What's new

Gentlemen's Refinery: Unscented Shaving Cream

Pros: Skin friendly, utterly scentless, moisturizing
Cons: Scentless :) and expensive when not PIF'ed, not explosive lather
jddssc121 was kind enough to PIF me a lightly used tub of TGR unscented about a month ago. I was reluctant to post a review as I was brand spankin new to wet shaving and didn't think I had any authority to make a review. Well I'm a month further in, so lets give it a shot!
I actually nicked myself a bit shaving yesterday, and this morning my face felt sensitive. I figured an unscented cream would be inoffensive, and I just went 2-pass (with and across).
The cream lathered up pretty well with my omega boar, but without the airy, puffy quality that my TOBS samples gave. Brushed onto my face I felt no irritation, and smelled NOTHING. This cream is like a black hole of scent, really impressive that there's no smell whatsoever.
My shave went well, all things considered. I went gingerly and had no problems. No tugging, no weepers, no complaints. Though I skipped going ATG I still managed a DFS. After the cold rinse and witch hazel, I sighed relief and felt really quite moisturized and comfortable.
Though I haven't tried yet, I am very eager to mix this cream with strongly scented or hard-to-lather soaps that I come across. The neutral, moisturizing qualities seem like they'd make a great base for improving the lather for other scented software. But as it is, the Unscented Gentlemen's Refinery Cream is something I know I can count on even when irritated and sensitive. Thanks again to jddssc121 for the PIF!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is my new go-to. OP said it doesn't lather well...well, it doesn't have to really, it is meant for brushless use if need be (see website, I had to check as it seemed "different" than most creams). However, I used a brush and found that the lather was great, albeit different (according to what I have read you can use brush or go brushless). It is a more dense lather that when applied goes very far and gives a "thicker" (not a bad, hard to get through, thickness...just more coverage) than say ToBS or Body Shop (two I am most familiar with).

It has unbelievable moisture qualities and coupled with the the pre-shave oil and AS Balm this might be the best shaving trio. Very good products with great moisture qualities. You can shave every day with this stuff. No Problem. :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)