What's new

Feather SS SE Blades

Pros: the hype
Cons: doesnt live up to the hype
Price 1 cmon these are feathers they cost more than any other blade out there.

quality 5 I gave a 5 because I wasn't impressed. lots of other blades out there for less than half the cost that have just as high a quality.

sharpness 5 tugged from the very first shave.

longevity 2 they go down hill fast must be a quality issue

smoothness 4 not the most comfortable shave but not the worst either.

packaging 5 I give everything a 5 here not sure why we rate this.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp
Cons: Perhaps a bit too sharp
I know some people love these razors, but no matter what I did, I could not get a good shave out of it. I had a ton of weepers after shaving with this blade. I don't think I have sensitive skin, but this blade tore me up.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
If your razor is too mild for your liking, this blade will fix you up.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
First off thanks to Bit2 (John) for letting me in on his bulk buy. I'm really torn on how I feel about these blades. It's a fun blade to use in the Valet Autostrops, and I also used it in a Damaskeene, two 1914 Ever-Ready's, a 1924 Ever-Ready and 1912 Ever-Ready. One drawback is that they aren't compatible with any of the Micromatics.

I just think based on cost to longevity ratio there are other blades that perform just as well at much less cost. I'll use and enjoy the remaining blades, mostly in the Autostrop, but I don't think I'll buy any more.

Price I gave them a 7 based on the full price for these blades. At rougly $1 and change per blade I don't think they're a particularly good value.
Quality I gave them a 10 because they are very well made, as is to be expected from Feather.
Sharpness 10. I mean, come on they're Feathers!
Longevity Here's where I see the weakness of the Feathers, so I gave them a generous 7. I got five good shaves but the sixth was pretty rough. This would be acceptable for the typical drugstore blade that costs 30-50 cents each, but at $1 and change a pop I want longer service life.
Smoothness of Shave The Feathers for me were very smooth for the first four shaves then dropped off on the fifth and sixth shave so I gave them a 7 for the same reason as my problem with their longevity.
Packaging I put N/A because I really don't care about the packaging. The Feathers do have some glue/wax on each blade but it doesn't bother me.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Well I have been dying to report on these blades but I needed to get my arm out of a cast first so I could get a shave with my right hand.

First of all is cost. Mine was outstanding. I ordered in quantity and received a deal.
I contacted Mr Lubrano from Classic Shaving. He placed a special order for me and I waited patiently for them to be shipped to me thru him from Japan.
If the interest increases he may carry them in stock.
I gave it a 9 in price; you will have to trust me on that. Maybe this is something I will bring up to Brian about a group order.

Quality is a 10. It’s a Feather what did you expect? It’s thick, sturdy and stainless steel. Everything you’d expect in a Feather blade.

Sharpness and Longevity, I rate both a 10.
First shave is very sharp. Again, what you expect from Feather. I shaved a two-day growth and I was not sure I was even cutting anything until I finished and it was BBS! I am able to get 5 good days per blade, in both the Valet and the Damaskeene. That makes them a better buy.

Smoothness:
I was impressed that it shaved so close and smooth. I rate that an 9 because the 4th and 5th shave were a little rougher.

Packaging is an 8. Wax spots annoy me and I would rather have the wrapper glued to the wrapper itself, instead of wax on the blade to secure the wrapper.

I used the Feather blades in my Valet and my GEM Damaskeene.
It fits both the cutout Valet and the slide in Valet. The Valet is a little rougher shave than my GEM Damaskeene.

View attachment 148428

For use in the GEM razors it requires you to remove the spline from an old/new/donor GEM blade. You reinsert it over the Feather blade and place in your favorite GEM razor.
The blade shines in the GEM razors {warning TTO GEM razors like the Micromatic will not accept these blades).

View attachment 148429

I highly recommend these blades.
proxy.php
Very Sharp.
Please be careful removing the splines.
You need on pop the edges with a very tiny flat screwdriver or thin knife end.
I had better success with an old dull pocket knife to bend the aluminum spline away from the GEM blade.
Please take appropriate safety precautions so you do not slice the hell out of your fingers.

John or Bit2

PS: I wanted to chime in on the price. When I bought mine I paid less than 55 cents per blade. That is an AT DEALER COST. If it means I buy in large lots so be it.

PPS. NO GEM or TREET blade ever shaved as smooth or as nice as these Feathers.
It is unfortunate that they do not work in Micromatics. But they make my Valet , GEM Push Button & Gem Damaskeene sing.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I recently ordered and received these blades form Razor Blades and More. They were the only vendor I found that carried them, other than Feather. I bought them to try in my Valet razor in hopes that they would fit. Much to my happiness they did.

The price I gave as a 7 because they were well over a dollar per blade, I paid $8-9 for a pack of 5. But the price can drop dramatically, to just over 50 cents per blade if one can get them from Japan.

The quality is superb in my books. Now I am no connoisseur of razor blades, but these make my GEM PTFE seem chaply made. The one thing I have seen with any Japanese product, is that it may be similar to another country's item, but made much better. The blade is thick, sturdy, attracive, yet fierce looking.

The sharpness is something (for me) I have never experienced before. The first shave seemed rough but it was because the blade was so sharp (similar to water so hot it feels cold). The second shave I couldn't feel anything, it was so smooth! Like I said above, they make my GEM blades seem poor and cheap.

Longevity I gave a 9 because I got 4 shaves form the blade. As my form improves I may push it to 5, but usually blades only last 3 shaves for me (both SE and DE). That is why it is rated high for me.

Smoothness is an 8 because the first 3 shaves were more than fine, but the fourth shave was rather rough.

Packaging is given a 9. The packaging is as shown: the cardboard box with individually wrapped blades. The blade packages are held together with drops of wax (which can be removed by running the blade under hot water for a few seconds). not the best, but more appealing than the GEM blades that have the cardoard wrapping around the edge.

All in all I really like these blades. I am now able to have my Valet razor in my rotation, which makes them even better. They are amazingly sharp, but like the DE blades, treat them like any other razor blade and you'll be fine. They are nothing to fear!

Also a side note, I have sensitive skin and these blades did not irritate my face at all. I know some have issues with blade irritation, but these were fine. I recommend all to get a pack of these to try out. I know I will be only ordering them by the case now!

Good job Feather!:thumbup:
View attachment 146500
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)