What's new

Gentleman's Refinery After Shave Balm

Item Description

Lofty praise I know but allow me to explain.

I tested this product for 5 days straight and was mightily impressed. My skin felt like silk every time after using it and I could not think of one negative to that could be attributed to it. More on it to follow.

Not being sure that what I was experiencing was not related to other things I did a rotation with all of my other trusted products to make an objective comparison. Top quality shaves followed by the following products. They included Trumper's Skin food, Nivea ASB, Nautica ASB, Thayer's Witchhazel w/aloe, pure rose hip oil, Penhaligon's ASB, Clinique Dramatically different Moisterizer, Old Spice aftershave and my all time favorite Hydrolast aftershave conditioner. All great product's to be sure, each with their own strengths.

Here is what I found. None of them hold a candle to the GR Balm. I mean it wasn't even close. GR is a runny, milky product that from the GR Site is described as an all natural product that has an exotic blend of raw materials (List at end of post). Regardless of what's in it, when applied it is magical. Although is is spendy $40 for 100 ml. A little goes a long, long way. After a cold rinse, with face still wet I applied 1/2 a dime size puddle from my sampler bottle, and that's all it takes.

It is instantly and completely absorbed into the skin, like pouring water in a sponge. After application you wonder if you even did anything. It would be easy to over use this as in a trial I reused the stuff 3 times with the same results. Each time it totally disappeared, but the end result was the same with a little or alot. The product I used was the unscented version (Fresh clean scent) and all traces of any scent were gone in five minutes. It does not leave the skin feeling sticky, taught, glossy or heavy like many products. It has zero sting, but leaves it feeling revitalized and tingly fresh. But the true magic of this was in the final result. My face felt like silk. Within five minutes it felt like a baby's but with a fresh coat of Baby Powder. I found myself constantly touching it just to feel the results.

I realize this review gives very high praise, but in 35 years of shaving I have never come across a product that delivers the goods like this one. My sample is gone now and I ordered some up. It will be very hard for me to go back to my standbys.

The company is giving free samples so I unreservedly recommend that everyone give them a try. I cannot imagine anyone not falling in love with this stuff. I do NOT believe that YMMV

ingredient list from the Gentleman's Refinery Website

UnScented After Shave Balm Ingredients:

Allantoin
Arginine
*Buxus chinensis (Jojoba) oil
Sodium PCA
*Butyrospermum parkii (Shea butter) extract
Lactic acid, sodium lactate
Distilled water
Olea europaea (Olive) oil unsaponifiables
Octyl dodecyl stearate – natural fatty acid
Bio Plex NMF = Natural Moisturizing Factors, Urea; cetyl alcohol; collagen amino acids
Glycerin
Glyceryl stearate
Stearic acid
Xantham gum
Acacia gum
* = Certified Organic features

Allantoin is an extract of the comfrey plant and is used for its healing, soothing, and anti-irritating properties. Allantoin is a valuable cell-proliferating healing agent which stimulates healthy tissue formation. Allantoin has a pronounced keratolytic and skin softening action, acts as chemical debrider of necrotic and scaling tissue, cleansing up the areas where applied.

L-Arginine is a natural basic amino acid which will hold moisture in the skin.

Shea butter - The presence of fatty acids and vitamins in Shea butter favor quick skin healing and sun protection. Shea butter contains cinnamic acid, which protects the skin against the harmful UV rays of the sun. Shea butter has been known to work well against stretch marks. Shea butter benefits those suffering dry skin, dermatitis and sunburn. Since shea butter is well tolerated by the skin, it usually does not trigger off any allergic reactions. This makes it ideal for use by persons with sensitive skin. The Vitamins A and E found in Shea butter help in keeping the skin supple and healthy. It also prevents premature wrinkles and facial lines. Vitamin F works as a rejuvenator. Rough and chapped skin is soothed and healed. Shea butter penetrates the skin easily and does not clog the pores.

Jojobaa oil - Jojoba oil helps promote healing of the skin in many ways. It has antimicrobial properties, which means it actually discourages the growth of some bacterial and fungal microbes that attack the skin. In addition, the chemical composition of jojoba closely resembles that of the skin’s natural sebum, so it is easily absorbed and rarely causes allergic reactions, even in the most sensitive individuals. Jojoba oil is actually composed of liquid wax esters rather than oil. The body’s natural sebum also contains wax esters, which act as a sort of natural moisturizer and environmental barrier for the skin. However, wax ester production steadily decreases with age, causing the skin to appear dull and emphasizing wrinkles; a reduced ester content in the skin can also lead to the development of conditions such as psoriasis, dandruff, and rosacea. Jojoba oil can prevent the skin from becoming too oily. Because the structure of jojoba oil so closely resembles natural sebum, it can actually trick the skin into producing less natural sebum, which, unlike jojoba, can clog pores. Jojoba oil may help treat acne, both by reducing sebum production and by protecting the skin from harmful bacteria. Jojoba oil contains many important nutrients, such as vitamin E, B complex vitamins, and the minerals silicon, chromium, copper, and zinc. It also contains a lot of iodine, which may be where jojoba gets its ability to fight against bacterial and fungal infection. In addition to acne, jojoba has traditionally been used to treat canker sores, cold sores, athlete’s foot, and warts.

