What's new

Gem Micromatic Open Comb

Pros: results are wonderful, very close shave
Cons: can bit you if you do not use correctly
I get my best shaves with this razor.

It is an aggressive close shave. I can shave in about 10 mins! I use it daily and the 5 O'clock shadow is more like a 10 pm shadow with the razor. Closer shave than my Gillette Slim set on 9.

I like using the carbon steel blades (Gem Blue Star) which are very sharp on the first use and costs me about 5 cents a shave.

By the way use, use great care first time you shave wth this razor. I removed the top layer of skin in a spot that first time. (I drew no blood, but you could see red skin in the area after the shave.)
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
This is the best safety razor I have EVER used!! It gives me constant bbs effortlessly, blades last up to 7 shaves, I think I could push them to 10 if need be, but, they are cheap. This razor is an absolute joy to use every single day. I got mine from a PIF for free, so that makes it even better! It is super aggressive IMO, and will bite you :glare: if not taken seriously.

Give it a try, be patient, I bleed and irritated the hell out of my skin the first shave, but by the 2nd attempt, I was almost a pro with her!!! You will not regret learning her ways!!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
She sure is!..I use a GEM 1912 with gem ss blades..3yrs later..I never got anything else since!
I use GEM Micromatic from about 3-4 months, and i can say : this is a shaving machine :) Great razor ! :thumbup1:
I recently won this beauty on the Bay and paid under $19 including shipping. The seller said it appeared the razor was never used and I agree. It came with 4 original "reversible" blades(double edge) which I think Gem was trying to compete with Gillette at the time. Now to the shaves. I skipped the original blades and used a Gem stainless. You must make sure the sharp end of the blade are under the two hooks on either end of the razor to insure proper angle. This razor works just like any other open comb which after my normal 3 passes produces a smooth irritation free shave. Since Gem razors are not as popular as regular Gillette DEs they can be bought at auction for very cheap. A real good deal when you consider they give fabulous shaves.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)