What's new

Gentlemen's Refinery: Black Ice Shave Cream

Pros: LUBRICATING PROPERTIES AND GLASS CONTAINER
Cons: TRICKY BRUSH LOADING
I face lather so loading with minimal mosture on brush initially is critical. It has great cushioning and excellent glide but rinsing takes considerable effort due to the amount of natural oil content. The fragrance is pleasant and doesn't linger on and doesn't irritate sensitive skin. The cream lasts and lasts so it is quite economical per shave and best of all the container is a good quality which can be reused.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: VERY slick and very moisturizing.
Cons: No 1 con - Price!
I was urged to buy some of this stuff by the same person that got me into wet shaving, so how could I resist. The price is inline with most of the upper end creams - which is still too high. I don't really like black licorice so the smell doesn't WOW me, having said that (well, written it) the scent isn't over powering and is actually pretty pleasant now that I've gotten used to it.

I lather directly out of the tub. This is a very firm cream. I've found that my E&J BestBadger works the best - just get the brush nice and hot, shake it a bit (leave a little water in it) and swirl it in the tub for 20 to 30 seconds. Once the tips have a good solid coating of cream I go to work in my scuttle. This is a fairly thirsty cream and it's pretty forgiving if you add a little too much water - even the first few runny lathers I made led to a good shave. Once you master the water ratio you will be rewarded with an awesome lather. This is one of the few creams that can handle a REALLY hot scuttle and not start to break down.

I have fairly sensitive skin but even after a 3 pass shave I had no irritation. This stuff leaves my skin feeling tight but not dry - I don't know how they do that.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Simply amazing ! I love this cream. It is definitely high quality and the lather it creates - while fairly dense - is very protective and moisturizes very very very well.

I don't really care for the scent of licorice so I gave it 3.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is great stuff. Very high quality all-natural ingredients that give an amazingly slick shave. I tend to have success with very slick shave creams (as opposed to shave soaps that give a good cushion), and this is fantastic. It doesn't lather too well in a bowl, but it lathers on the face better than any cream I've ever tried. And the shave is amazing. Obviously, YMMV, but this has been a go-to cream for me. It's a bit expensive, but it's extremely high quality.

Scott
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Hello blokes ,

I had a look at this one in my local shave shop , took a sniff of the sampler and thought "Hmm, a lot like black licorice ." Perhaps only me . :blink:

Going to try the Musgo Real Shave cream next . Loved the Proraso and Col Conk Bay Rum soap.

Enjoy the glide ,

Scott
I like this product too. I am a noob here and I don't have long experience at wetshaving.
I was ordering some other stuff from classicshaving.com and decided to try the Black Ice out. It is a little bit pricey for me, but as with most things, you get what you pay for.
I really like it's rich but still subtle herbal aroma. It smells and feels very good on my face. I have not yet really mastered the art of getting it to lather as well as I,m sure it can, but I know that I will with a little more practice.
My go to stuff is Tabac, and it lathers so well that it kind of spoils me.
Anyhow, I would highly recommend the Black Ice because it gives a smooth shave and has a inticing aroma.
I've had this in the weekly rotation for several months now. A good performer, lathers well, cushions admirably and has a light but agreeable anise scent. Leaves my skin feeling hydrated and smooth. Comparable to the TOBS Avocado in terms of a refreshing but still soothing, low key shave, but has a more unique, enjoyable scent.

From the website:

Black Ice Shave Cream Ingredients
Glycerin
*Cocos nuciferus (Coconut) oil
*Anise (Pimpinella anisum) Oil
*Basil (Ocimum basilicum) Oil
*Bergamot (Monarda didyma) Oil
Distilled Water
Stearic acid
Potassium hydroxide
Sodium hydroxide
Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate-water
Sodium Borate
* = Certified Organic
Features
Coconut oil- it has antiviral and antibacterial properties Coconut oil is a tropical oil pressed either from the dried flesh (copra) or fresh flesh of the coconut palm and is known to heal and nourish the skin. Coconut oil helps to have soft, wrinkle-free skin with smaller pores and an even skin tone as it aids in removing the outer layer of dead skin cells on the skin. Coconut oil is easily absorbable as it has a small molecular structure and thus helps to moisturize the skin. It penetrates into the deeper layers of the skin and strengthens the underlying tissues. The skin is made up of connective tissues that give the skin strength and elasticity. Coconut oil helps to keep connective tissues strong and supple so that the skin doesn't sag and wrinkle. Coconut oil also helps to reduce chronic skin inflammation seen in psoriasis and eczema within days and soothes and heals wounds, blood blisters, rashes, etc. It is an excellent ingredient to use in healing salves and ointments. Coconut oil has direct and indirect antioxidant properties that help to counteract free radical damage that breaks down connective tissues. Coconut oil protects the skin from conditions like lipofuscin or the appearance of brown, freckle-like spots or liver spots. Coconut oil can help to prevent the development of blemishes caused by aging and over exposure to sunlight. In some cases it might even restore damaged or diseased skin. The oil is absorbed into the skin and into the cell structure of the connective tissues, limiting the damage excessive sun exposure can cause.

Tropical oils are high in saturated fat. Saturated fat is not a single substance but rather a family of molecules having varying lengths, and coconut oil has more of the medium-length type of saturated fat molecules (triglycerides) such as lauric acid and myristic acid. Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) are purported to have antimicrobial properties. Medium chain fatty acids (MCTs) are not easily oxidized and do not cause harmful free radical damage. There are also claims that MCTs in coconut oil cure yeast and fungal infections. Sebum also contains medium chain fatty acids, in the form of medium chain triglycerides, which can be released to fight harmful germs. The medium chain fatty acids in the sebum provide the protective layer on the skin that kills harmful germs. Coconut oil is nature's richest source of medium chain fatty acids. When coconut oil is put on the skin it doesn't have any immediate antimicrobial action. However, when bacteria which are always present on the skin turn these triglycerides into free fatty acids, just as it does with sebum, the result is an increase in the number of antimicrobial fatty acids on the skin and protection from infection. The free fatty acids also help to contribute to the acid environment on the skin which repels disease causing germs.

Anise (Pimpinella anisum) Oil is refreshing and invigorating, It is said to relieve stress and irritation, as well as restore equilibrium, and increase male libido.
Basil (Ocimum basilicum) Oil is said to lower stress levels and ease tension. It is beneficial as an antiinflamitory.
Bergamot (Monarda didyma) Oil will clean sinuses, dry mucus, Also an effective natural insect repellent..
Benefits:
Natural plant derived ingredients 99%
Fragranced with beneficial essential oils which immediately soothe any skin irritation caused by shaving
higher pH allows for a smoother shave by opening pores
excellent foaming properties to lift hair away from skin to make shaving easier
nourishes the skin with coconut oil triglycerides which help to prevent infections as well as adding moisture to the skin
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)