What's new

Giesen & Forsthoff - Timor Gentle Shaver 1354

The budget line fom Giesen & Forsthoff, 100mm long handle, closed comb, stainless steel handle, chrome plated zamak head, 90ish grams heavy.
Pros: Very efficient on 3 passes while still being R89 type mild. Stainless steel handle, competitive price.
Cons: Even the threads on the head are Zamak.
The razor is fantastic, a great upgrade to R89 type of shaving. Because of the full stainless steel handle it's on the heavier side. It delivers a more efficient but milder shave than R89/EJ89. The head covers the edges of the blade entirely, so no edges are protruding on the sides. The balance is great.

A fantastic item at a great price.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
D
Pros: None
Cons: Read on
Last comments by OP, with his permission:
  1. Update on the blade alignment. As said, you can't wiggle it, but funny enough, when i press the head on the sides, where the tabs usually protrude, it sometimes pops the blade a little, and then it's aligned perfectly. What could this be?

Update: Blade alignment still not okay. Not even with the new topcap. Additionally, the threads on both topcaps seem to have the chrome chipped from alignment posts after only 4-5 uses.

And the nail in the coffin:

I binned the razor out of sheer desperation. After some time I noticed it shaves more aggressive on one side than the other, no way to get it to be properly aligned. The posts seem to be centered poorly, and it was the case with both topcaps. Additionally, alignment posts developed rust like stains on both top caps and the thread is also thinned and chrome damaged even though I know how to take care of my tools! Never overtightened!

Final Conclusion: Would not recommend to anyone.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)