What's new

Florena shaving cream

nehpets4627;3027583 said:
How much is this going for in Canada? I've not seen it anywhere in the states, but picked up a tube for 1€ today in a small town in east Germany (among others including Arko Cool, Palmolive, Wilkinson, etc).

I haven't seen it anywhere in Halifax but we can get the Nivea for about $3 in most of Canada.
One of the best values in shaving cream today: it does everything well. Two big thumbs up.
How much is this going for in Canada? I've not seen it anywhere in the states, but picked up a tube for 1€ today in a small town in east Germany (among others including Arko Cool, Palmolive, Wilkinson, etc).
I saw the same Nivea package in London Drugs. The Florena was on clearance at $0.99 / tube! Grabbed one to try and may return for more if it agrees with me.
I must say first of all that I'm in love with this scent. It's definitely so far my favourite smell from any shaving product I've tried. I only wish it performed better so that I could use it on a more regular basis.

That's not to say it's garbage, but I went back and forth with Proraso for a few mornings and kept preferring the Proraso. Proraso has a nice scent, but the scent of Florena is just amazing. I remember thinking, now if only I could get the performance of Proraso with the smell of Florena, I'd be in shave heaven. But alas it wasn't meant to be.

Being a cream, it doesn't seem to have that density of lather that the solid Proraso gets, and just seems slightly sloppy on the face. It doesn't seem to offer nearly as much protection on the skin, and I feel as though my razor is scraping through it more than gliding like it should be.

Still, it feels like a quality product and YMMV. At any rate it wins hands down as my favourite smell. :thumbup1:

*Edit: I'd like to add that I bought this a while ago and is the pre-Nivea rebranding, hence the above rant is about the old smell, which unfortunately appears to have changed. :frown:*
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Great in every respect except one. It smells like a grandmother's wig dunked in unflushed public urinals.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I picked this up for C$3.00 at a discount store in Toronto, which is very cheap by anyone's standards. The look of the packaging is good - masculine, in a modern and restrained way. The smell in the tube - meh! Not so good.

The cream lathers quickly and well with my Omega boar brush, but needs a touch more water than Proraso. Surprisingly, the smell of the lather is mild and pleasant, floral but not overpowering. The lather, once it's creamed up, is slick and feels good and smooth on the face.

The lubrication whilst shaving is good and I found that it stayed wet enough. The lather in the bowl was good for three passes, without losing any creaminess or slickness.

A good, inoffensive, everyday, journeyman cheap cream. I like it, and will keep it on rotation with Proraso as a daily driver.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Picked this stuff up for 2.67 at Walmart, I had recently purchased Williams shave soap and wasn't happy at all with the results. This stuff was only a dollar more than what I paid for the Williams too. Knowing that Nivea makes good products, I didn't hesitate to buy it, I'm glad I did it performs much better on all scales compared to Williams. I love the subtle faint smell of this stuff, being my first time using it, I think I skimped too much on the cream because my lather was kind of thin but it does lather up fairly easy and quickly. It didn't dry my skin but I was a bit disapointed on its moisturization properties, I was able to get a near BBS with my Mach 3 Turbo. I recommend trying this product you can't go wrong for the price. Even though I was pleased with the results, There are definately better soaps and creams out there that deserve a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Great stuff, great. Cheap, sorry I mean inexpensive, very pleasant smelling, great lather. I can't ask for more and certainly not at $3.00 Canadian dollars for a 100ml tube. I'm using it instead of Proraso now that the winter is here. It's not quite as moisturizing as Musgo Real, but it's $3.00 instead of $20.00.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Not a big fanof the scent so I got rid of it but it's cheap and works excellent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This was a really nice shaving cream. However, it's been purchased by nivea and retooled. It doesn't contain camomile anymore, which really made this stuff smell great. The new version contains "sea minerals and vitamin care". The smell is still very nice, but not quite the same, and overall, this is still a very good cream. I can't tell any other differences between the two products. It's very lubricating, lathers quite easily, seems to last forever, and the price is reasonable.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I stopped by Wally World this afternoon to pick up some Rain-X, and while passing the shaving aisle, saw a stack of Nivea shaving cream tubes - "formerly Florena" was clearly marked on the packaging.
Picked up a couple of tubes at London Drugs on Broadway off Cambie, in Vancouver. $1.99 on sale, can't go wrong for that price.
The scent can be a little over powering for daily use, but my grandpa used this stuff for the longest time. Good enough to use a couple of times a week. A real working class, no nonsense, get the job done right kinda cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
D
hi,

