What's new

Floïd (Spain)

I paid €13.95 for a 400 ml bottle (from Gifts & Care). That is about $18 US, converted. So that is about $ 4.50 for a standard 100 ml! And that for a outstanding, magnificent AS. I LOVE this stuff. It has a real classic, old school barbershop scent. In fact, in the past I had a hard time describing barbershop scents. This AS is the best example I can give if asked to describe one. This is as classic as they come; a love it or hate it scent. Very powdery, very barbershop-like. It is barbershop heaven if you like it, but old-man-smell-hell if you hate those kind of scents. Me, I love it. Well balanced, mild natural orange, sophisticated; LOVE IT! It has a nice cooling effect. It has a good moisturizing effect. Not the most from every AS I have tried,but descend. More then enough to leave your skin in good condition. Alcohol, well... his certainly has it. I like that, it stimulates you to shave well. Unless you have sensitive skin I suggest not to avoid AS's because of this; improve your technique instead, and go for a DFS. This quickly became my nr. 1 AS, pushing Proraso to a nr. 2 spot, doing what no other AS has done before. I very strongly recommend this fantastic AS.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great scent, cooling and soothing
I received my bottle of Floid Suave from Vintage Scents a couple of weeks ago and have used it everyday since.

The quality is top notch, the bottle looks great, real olde time.

It really does remove redness and stinging. I slap on some Thayers post shave, which is great, but the Floid adds another layer of soothing in excess of Thayers alone.

The cooling sensation is luscious and lasts for ages, I'm almost looking forward to the humid sticky months ahead (almost). :bored:

The scent is superb, it's booted my other favourites to the back of the queue. It's fresh, powdery and a bit citrus-y. Some people say it smells like an old man's scent, but I totally disagree, it's a modern and very pleasant fragrance.

I don't find it overly moisturising, but I use an ASB anyway, so that's not so important. There's an alcohol blast sometimes for me, depends how the shave was, but I find that a bit refreshing.

Gents, don't hesitate to grab yourself a bottle of this excellent aftershave, I'll be buying some more when this bottle runs out. :wink2:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
First time I shaved (many years ago...), my father gave me a glass of Floïd for my first aftershave experience. He is, until today, a big fan of this brand, and still uses it almost in a ininterrupted way since the 50s.

The price is very fair, nor cheap or expensive, but fair.
Quality is TOP, because:

1. Really fights razor burn;
2. You won't find better cooling sensation with other ASL (I use the "vigoroso", and the freshness is awesome);
3. The scent is, IMO, the deffinitive barbershop scent;
4. Fights redness, refreshes, smells really good, moisturizes in the perfect level..;
5. I dont' care much for alchool burn (I think I like it...).

Join us, and become a FLOÏD addict!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This stuff takes me back in time. I cannot remember if my old man used this but it smells like I recognise it from yesteryear. I picked up a bottle for 14.5 Euros. I love the smell and it does what is prescribes to do which is kill razor burn and provide mositure. It lays down a foundation for you to sooth the skin and if necessary, apply an after shave balm or moisturiser. Ignore the 'smells like an old man' comments, these are the ones who fleet from fragrance to fragrance with little idea of what quality really is.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price Decent. You can find it in supermarkets in Spain.
Quality For what you pay, excellent.
Fights Razor Burn It does, indeed.
Cooling Sensation At the very first moment, it burns like all the Hell devils together. Then, it's REALLY cooling.
Scent I do not like it at all, it makes you smell like an old man. I actually only borrow it from my grandfather, when I go back to my town.
Efficacy It leaves your skin as if you had never shaven. Great
Moisturizing Excellent for being a splash.
No Alcohol Burn. Not much.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I just arrived back from a trip to spain and picked up this little gem in a supermarket for 5 euro along with a bea shave stick for 1 euro. I used the aftershave while I was out there and for the last few days at home and have to say I love it. Its smells a bit sweeter than the Italian floids but is just as good at finishing off a shave and you have to love the menthol for that extra cooling effect. It doesn't dry my face out although I don't think it adds any moisture either. This is another old school classic aftershave that should be in every wet shavers den.:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: Ok, so... I didn't rate this high on price because I had to order it from Spain. It costs quite a bit, but I gave it a 4 because it is a very outstanding aftershave.. which kind of cancels out the cost because I believe it is worth it.

Quality: I find this aftershave to be superior in terms of quality. I think the ingredients were so well put together it is impossible to slap this stuff on and think you're putting on aqua velva (sorry AV fans lol). Everything is just... well... SUAVE

Fights Razor Burn: I rushed my shave, but I don't get razor burn that much anymore. But I suspect this stuff does fight against it.

