What's new

Feather DE razor blades

D
I bought the top shelf sampler pack for use with my 10 year old Merkur Heavy Duty. The Feather blades was by far my favorite.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Oh the feathers....how I so wanted to like them. They are very sharp sure, but they are some of the roughest blades ive ever put to my face.
I never once cut myself, but after the shave it felt like my face went through a meat grinder.
They also lack any real form of longevity, by the second shave the blade couldnt slice through any stubble and just skipped accross my face. Add to that the fact that these are some of the most expensive blades out there and what your left with is some blades that definately arent for me!
I know alot of folks love these around here....Im just not one of them.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I have been DE shaving for 6 weeks, and have tried a few different blades. The Feathers are sharper than any other I have used. I get a little razor burn on my head with these, but nothing shaves closer. Excellent blade!!!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
This is the best blade I have used yet! Shaved with test blade 3 times, 2X VDH Deluxe Soap, 1X Speick Shave Cream. Wonderful shave, this could be my blade!:thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I've tried several blades: Merkur, Sharp, Shark, Blue Bird. But Feathers have been the most consistent and closest shaving blades by far. Yes, you need to be careful, but you should always be careful while shaving. Feathers make you pay attention to angle and pressure, but that is what make you a better shaver. Personally, I think all DE shaver should look to progress to the Feather.

Scott
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I get wonderful, nick free shaves with this blade in my Merkur 38c. I didn't even nick myself on the first shave. You have to respect a sharp blade--I always shave with a light touch. These are the best blades I have used. They're totally worth the money. Noticeably sharper than Kai (<3 Kai) and Derby blades.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I have tried every way possible to find a blade that tops a Feather.:001_smile After trying Derbys, Iridiums, Reds, all the current Gillettes, Merkurs, Crystals, Astras, Lords, and who knows what else. :001_smile Nothing to me comes close to this blade. Now all i need to do is stock a few thousand or so.......:wink2:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
D
the feather is truly god's gift to us all, its a bit intimidating at first, but you simply can't beat this blade. its prob the best in the world really. I don't shave against the grain with this blade only because i simply don't need to. its definitely the closest with the grain shave i have ever achieved in my life, this is also great b/c my extremely sensitive skin cannot stand against the grain shaving of any kind. now its expensive sure, but you get what you pay for with these bad boys, i mean its surgical grade blades what do you expect?!

but after getting a bunch of these wonders, i wake up every morning and thank god for feathers!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
As so many have said already, these blades are mighty sharp, but aren't to be feared - they're to be respected. A lot. Take your time, keep the pressure minimal to non-existent and you'll be rewarded with a fine shave. At least that's been my experience using Feathers in my Merkur 38c. However, I do find these leave my face a wee bit more raw than, say, an Astra SP or Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow.

When it comes to longevity, goddamn, the Feathers kick some serious *** - the longest I've gone with one so far has been seven days straight of four-pass shaves (2 WTG, 2 XTG) and I'm sure I could have taken it to ten, but I didn't feel that hot water was enough to clean the blades. Normally five shaves is my limit for this reason; I'm just seeing how much mileage I could get out of one of each of my blades.

I'll be keeping Feathers in my rotation, but I don't see them as my go-to blades.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I have been using Feather blades since I started DE shaving a half year ago. They are really sharp and do not drag on the skin. They are seriously good for people with sensitive skin like myself, and I have not been able to get the same shave with any other blade I have tried. I have tried Derby, Merkur and none of the them provided the same gentle feeling when dragging them along the skin. In general a fantastic razor blade that provides consistent good shaves everytime you use it. A word of advise, just do not use the blade when it is dull, than it will definitely cut you:thumbup:

Best regards Michael from Denmark
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Price: £8.99 for 30. I can get 100 Derby blades for one pound more. They are still cheaper than a cartridge, however that should be a given.

