Very solid with smooth operating TTO
User Friendly:
Very intuitive if you have ever used a nonpivoting head razor
Grip:
Deep grooves and a reversed taper handle
Ease of blade replacement:
TTO
Aggressiveness:
Not really that scary. SE blades are stiffer and will mow down what ever is in the way, if you have bumps, moles, growths, ect..., you may be mourning their loss if you are not paying attention.
Balance:
It feels good in the hand

I had to see what all the fuss was about so I picked up a suprisingly new looking open comb micromatic for about 5.00 shipped on EBAY. In all, this razor is not going to send you screaming into the night with jazz hands. If you use decent blades it will perform well and deliver an easy smooth shave. Perhaps not as gentle as the bullet tip with the bar, but definately an accessible razor that represents an outstanding value. I have given my wife my bullet tip and the open comb is now my go to for days when I am too rushed to use a straight or shavette.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I purchased a nice condition Open Comb Micromatic for a mere $3.00 at an antiques store.

If you understand that the blade is less flexible, than that of a DE, and hence shave more cautiously (handle the tool with care, and respect) you will get a close, perfect shave with a Micromatic.

Considering the fairly low cost of Gem Razors, it is well worth giving these a try.

The audible feedback of shaving with a Gem also can't be beat. You will instantly know if you have the angle off.

I wouldn't say at this point, that I prefer a SE razor, but they certainly will always have a well deserved spot in my rotation. :tongue_sm
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The pictured razor is a G/Bar.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
You can pick up Gem Micromatics for a nice price - often with a case. They also seem to weather pretty well, so a 1960 razor will look like it was made no more than 10 years ago. They are very aggressive, but if you are patient, watch the angle, and use NO pressure, you will get a super smooth shave. Single edge blades are nice and stiff, so they will cut through anything, but can feel a bit harsh if you aren't careful. The results are so nice that my Micromatic is becoming my favorite razor to use.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)