What's new

Floid Sandolor Preshave

Floid. Say it quietly to yourself. The name conjures images of power and elegance. Floid has fought its way to a very special place in the hearts of wetshavers everywhere as an aftershave. Now, you don't have to be limited to aftershave. Now, you can also have a preshave.

First, let me start by saying that I am using Proraso as the standard. I really like Proraso. Its affordable, easy to obtain, works well, and (importantly) water soluble.

Description: Floid Sandolor is a blue pre-shave gel. It comes in a plastic bottle, imprinted with the label, which is squeezable and has a "dispenser" small-hole type stopper under the cap. Floid Sandolor is available through several online stores.

Price: Depending on where you shop, Floid is going to run between $15-$20 for a 200ml bottle. I got mine for $15, which means that I paid $0.075/ml. For comparison, Proraso runs about $0.13/ml and Castle Forbes about $0.32/ml. So, the per unit price is right: almost half of what Proraso costs, and about a quarter of what Castle Forbes costs.

Scent: Sweet barbershop. Not quite the full Floid scent that I am used to, but still quite enjoyable. In fact, I really like the scent. Its present, but not overpowering.

Use: I found that I tend to use a bit more than I would if it were Proraso. The amount for me is more like what I would use of Castle Forbes. Of course, at this price, I am comfortable using a bit more.

Efficacy: Its pretty slick going on. Seems to soak in well. So far, it works well. I'd say on par with Proraso. Softens and protects, but doesn't cause the blade to stick or skip. Washes clean from hands and blades easily, but perhaps with slightly more effort than Proraso.

Moisturizing: Maybe I'm alone in this, but I can't really get a sense if any preshave is moisturizing or not. It goes on, gets lathered on, and shaved off. I left the category empty because of this. (Just wanted to mention why.)

Menthol: I've noticed that a lot of people around these parts really love menthol. I'm pretty neutral. I don't sense any menthol whatsoever in this so, if you love menthol, you probably want to keep looking. Of course, if you don't like menthol, this may be just the ticket. If you're neutral like me, its a non-issue.

Summary: I don't know if this will completely replace Proraso. But, it works well and is priced even better. I like the barbershop scent, and find it relaxing. Best of all: it is Floid. :thumbup:
Top Bottom