Quality: The biggest dissapointment. Yes they are sharp. But poorly finished, giving a rough shave. (see below)

Sharpness: Yes they are sharp, slicing through hair with ease. A 2 pass shave can achieve BBS on my face and chin.

longevity: I normally only get two shaves out of a blade. One each side and then I toss them. With the Feather I can flip it over and go for shaves 3 and 4. These are smoother than shaves 1 and 2.

Smoothness of Shave: Poor. It was a return to the bad old days of irritation on my neck and under my chin. I would normally associate this with any combination of:

-A dull blade
-Too much pressure/ over shaving
-A poor quality blade

I will discount the 1st two, as these blades are famed for their sharpness and I am an experienced shaver.

I tried every trick in the book regarding prep, used my best soaps and creams, and have tested the blade on different razors. But still get weepers and bumps and redness. Shaves 3 and 4 are a little better and I suppose that these blades would benefit from corking. That would be one solution. Another would be just to not bother buying these blades again.

Packaging: Bog standard with the little used blade slot. My gripe with the packaging is that they are a little heavy on the gum that sticks the waxed paper onto the blade. Meaning that the paper has to be picked off. I try to handle razor blades as little as possible and the excess glue puts me at increased risk of cutting myself. I prefer to save that for the shave! :biggrin1:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
After many experiments I kept coming back to these blades because they are smooth and they glide right through my thickest hairs without a trace of tugging.

Excellent blades overall! Best I've ever had. BTW, how can some people here complain about a razor blade being really sharp? It's supposed to be guys! Sharper blades always give me a far better shave with less tugging so just work on your technique if you are having problems with that.

Best of all with these fine Japanese blades I can get about a weeks worth shaving out of each one and so based on that they work out really cheap. (Just rinse the blade off in alcohol after each use and they seem to last and last).
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
In the Rotbart 2000 with ARKO stick it gave me a good and smooth shave. Just a little burn afterwards, which is good in my case. They are good and even top blades, but not imo "dangerous" or whatever. Try them and see if they work for you. I have decided to use them in the weekends.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
One of my favorites right now. Very sharp blade which is a blessing and a curse at the same time. As long as you take your time and be careful, get ready for a very smooth shave. However, if you slip up and rush it and get cocky, you will pay for it.
I didn't want to comment on the longevity until I've finished a full pack. Any how, using these blades are a significant step up in comparison to the Merkur blades. Either Merkur blades are terrible or my beard is really tough. If the latter is the case, and most likely is, these or any blade that can slice through my facial hair smoothly is the one for me. Using this blade I realized that my technique was not that bad. The Merkur blade just snags on my facial hair, regardless of how much lather I use. And for me to get a BBS shave out of this blade was like performing surgery. And after half and hour and thirty plus passes I have accomplished my goal. The feather's sharpness allows me to make bigger leaps in my directional transitions, thus reducing my shaving time. The caution I developed from the Merkur blade's tendency to snag translated to a forgiving shave with the Feather. My experience in blades is very limited at this point, and I have purchased Personas, Derbys, Lords and Gillettes to diversify my experience.
I use the mighty Feather in a Merkur HD that I've shaved with since I started wet-shaving about six months ago. It's a good blade, and I purchased some in bulk so that I could always have some available. My wife, especially, enjoys using the Feather blades on her legs. We think it's because they are especially sharp, such that she gets a smooth shave with one or two ATG passes and no ingrown hairs later.

Price - Maybe I don't get them from a really cheap supplier or my idea of bulk (50) is not everyone else's. So, the blades come to 67 cents apiece. That's about 1/2 of a cartridge (I measure blade price by cartridges in my head, with a Mach 3 cartridge costing around $1.40 each). So, it's a good price as far as per-shave pricing goes, but still not as inexpensive as other blades. I think I saw someone else once post that the Feathers are a great value when we factor in the price, the number of shaves, and the ratings of the blade all together, but I wasn't convinced. I think it's possible to get just as good a shave from other razor blades for a lower per-shave cost.