Cooling Sensation: Cooling sensation... This is the reason I bought spanish floid suave. I am after mentholated AS... and so far this one is in a rotation of 4 mentholated AS I use consistently during the summer. Wow, what a menthol blast. When I splashed it on, it felt like Chuck Norris tied a glacier to his foot and then round house kicked me in the face. :laugh: SO AWESOME!!
I love it. It was way worth the price I paid for it due to this menthol factor only.

Scent : I find the scent to be very mentholy and sweet initially, but when it dries you are left with a sweet babypowdery-barbershop scent. It is definitely a scent that just makes you come back for more.

Efficacy: Does what it should

Moisturizing: Not very moisturizing, gee imagine that. However, it does not dry my face out or make my face really tight, which is a HUGE win.

No Alcohol Burn: Suprisingly, I barely noticed any. I expected any razor burn to appear for at least a few seconds before Mr. Freeze showed up to blow burn to oblivion, but even upon application, there was no burn. I don't really get razor burn anymore unless I use a crappy blade, or I just forget about technique.

If you love menthol, if it won't break your bank, and if you want one of the most invigorating aftershaves around, then get some Spanish Floid. :thumbup1:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I love this scent, and that of the Italian Floid, too. It has a very refreshing, barber-shop smell. It feels so good on the face after a close shave. A clean, manly aftershave, this one belongs in your rotation!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I got a bottle of this through Vintagescent.com. Overall its a great AS product. I really love the scent, which is very old-time barbershop. The glass bottle and bakelite cap scream quality.

The AS is excellent at fighting razor burn, whenever I use it I never have razor burn. The castor oil contained in it provides great moisturizing properties. The cooling sensation is there, but definately is not as strong as Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer.

Definitely will keep as part of my rotation. I won't use everyday though as it would be a bit expensive to ship bottles that frequently. It is a very good fit in a rotation with Aqua Velva.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I notice in the reviews section, people tend to comment a lot more if they have positive things to say. In the interest of having the downside stated, I thought I would review this aftershave. First of all, I do love the Italian versions of Floid (I have 400ml bottles of each). In regard to price, if I lived in Spain, I would rate it a 10, but for what you pay here in the States, I call it an 8 (which still isn't bad). As for quality in regard to what it's intended to do, it is also a very good product, as stated in the other reviews. Unfortunately, when it comes to scent, something went horriby wrong with both of the Spanish versions. For me, they are extremely sweet...sickly sweet in a peculiar way that reminds me exactly of...the scent of urinal pucks. Sorry Floid fans. That's enough to ruin the Spanish Floid experience for me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I think this is the ultimate aftershave. I love the scent and it a long staying power. Of all the products I have tried I must say this one is my favorite.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Some of the numbers I gave this product may not hold up well with experience AS users - I really don't have tons of experience with them. I don't get razorburn very often at all, so I found that impossible to rate. What I can say is this product has a wonderful fragrance and is attractive in appearance & packaging. It is something I'm already hooked on after just a couple of days. It's not as cheap in the States as in Europe, I gather, but it didn't break my bank either. Two thumbs up!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I ordered this a month or so ago from The Vintage Scent Company for a little over 13.00 plus shipping and really liked it. It has a sweet powdery smell with a little floral. The menthol is also there and very nice, it will be in the line up for this summer.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Love it love it love it. Got this in the supermarket in Spain last week cost me all of 4 euros ive paid more for a pint in Dublin! Super stuff smells good and does the business in the aftershave department if you can get it pull the trigger if you cant find someone who can and beg/bribe/beat them until they get you some!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have the 'vigoroso' version of this aftershave, which has a LOT of menthol in it (forget Proraso, this stuff has way more).

The price is great if you live in Spain, but if you're getting this from another country it'll cost a bomb (I paid £9 for a bottle delivered from Spain). However, its still worth it.

The bottle looks great, and just feels nice and solid. You could wack someone over the head with it, and it would still be fine.

The aftershave smells great (nice barbershop scent), and works beautifully. It has a HUGE menthol effect, which seems to mask any alcohol burn (as I felt very little).

Overall, this is an awesome aftershave, which I definately need to get if I ever go to Spain.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff is the nuts! The first mentholated aftershave I've tried, and by golly does it cool the skin! It's like ice all over my face! Wow! I like it...

The scent is nice, rather sweet, a touch of aniseed at first, plus the minty menthol smell, it is very sweet. Very powdery too, with a hint of florals, it won't be taken for an old man scent in England, but may be seen as a bit perfumey perhaps. I like it, but it's not my favorite scent.

