40+ year old examples still around in perfect working condition.

From an aggressiveness standpoint this is one very mild razor, but this works well for multi-pass shaving and/or buffing your difficult areas.

I typically use my fave modern razor.....the 38C, which is much more aggressive, for a WTG, and then an AGT pass and then finish up with the SS for XTG and buffing under the jawline.

For me this is the perfect combination for consistent BBS shaves without irritation.

Anyone who enjoys wet shaving, whether you consider yourself a DE collector or not, should own one of these.

It's basically the end-of-the-line for the *necessary* development in the evolution of the DE Razor....everything else is marketing and/or bling.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)