Quality - Seems to be very high quality, I've never noticed any variation in how well the blades are made.

Sharpness - again, seems very sharp. I get a nice DFS shave (I only go for DFS shave), and my wife will only use these blades on her legs. Also, I get no pulling on my facial hairs when shaving, which to me, means the blade is cutting the hairs rather than tugging through them. This happens regardless of whether I have an excellent prep or just so-so prep.

Longevity - They last a good 4 to 5 two pass shaves for me. I've never tried to use a single blad longer than a week, so *shrug*. I've read others mention how the blades only last two shaves or so, but I generally can use any blade five days or more, as long as it starts off OK for me.

Smoothness of shave - I always get a nice smooth, DFS shave from Feathers. And, the best part is that I don't get left with a rough/dry/tender feeling face, either. Further evidence is that the alum block rub after shaving does not sting, kinda feels like I'm rubbing a cool piece of marbel on my face.

Packaging - I love the packaging, from the yellow color on the box to the fact that 10 blades are packaged in a set (less waste on packaging) to the fact that the plastic box has a built-in blade disposal slot for trash safety. Sometimes I wonder if a paper box would be more environmentally conscious, but I can't help but really enjoy this packaging design.
Price: Standard

Quality: Good quality blade

Sharpness: Very sharp

Longevity: Lasts for several shaves, cannot complain. Love this part!!!

Smoothness of shave: Awesome BBS shave every time!!!

Packaging: Standard
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I ordered a sample pack from West Coast Shaving, which included a 10-pack of Feathers. First I tried the Astra Superior Platinum, which gave me much better results than the Derby's I had been using, but today I manned up and tried the Feather. I could not be happier with the results. Note: I did not rate "longevity", because today was my first shave with the blade.

This blade is incredibly sharp, but I find it to be a perfect match for my incredibly tough beard. On my first pass, I did not get a single nick. The Feather in my Merkur Barber Pole cut through my beard like a hot knife through butter. Even on troublesome areas, such as my mustache, chin, and around the Adam's Apple, the Feathers exhibited an effortless, smooth razor glide. I kept an eye on my technique throughout the shave, but I actually found the blade to be somewhat forgiving on the first pass. I gave myself two slight nicks on subsequent passes and had to cut my BBS journey short, but the wounds healed quickly when cold water was applied after the shave. There were no "surprises", either. When I nicked myself, I knew it, and it was because of poor technique at that moment in time. These blades are like teachers. You learn your lesson immediately, rather than waiting until the end of your shave to find yourself covered in bloody spots.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have a few nicks than ingrown hairs or irritation, and that, along with the complete lack of tugging, is why I'll be sticking with the Feathers. Anyone want the rest of my sample pack? :biggrin:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These are my go-to blades They are extremely comfortable, smooth and close shaving. I give the packaging a 5 because throwing plastic dispensers into the landfill is not my favorite thing to do. Otherwise these blades make my DE shaving experience worthwhile. I can't give a higher recommendation than that. I would also add that these shave me closer and more comfortably in my Merkur HD than in my Gillette slims. Strange because my experience with every other blade I've tried is just the opposite. Buy a sample pack and try 'em!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
My moment of clarity came as I was pulling a multibladed vibrator around my pumpkin and finally realized I was a moron for paying $$ for avg blades.
My First attempt was with A 1904 Merkur and Merkur Blades.
Nothing Special and i was tempted back to the dark side.
Then I thought what the hell,I will try the Feather DE razor and the blades that came along with it.
The moment I made my first pass,I was smitten.
I have used several other brands with mostly good results,but this is the standard.
I have never had a serious cut ,but I shave sober and in front a mirror after proper prep.
I will gladly pay a little bit more for the quality ..
You WILL learn good technique with Feathers ,they are that sharp.
I average 5 shaves a Blade.
I have a 5 years supply ,enough said.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)