The moisturising qualities are OK, a little on the mild side, but fine if you splash enough on. The alcohol burn... I defy anyone to notice that behind the ONSLAUGHT OF MENTHOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I found Floïd by chance during a day in Holland a few months ago.
I bought the 300 ml bottle and I don't regret it at all : cooling sensation is fantastic, the smell is like in an old barbershop place (very traditional) and my wife love the smell :biggrin:
If you have the opportunity to find some Spanish Floïd, don't hesitate.
It's a typical summer AS but (like me) you can use it also in winter time.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Greetings. As I promised in my first post, here are my comments on one of Spain's landmarks in wetshaving: the mighty Floïd! This is the mild menthol version, a 150 ml. bottle. Now, I have never tried the Italian version, so I cannot compare the two of them, but I'll welcome your thoughts.

Some history: The package says the original formula dates back from 1932, that's three years before Aqua Velva was first launched in the market, and six years before Old Spice. So this means it really is an OLD, CLASSIC after shave, with a scent that has virtually remained unchanged. By the way, it's spelled "Floïd" after it was introduced in the French market; without the "¨", a Frenchman would say <flooad>.

The easily recognizable orange box.
displayimage.php

The design has been recently updated, the face of the happy man is no longer in colour but in silver. The same applies to the sticker on the bottle.

The back of the box.
displayimage.php

Here's a translation, kindly offered by yours truly:

"From 1932, Genuine Floïd is made following an exclusive formula, whose effects are friendly to the skin. It soothes any kind of razor burn, providing a nice cooling sensation. It is presented in three varieties: Strong menthol, for hard skin; Mild menthol, for normal skin; Balsam, for sensitive skin."

Ingredients: Aqua, Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Parfum, Hexyl Cinnamal, Coumarin, Hydroxylcitronellal, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Alcohol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil :blink: , Menthol, Citric Acid, CI 19140, CI 16255, CI 73015.

The box and the bottle.
displayimage.php

The cap has also been recently changed. It used to be faux tortoise shell, now it's plain black.

Price: After having read some of your posts, I know that this is regarded overseas as a "luxury" item, because of the shipping costs that render it very expensive; but it is rather cheap here, costing between 3-5 € (the store where you buy it makes a difference).

Quality: It really is a cool product. What you see is what you get, the orange liquid does its job as an after-shave lotion. Some may dislike it, but I personally think it is outstanding, faring well against more expensive products.

Fights Razor Burn: Well, it certainly does its job. However, Floïd is considered to be one of the lotions with the highest levels of alcohol in the market, so expect an average of 5 seconds of stinging before it calms down your skin. After that, any redness on your skin will disappear.

Cooling sensation: One of its strong points! After those 5 seconds above mentioned, the menthol kicks in and leaves you feeling as if someone had pressed a bag of ice on your face. I simply love that, can't think of another way of describing it.

Scent: A classic! If I were to describe it, I'd say that, on a first impression, it's sweet, like the candy your grandmother used to give you. Then you perceive the menthol, and other citrusy levels that add the note of seriousness to that first sweet smell. But with Floïd, it's all or nothing: either you love it or you hate it. Some people, like myself, love that scent, which lingers on well into the afternoon, but others can't stand it. I think the reason is that, to the Spanish youth, it has become too old fashioned, something only used by old people (imagine two old men chatting, basking under the summer sun, waiting for the bullfight to begin, and you'll get the idea). That is why some people say it reminds them directly of elderly men ("it smells like a retirement home!", I got that a few times); I have even heard it's not only outdated but... vulgar:mad: Nonsense! I personally can't imagine not using it. Just try it, that's my advice.

Efficacy: Very good, the combination of menthol, alcohol and scent works wonders and it will leave you wondering why didn't you try it before.

Moisturizing: A weak point, at least for me. It does moisturize my skin, but not enough. I have oily skin and after 10 minutes I feel my cheek too dry. I usually back it up with a few touches here and there with Nivea ASB, a bit of advice I got from Dinder1's guide on aftershaves for those with oily skin (thanks! :thumbup: ).

No alcohol burn: As I said, Floïd has a lot of alcohol. I gave it a low mark out of honesty, because the first times I used it the fires of hell unleashead would have been but a pale comparison. That was because I shaved horribly and my face was like a tomato, red with razor burn. On top of that, I applied it as I had always applied my Nivea ASB: rubbing it fiercely on my face... I'll leave it to your imagination. Nevertheless, if you shave correctly, this alcohol-based ASL will be gentle enough (like any other alcohol-based ASL, again, if you got very little razor burn).

Take a whiff and surrender.
displayimage.php

To conclude, this is a must have. I'll try to get some info on international retailers. Hope this review was helpful!

Here is the discussion thread if you do not want to rate it. Feel free to post your opinions.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)