What's new

Feather 'Popular' Safety Razor

Item Description

I have both all metal D/E razors and the Feather Popular which is composed of both metal and plastic. I kept going back to the Feather and now use it exclusively.

The general consensus is that the quality is poor. I feel that "quality" is a relative term. You can not really compare this particular razor to all metal razors because it is not all metal. For what it is, being both plastic and metal, it feels like and looks like it is well manufactured. The base of the head is plastic and this includes the safety bar. The silo doors and hinges are all metal. The doors open and close smoothly and tightens the blade down frimly. The blade is properly set and aligned.

The weight, though it is light, makes the razor feel well balanced between the head and the handle. The handle is also plastic and long and has a good grip. The handle feels like maybe there is a metal rod inserted inside the handle but can not comfrim this.

My only question would be the "durability" of the razor. These sell on the internet anywhere from $10-$20 with an average price around $15. For $30 one can buy a decent all metal razor that could last several years. It is hard to say how long a Feather Popular razor will last.

So I would not recommend this razor so much as an economical choice as I would because of the smooth and close shave I get and no razor burn. Keep in mind that I have a medium to light beard. This may not work as well on heavy beards.

Latest reviews

Pros: very smooth shave with a feather blade.
Cons: none
I needed a travel razor and I bought this one after reading the reviews on it here. I started my first shave with an astra blade but after a couple of strokes I changed to a feather blade. Three passes and a touch up left a very close shave with zero razor burn. I wish my Parker 87R would shave this smooth.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Lightweight, long handle, good blade alignment, well balanced and non aggressive
Cons: Plastic handle gets slippery and light weight does not work well with heavier beards
This is a good inexpensive razor. It is a long handled TTO (butterfly) type) It's lightweight and good balance makes it a good fit for newbie and experienced wet shavers alike. I have a thick beard and I find that it works best with Feather, Shark or Derby blades all of which are extra sharp! For a metal and plastic combination razor the quality is very good!
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent quality, great price.
Cons: None noted
This is an excellent razor. Couple this razor with a Feather blade and you have one very excellent shaving instrument. I have been using this for 5 days straight with the Feather blade and get a gourmet shave with one WTG and one ATG pass and walk away with a BBS shave. Some might find this razor to be too mild, however I do not. It comes in a hinged plastic case that holds a package of blades. It is made in Japan, it is a Feather and shaves like a dream. I wish I had one years ago! Makes a great starter razor for those coming from a 2 or three blade razor or those who want to try something different. The price and quality of the razor coupled with the quality and consistency of the shave make this razor a standout.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)