Olive oil unsaponifiables provide both the emollient squalane and phytosterols which aid in skin health and repair.

Octyl dodecyl stearate is an elegant emollient that leaves the skin feeling like silk. This ingredient is an ester formed by the reaction between a fatty acid and a fatty alcohol which are both found in natural oils.

Natural Moisturizing Factors (NMF) are a group of water soluble compounds that are part of the intercellular matrix where they loosely bind and hold water in the skin. Soaking in the tub, showering and hand washing will wash away the NMF but can be replaced when added to a lotion which is applied to the skin.
One of the primary elements in keeping skin healthy is making sure the structure of the epidermis (outer layer of skin) is intact. That structure is defined and created by skin cells that are held together by the intercellular matrix. The intercellular matrix is the 'glue' or 'mortar' between skin cells that keep them together. It helps prevent individual skin cells from losing water and creates the smooth, non-flaky appearance of healthy, intact skin. The components that do this are often called natural moisturizing factors (NMFs) or ingredients that mimic the structure and function of healthy skin. While the oil and fat components of skin prevent evaporation and provide lubrication to the surface of skin, it is actually the intercellular matrix along with the skin's lipid content that gives skin a good deal of its surface texture and feel.
The intercellular matrix is the skin’s first line of defense against water loss. When the lipid and NMF content of skin is reduced, we experience surface roughness, flaking, fine lines, and a tight, uncomfortable feeling. The longer the skin’s surface layer (stratum corneum) is impaired, the less effective the skin’s intercellular matrix becomes (Sources: Skin Research and Technology, August 2000, pages 128–134; and Dermatologic Therapy, Volume 17, Supplement 1, 2004, pages 43-48). Moreover, the skin's healing process is impaired. NMFs make up an expansive group of ingredients that include amino acids, ceramides, hyaluronic acid, cholesterol, fatty acids, triglycerides, phospholipids, glycosphingolipids, urea, linoleic acid, glycosaminoglycans, glycerin, mucopolysaccharide, and sodium PCA (pyrrolidone carboxylic acid). Ingredients that mimic the lipid content of skin are apricot oil, canola oil, coconut oil, corn oil, jojoba oil, jojoba wax, lanolin, lecithin, olive oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, shea butter, soybean oil, squalane, and sweet almond oil, which can all be extremely helpful for making dry skin look and feel better.
All of the skin's supporting NMFs and lipids are present in the intercellular structure of the epidermis, both between skin cells and in the lipid content on the surface of skin. When any of these ingredients are used in skin-care products, they appear to help stabilize and maintain this complex intercellular-skin matrix. Although none of these very good NMFs and lipids can permanently affect or change skin, they are great at temporarily keeping depleted skin from feeling dry and uncomfortable. More important, all of these ingredients, and many more, can help support the intercellular area of the skin by keeping it intact. This support helps prevent surface irritation from penetrating deeper into the skin, works to keep bacteria out, and aids the skin's immune/healing system. Selecting moisturizers of any kind with NMFs (whether they are labeled as being antiaging, antiwrinkle, serums, lotions, or sunscreens) allows your skin to do its job of repairing and regenerating itself without the impedances brought on when skin is suffering from dryness and excess irritation.

Mild preservatives are used that do not form formaldehyde and are not parabens.

Latest reviews

You must have this in the den!! Great quality product that I'm just glad it exists. It's my go to after a rough shave. It stave's off razor burn like nothing else. Expensive? Yes, but it'll last you a long time and thus is worth the initial buy in price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This AS is fairly impressive. It goes on very nicely, sinks in quickly, and moisturizes like nothing else. That being said, for me it didn't really do anything significant for the razor burn. I find that if I use proraso pre/post and let my face air dry, then apply this AS it works very well. The proraso does the dirty work, and the TGR takes care of the rest.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is the best. I am sold and will never turn away. I bought this with a great deal at makeup.com along with the preshave oil and shave cream...so glad I did...Im not sure I can find anything better. Leaves your skin feeling perfect and the wife liked it too...A LOT :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)