What's new

Gem Single Edge Blades

Pros: Scary sharp, smooth.
Cons: Pricey
In my 1940s GEM Junior these blades worked astonishingly well. BBS after 2 passes, and cuts with zero effort. I can hear the blade "singing" as I cut but can feel nothing other than the weight of the razor. The price is a little steep, but since essentially all SE blades in this packaging are the same there are definitely deals to be had.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Stiffness, smoothness & sharpness
Cons: a little rusting
My Gem blades are the 'Blue' variety. I am not certain whether mine are the same as in this article because mine have developed some rust spots despite my having washed the razor and blade in alcohol after each shave.

The blades are very sharp, but not as sharp as a Feather DE. They give me an easy, extremely close, irritation free shave with three passes.

I recommend these blades and the Gem razor to all and most especially to those who are blighted as I am with an especially tough beard.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These blades work for me better than the carbon steel type. They are smooth and give a BBS with no drama. Additionally, they do not rust as the carbon steel blades require drying after use. Also, the Gem SS are locally available.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I've really grown to like SE shaving and these blades work very well for me, whether in my 1912, Micromatic, Junior, or Pushbutton. No complaints here.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
proxy.php

I love My GEM by Personna blades.
Price: I buy at the local Walgreen's for under $5 for 10 blades. Not as cheap as DE blades but they do last longer.
Quality: They don't rust and keep a good edge.
Sharpness: Sharp, not Feather sharp, but sharpest SE blade around
Longevity: 5 to 7 shaves. Can't get that from A DE blade.
Smoothness: Very smooth if you have your technique down.
Packaging: Shame it only goes to 10. I'd vote it a 12. Best packaging by far. In a vault and a used blade section as well.

It is my go to brand. Better than the Ted Pella look-a-likes.
It is what got me hooked to GEM shaving!!
proxy.php

John
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I first tried these blades about 2 years ago , and they are a part of my regular shaving rotation. I think it helped that I was semi experienced at using a straight razor. I found these blades very stiff and they reminded me of a St8 razor. With a deft touch and good shave cream and brush I found they gave me an excellent shave. I recommend a try with a Gem. Cheers.:001_smile
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I have used these and the Ted Pella coated which are IMHO identical in a 1912, a Micromatic, and a G-Bar. I got close smooth shaves with no weepers, irritation or any other adverse reactions. I bought the razors due to a combination of curiosity and RAD. I picked up a box of Gem blades at CVS and paid $6 or $7 bucks for them. I later got some Pellas from a forum member. They are pricey compared to available DE blades. A nice change of pace but I wouldn't make the Gem my main razor as I like the DE razors much more. I did get a very decent shave with these blades though. YMMV
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
D
I recently started using Gem Single Edge Razors. Featherweights, Micromatics, G Bars etc, and these blades work very well for me. Aside from being readily available in the local drugstores, they give a very close shave. 3 pass shaves with these razors leaves my face smooth.
No weepers, nicks cuts or razor burn to speak of. I could not ask for more.
Using the alum block post shave, there is never a sting. Good Stuff and easy to find.
PAIN!!!
On a GEM G-Bar
Got an scarily close shave, without trying. BUT I ended up with blotches of blood, no nicks. I was only using the weight of the razor, but because the design of the handle & the heft of the razor, it seems to put quite a bit of pressure in the skin. I got some microtome blades from a local scientific supplier and it worked much better. The blades looked identical but where much sharper. Also, it seems as these "Personna" ASR blades aren't PFTE coated...
I have got to say that I get a Fabulous shave with my 1912 Gem and these blades. I get smoother than with my Slant! :thumbup1: :thumbup: :thumbup1:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Truly wretched for shaving. Turns my Gem Micromatic (twist to open/tapered fob) into an instrument of torture. :cursing:

Excellent for scraping paint. :biggrin:
Top Bottom