What's new

Gem G Bar

Pros: finish
Cons: aggressiveness
I picked this up as part of a DE razor lot and this was my first SE since my youth when the injectors were big. First, the finish and look are outstanding. This is one sexy looking razor and the blade replacement is literally a snap. I'm glad I read the reviews before using since it does take an angle for the blade to actually start giving feedback. That said, I found the handle a bit slippery and the length short, particularly with the head angled down, which made it very difficult when shaving the sides of my head where I generally choke up on the handle for a more delicate touch. I ended up finishing with a DE, but this could make for a good shave in the right hands. I fear those hands are not mine.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: High quality, attractive design, and a substantive feel
Cons: None
The Gem Heavy Flat Top aka the Gem "G Bar" is an outstanding razor. It was manufactured from about 1949 through the 1950s. It shaves close and comfortable, yet it is mild enough so that it does not nick the skin. It is an attractive razor than is built like the proverbial battle ship. The chrome is thick. I highly recommend it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Looks nice
Cons: Hacker
For some reason, this razor hacks my face up like a sword yielding ninja.I am using the correct angle but it is a bleeder for me. Looks great but not for me.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Great Gem Razor! :thumbup1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
There are a number of single-edge razor fans on the forum and given my initial experiences with my GEM Junior, I didn't quite understand why. Although it cut through my stubble very nicely and gave me a few good shaves, I didn't use it much because it felt awkward and put it on the shelf.

About four months ago I decided to give SE shaving another shot and picked up a G-Bar in excellent condition for a great price; mine is a UK Ever-Ready. I've accumulated a fair number of shaves with this razor and I think I have enough experience with it to give a fair review

Price: Excellent. I purchased mine for a little over $10.

Quality: Solidly built and showing little sign of wear and tear. The plating is excellent with only minor brassing on the underside of the razor. I have heard folks call the GEM razors ugly, but to me they are quite attractive. The G-Bar in particular has very clean lines and a very efficient design.

User Friendly: It's easy to get the hang of using the G-Bar because the angle of the blade cover pretty much gives you the correct shaving angle, although you may need to tweak the angle slightly to suit your individual preferences. However, the large head can be a little tricky to maneuver in tight spaces, such as underneath your nose, so you have to approach those areas a little differently than you would with a DE razor.

Grip: Very positive, I've never felt the razor slip when my hand is wet or has lather on it. The lip on the bottom of the handle makes the razor much easier for me to hold than my other razors, particularly during ATG passes.

Ease of Blade Replacement: The razor is easy to load: just press the lever to pop the cover, slide a blade behind the corner stops, and snap the cover back down. The blade is held quite firmly and is in no danger of slipping during use. Removing the blade is just as easy.

Aggressiveness: The G-Bar strikes a decent balance between blade exposure and protecting your face from a deep cut. The blade gap is wide enough that clogging is not a problem with this razor but not so large that you risk a deep cut during a careless moment like the one I received from my Parker 91R. If you use the correct angle and shave lightly, you'll encounter no difficulties. You will, however, be treated to the surprisingly loud sound of a stiff single-edge blade efficiently slicing through your stubble. However, don't use this razor on unlathered skin because you'll feel the burn if you do.

Adjustability: Not applicable because this razor is not adjustable.

Balance: Excellent. If you grip the razor with your thumb and index finger on the circular indentations on either side of the handle (one-third of the distance from the head of the razor), you've found the balance point. I prefer to hold the razor a little further from the head which lets me use a slightly lighter touch.

Overall: I had heard that single-edge razors could deliver an amazingly close shave but I didn't really believe it until I tried this razor. Quite frankly, the G-Bar floored me. I found it to be not only brutally efficient but also surprisingly easy to use; right off the bat I achieved results better than I'd gotten a month or two after starting DE shaving. Now that I've had a bit of practice, a three-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) with the G-Bar leaves me with a DFS+/near-BBS shave that lasts at least 12 hours whether I use soap, cream, or canned foam.

