What's new

Georgetown Scuttle

Item Description

There are several scuttles on the market. This one is made in the US and I'm proud when I can buy or advise anything that's made in the USA. True, German products are considered top notch, Shavemac, Tabac, Speick, Ansgar included! :) but if I can keep my money in the country where I reside I do so if possible. Georgetown pottery is one of those companies. They are located on the east coast in Maine and are very friendly and professional. It took me 8 weeks to receive my scuttle but it was definitely worth the wait. They are working on a mold which would bring ordering and delivery much faster to normal standards. The scuttle is available in different patterns/colors: Blue Oribe & Purple, Cobalt & Purple, Green Oribe & Purple, Hamada & Blue, Hamada & Persimmon, Hamada & Purple,... All are exquisite imo. I chose for Blue Oribe & Purple since it was closer to the coloring I loved and what would fit in my bathroom. The packaging was very secure and well wrapped when I did receive my UPS delivery.
The scuttle isn't a lightweight either and feels pretty solid. The finishing and glaze is top notch. It's all hand made so small imperfections might arise but that's the charm of anything custom hand made. The scuttle does exactly what it's designed to do. Keep your lather warm. Adding hot water is a breeze and now with the added lip it's very easy to dispose of the remaining water after you're done. The scuttle is also just wide enough to whip up any meringue like lather and even rest your brush during passes.
If you like to complete your shaving experience I would recommend you to get a scuttle. It's definitely not going to break the bank and it's very affordable. It's very difficult to predict the durability of the scuttle but as long as you don't drop it on the floor I think you're safe for a long life of your Georgetown scuttle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Latest reviews

I received my G5 a few days ago, and I'm quite pleased. It's beautiful, fits the hand well, and keeps the lather nice and warm.

I borrowed a Dirty Bird from a friend to try out for a few days before I bought the G5, and they are quite different. The Georgetown is porcelain; the DB is pottery/clay. The DB is much too large and heavy for me to use in the shower, and IMO looks like a clunky college pottery project: not aesthetically pleasing to my eye (tea-pot design & not very interesting glaze) whereas the Georgetown glazes are just beautiful. To my eye, the Georgetown takes it: it's visually balanced and lovely to look at. YMMV.

As for keeping the lather warm - I found no practical difference between them: I shave both head and face (4-pass) daily, and they both had adequate bowls and kept the lather warm for the 10 or 12 minutes that I shave.

It's a keeper!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I'll add my critique before it gets buried in the General Shaving Discussion thread. It rates a perfect score from me because it does everything it is supposed to do.

Georgetown Pottery G5 scuttle
I both used and tested the Becker (Robert's Ceramic Feats of Clay) Small scuttle; Georgetown Pottery G5 scuttle; Moss Large scuttle; Schwarzweisskeramik Small scuttle; Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle.

They all work well, and the final decision should be a matter of personal taste. I heated 3 cups of water in my microwave oven for 4 minutes for a temperature of 165 degrees F. The water is then poured into the scuttle to test heat retention.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Fast Facts:

* Purchase Price: $45.00
* Purchased from: Georgetown Pottery
* Special features: distinctive multi-color design, stopper
* Reservoir capacity: 6 1/2 ounces
* Primary strength: stopper (allows you to fill and soak the brush in the lathering area without changing reservoir water)
* Primary weakness: heat retention in comparison to others (but then, how long does it take to shave?)

Heat retention (165-degree water initially introduced into scuttle):

* After 5 minutes: 130 degrees F
* After 10 minutes: 120 degrees F
* After 15 minutes: 120 degrees F
* After 20 minutes: 117 degrees F
* After 25 minutes: 115 degrees F

Dimensions of scuttle:

* Height: 3"
* Base width: 3"
* Width on top: 5 3/16" (5 3/4 with spout)
* Inside diameter of lathering area: 3 1/4"
* Depth of lathering area: 2 3/8"
* Texture of lathering surface: cross hatched
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I too have the G5 scuttle in blue and hamada, it is outstanding craftsmanship and design, the newly designed round hole with rubber cork is excellent and helps keep it warmer much longer.
Great work Georgetown Pottery. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance