What's new

Fromm "Hair Shaper" Razor

Pros: It's cheap, all metal construction.
Cons: The blades are thin and without support you will get cut!
You shouldn't use this to shave with. If you get the holder and put the blade in a Dovo shavette, fine. But the blade is thick on top but thin with about 1/2 inch exposed. You can hurt yourself bad.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
0.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
0.00 star(s)
I recently purchased a FROMM razor at Sally Beauty Supply. I was very pleased with the quality look & feel of the product; however, it is somewhat smaller than a traditional straight which impeded it's performance somewhat.

My biggest gripe about this razor are the blades. I've tried both FROMM blades and Personna blades, but have not been able to find one I like. Both of the aforementioned blades tore the heck out of my face -- over 35 weepers. I've used a str8 before, I know how to be careful -- but the blades were kickin' my ***. I'd love to find a sharper blade for this razor, but will likely sell it and try out a model which uses 1/2 DE blades instead.

Too bad -- cause I really like this razor! :bored:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
1.00 star(s)
You can't beat the price of a FROMM! Plus it's a fine sideburn-trimmer and hair shaper too.

The ergonomics aren't exactly like a real straight-razor, but they are close enough to give you a feel for what using one is like.

It's entirely stainless and takes disposable blades, so maintaining it couldn't be easier.

The shaving smoothness depends on the quality of the blade. The Personna brand blades didn't last very long for me (1-2 shaves). I haven't tried other brands to compare. It's also possible that the quality of blades they are turning out has changed since I got my pack about 5 years ago.

I don't use the FROMM regularly, but I've gotten decent shaves from it when I tried.

Unfortunately, even the most basic new straight razors cost something like $70 today. But you can usually find a FROMM locally for around $5. The bottom line is that it’s such a small investment that there’s very little risk in trying the FROMM. And that makes it a great way to see if straight razor shaving works for you.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
2.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
1.00 star(s)
Reactions: Zig the Pirate
This item was my first attempt into straight razor shaving. It worked out very well. It definitely raised my confidence to get a real one.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
2.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
Picked this up upon recommendation from a friend at Sally Beauty Supply for about $5.00. Also got a 10 pack of Personna injector-style blades for about $4.00.

I'd been using a Vincent straight that used half a DE blade with decent results, but kept getting nicked with the blade corners. A friend recommended the Fromm Hair Shaper, so I gave it a go. You simmply slip the comb/guard right off, slide in a blad, and you're good to go. I'm getting the best shaves of my life with this thing in only two passes, WTG and XTG. Few (only one so far) nicks. It's not a classic straigh razor, but for those with limited funds (like me) who want to make the jump to straight shaving, this inexpensive little beauty is a godsend.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)