Every time I shave with this razor, I wonder why I bother owning any other razors. Shave with one and you might wonder the same thing.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I love my G-bar. I rated 10 all around except for aggressiveness, it shaves real close but not aggressive to where it will cut. I rated it a 5 on the grip, for a razor this good, a better grip would've been the topper. The cheaper blades I find in my area rust afer the first time if I leave them in the razor so I remove the blades after each use and place them on some nearby place to air dry. Even the cheap blades last a whole week this way. I never keep a blade more than a week so I don't know if they could go longer. This is a good enough razor to be my only one, if I didn't have so many other kinds.
Ernest
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Does anyone know when the G Bar was in production?
Our good friend Wayne Truitt gave me a very clean G Bar as a PIF a couple of months ago. He was also kind enough to include a healthy batch of Ted P. SE blades.

Since going straight......:biggrin:.......I've been less and less satisfied with my DE shaves. This razor kind of splits the difference. It's a bit more menacing than the typical DE, but not as menacing as a straight. It also give me a nearly straight shave closeness. I'm surprised to see low ratings from other members regarding aggressiveness. I can do a three pass shave with a relatively aggressive DE and if I finish up with the G Bar, it always finds a few remaining whiskers to slice.

On days when my hands are a bit shaky or I simply don't have time to use a straight I reach for the G Bar.

Very cool razor and had Gem had the ad dollars or the ad exec's Gillette had back in the day we may all be clamoring for vintage Gems.

Thanks Wayne!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
It took several frustrating attempts with this razor, before it became clear what a good shaver it is. Unlike a 1912,which happens to be my favourite s/e,this baby will not work if you keep the head flat during a shave,as shown in the instruction booklet.:rolleyes: Tilt the head ever so slightly and the resulting shaves are amazing.Trial and error made this razor a definate keeper for me.:smile:Great looking razor too.:smile:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Hanspleasure;477703 said:
For some reasons I can't get pics to load, so here's a link if anyone is interested.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=477702#post477702

I have recently taken to experimenting with SE razors including several GEMS. Having used a ton of different DE blades, I was just curioius. I also have used a micromatic as well and the G is about as nice. However, the drug store GEM branded blades from ASR just don't cut it (pun intended). I have an order in from Ted Pella to see if they are better but, if not, I might have a bunch of GEMS and blades for sale in the coming months.

The razor has no adjustability so I gave it a 0 for that. I used it this morning, the second shave on the blade and couldn't finish with it. Had to use my Slant with an Astra. The blades seem to rust and remain only box cutter sharp after the first blade. I think my problem is with the blades and not the razor though.

Overall, it is an occaisional razor, at best. Nothing can take the place of a good Slant or HD with a feather or Derby!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Although I'm relatively new to the new to the world of DE shaving, it's not difficult to tell the difference between a good shave and a great shave, especially when price is involved.
And if you're looking for a razor that performs well and has looks to boot, then Gem G Bar is worth the few dollars you'll spend on one in fantastic condition, compared to the curiously high prices some vintage razors have been demanding lately, such as The Gillette Fat Boy. You'll need some slick looking blades to go with your slick looking razor and Ted Pella sells Single Edge, PTFE-Coated Stainless Steel Blades (box of 200) for $33.
Here's a link. http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1623602
By far the Gem G Bar has given me my closest and most comfortable shave yet.. compared to the various DE's (Merkur Vision to Gillette Techs) and Schick Injectors.
It didn't take very long to adjust to the dangerous looking blade angle, and I found it quite easy to maneuver through those tough areas under the jaw, nose and tricky areas on the neck. When you hold it, you notice how well balanced it as, with just the right amount of weight. It feels like a Real Razor.
Since I'm not brave enough to wield a straight (yet), the Gem G Bar is the next best thing.
All and all I can't find a single flaw on this razor and am very happy to have made it a permanent spot in my rotation.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)