I picked up a tube at Shopper's Drug Mart here in Canada for $3.79 plus tax - $4.00 total.

I emptied the tube into a small plastic tub (I don't like tubes) and have had three excellent shaves with it.

I like the scent, the lather is great, and I think this stuf is at least equal to the Body Shop (twice the price) and close to C&E (5 times the price).

Two thumbs way up from me:lol:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Its a good emergency cream but that about it.
I don't find it protective enough to do nice touch ups which will lead to some buring, as in my case.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I picked up a tube at Shopper's Drug Mart here in Canada for $3.79 plus tax - $4.00 total.

I emptied the tube into a small plastic tub (I don't like tubes) and have had three excellent shaves with it.

I like the scent, the lather is great, and I think this stuf is at least equal to the Body Shop (twice the price) and close to C&E (5 times the price).

Two thumbs way up from me:001_smile
This shaving cream reminds me of trampling my neighbour's flowerbeds as a kid - green/light floral/earthy. Even my flatmates don't mind it and they complain about everything ;-)

A litte bit cooling but not too much. I find it adequately moisturizing - i have combination skin that gets dry easily on the neck, so it isn't AMAZING, but is OK. And it holds up to daily use without irritating the skin. i never used to be able to shave every day, but now i can.

I lurve the packaging - all masculine/scientific/german-engineered looking. not at all oldey-timey like C&E and most english brands.

Is cheap, the cheapest 'real' shaving cream I can find in my part of Canada, $4 per tube. Considering that the next step up is Musgo Real for $13 around here, that's a steal.

Takes a bit of persistence to lather it well - you won't get great heaping mounds, but i can easily load a brush for 3 passes with a blob the size of a peanut. You have to add a bit more water than some others i find, b/c it turns to elastic fluff if it starts to dry on the face, not good!

All in all, i recommend it. it's my everyday cream, I don't rotate much or have shelf-loads of products like most around here.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This is the first proper shaving cream I've used, and I have to say, I'm very impressed. The first thing I noticed about this is that it smells exactly like what my grandfather used to smell like. It's exactly what I think of when I picture an 80-year old man. It's a very mild scent, though, and it's not bad to smell like that.

It was very easy to get the hang of lathering it. I'm using a cheap, $5 Wilkinson Sword boar brush from Wal-Mart, and I find that it works best if you use quite a bit and squeeze the brush beforehand. Then you add water by tipping it in with your palm until you're getting a rich lather similar to what comes out of a can of Barbasol.

I'm getting a very good shave out of it, and it leaves my skin feeling soft. I'm very impressed for a $3 tube.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
As I said before for the price (0.99 Eur here:eek: ) It's a really good product.
Latherability is excellent. Moisturizing too. I'm really surprise by the quality of Florena.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Getting the brush wet in some hot water.
displayimage.php

Tube of specimen.
displayimage.php

30 Seconds into the lathering process.
displayimage.php

2 minutes into the lathering process - when I finished.
displayimage.php

The hand test.
displayimage.php

After squeezing the brush to get to the good stuff.
displayimage.php

Enough Said.
displayimage.php

I find that this is much better for the shave after a rough shave or an extremely close shave. It feels my skin feeling really really smooth and no irratation.
Top Bottom