What's new

Geo F. Trumper Astor Cologne

Cons: Scent
Cologne takes on a different scent with each wearer, but Trumper's line doesn't seem to agree with me. This cologne actually gave me a sore throat - and it was only on my wrist. I tried to wash it off with three different soaps but it likes me way more than I like it.

You couldn't pay me to wear this again.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)

That's when Astor is said to have hit the scene. If true, that means George Trumper himself dreamt it up, went into the underground vaults below his shop at No. 9 Curzon Street and blended this jewel to timeless perfection.

If he were an American I'd say he hit a home run; but in English terms, he belted a six.

Astor is old-world gentlemanly delight. It's fresh fragrant herbs, a dash of spicy caraway and a bit of leather, settled on a bed of musky sandalwood. It's equal parts warm and crisp. It's comforting like a well-worn cardigan. It's subtle and not cloying -- the older, less brash brother of Eucris.

It reminds me of my grandfather, but even though I'm 25 it's something I'll gladly wear.

Definitely a scent for cooler weather. Somewhat pricey at ~$70 for 100ml, but wonderfully packaged in the distinctive frosted-glass and embossed bottle of the "Trumper Collection," with a shaker nozzle and signature crown lid.

Wonderful.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Sample vial, so no rating for price, packaging, or atomizer. This is a cologne that smells like a cologne. If you enjoy wearing cologne-y colognes, I imagine you will enjoy this. It is, in fact nicely complex; it is clear as it wears that it has a lot of layers--some leather, some vanilla, some florals (I think). However, it did not evoke any strong reaction from me and is not likely to be one I'll be wearing often.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Trumpers Astor is a cologne that I would recommend for just about anybody to try. I'm a firm believer in the old saying "different strokes for different folks" and nothing is made for everyone but Astor is a unique proposition. The scent isn't really like anything I've come across. That doesn't mean that other similar fragrances don't exist, I just haven't been drawn to try them for one reason or another.

What really draws me to this cologne is the complexity. It has so many layers that young/old, hip/old fashioned, traditional/metrosexual, there's something in there that appeals to all those genres. The best way I can describe the scent actually came from my wife. She called it leather with baby powder. Now, while that doesn't sound good, believe me it is. It's like a rugged man's man with a slight soft undercurrent. It's not dominating, but not delicate. It's definitely more of an enhancing fragrance than a defining one.

Like all Trumpers fragrances this is a little pricey, but well packaged and of solid quality and staying power.

Given the price, you may want to send for a sample first but at least give it a try. This really is a great scent.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)