What's new

Gem Micromatic with "Guiding Eye"

What's not to like about the Micromatic? I get better shaves with mine than I do with my 1912. I use Treet CS blades because I can get them locally, and they give me a great shave. I'm amazed at how much hair it takes off in the first pass. IMO it's a very aggressive razor that doesn't tear your face up, as long as you're careful. Mine cost me about 3 bucks since I got it in a lot with 12 or 13 other razors and some accessories and vintage blades.
This razor screams quality. It's very well made and should last many lifetimes.
I can't think of a more user friendly razor. The grip is very good. Blade changes are as easy as pie. Non adjustable and well balanced. It will always be in my rotation.
I wasn't even interested in SE razors before I got this one. I bought a lot just for the Gillette DEs and a Twinplex stropper.
I'd heard bad things about the Micromatic and was very pleasantly surprised with my first shave.
It's one of my favorite razors. Even at 5 bucks for a pack of 10 blades, it's much more economical than cartridge razors.
You must respect this razor. Poor technique will result in irritation and ingrowns. Taking your time and paying close attention to the shave will result in a face that could be mistaken for a baby's bum.

It takes off as much stubble in 1 pass as my DE razors do in 2 passes.:thumbup:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I recently acquired a complete mint Gem Micromatic with the "Guiding Eye" which included a fairly nice case,2 brass blade holders and 5 each Gem reversible blades and Gem single edge Micromatic blades. I tried each blade and they are definitely carbon never used in their original wrapper. The shave was rough at the least. Also included folded neatly was the original instruction sheet. Getting to the actual shaves. I used 2 different blades. First up was a stainless coated. The idea with the Guiding Eye is to put the razor flat against your face when shaving with the Eye facing toward your skin. The blade placement and geometry with this razor is different from other Micromatics. The shave is incredibly smooth and your hardly feel it cutting. But after 3 passes I get extremely close shaves maybe the best ever. I also tried the Blue Star which I believe is a carbon blade. Same results but the blade gets dull quicker.
Conclusion: If you like Gem razors this is the best of the best. I guess some will argue which are better but thats the problem with choice:001_smile
I guess this particular model is rare so I am hanging on to mine.

attachment.php

attachment.php
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)