What's new

Feather DE razor blades

When I started wet shaving Persona Reds were my go-to. When those didn't seem make a close enough shave I tried out the Feather. SHARP. Just wish they lasted more than 2 shaves. I've tried going more than two but on my beard the 3rd shave with Feather pulls. Will keep looking around for that sweet spot of sharp/smooth/economical, but definitely worth experiencing after you feel comfortable with your technique.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Quite aggressive
Cons: Price
Great blade - just be prepared to concentrate! Only reason I don't shave with them every day is the price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: quality, sharpness, longevity
Cons: price
Feather New Hi-Stainless double-edge razor blades

Price: $4.50 for 10 blades–$0.45 per blade. They could probably be purchased for less if one were to buy in bulk.

Quality: Each blade has smooth edges and consistent bevels. It is difficult to find flaws with these blades.

Sharpness: These blades "edge out" those made in St. Petersburg for sharpness. Feather's New Hi-Stainless blades are the sharpest double-edge blades I have used.

Longevity: The initial sharpness mellows slightly after the first shave, but these blades remain sharp for 7 days or longer.

Smoothness of Shave: I expected these blades to be harsh, but they are surprisingly smooth—even in the more aggressive razors I have tried. I suspect this is a function of quality.

Packaging: Plastic box of 10 with disposal slot. Single-wrapped with glue spots.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Wonderfully Sharp and smooth
Cons: Did the earthquake shutter the plant?
These work really well in my Fatboy. The smoothest shave I have had with fewer passes needed so there is no razor burn. A bit on the pricy side but worth the money IMO. The are sharp and should be respected as with anything sharp near your face! Don't be scared of these because you will really want them!:001_tt1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I have used Feather blades in my Fat Boy for 15 shaves and took careful notes. Overall, Feather is a blade that does not cause razor burn. I have had razor burn free shaves all of the times that I have used Feather. Although on the expensive side, the quality and sharpness of the Feather are worth the money.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Love these blades.One of the best I ever used.In my EJ87 I can't ask for a better shave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Ah let's see. Though feather has a substantial following, and many claim they take hold of great shaves with this blade, I just can't do it. I have been wet shaving for almost 4 years, so technique with the razor is down to a "t" now, and I get excellent, and I mean superb shaves, with almost every blade i use, except feather, and merkur blades.

I do think the quality of the blades is great, because the blades sharpness are consistently sharp and give me the same mediocre shave everytime I use them. They are not mediocre because they aren't sharp, because they are VERY sharp. They just tug and pull at my hairs and don't cut smoothly.

In one trial I used a feather blade for 3 shaves and by the third shave I could easily sense and tell that the blade was spent and it's shelf life gone.

Price is another HUGE reason I don't bother with these blades. They are simply too expensive a price to pay to get the shaves I get with them. I've seen them as LOW as 40 bucks for 100 blades on ebay. Yeah, no thank you. I can get red IPs or derbys for less than half of that for 100 blades, and get a seriously more superior shave. To each his own. This is my review :thumbup1:
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Overpriced, that's for sure.

Quality is in the middle; what does it mean here? The next three ratings are the quality indicator for me.

Yes, they're sharp. Deadly sharp. We all agree.

I got three shaves out of one. Tried for a fourth even though I knew it was out of gas. Mistake. The remainder of the pack will each be used twice before going into my soup can.

The first two passes were a smidge rough for me. Then the feel got much better. Too bad it didn't last as long as many other acceptable and less expensive brands.

Packaging is also in the middle for me. We have mandatory recycling in my area but I gave up disposables because of the plastic waste involved. Better not to use plastic in the first place is my thinking.

To recap: Meh!
Price: for 100 blades on ebay, expect to pay $30-$35. This is not a low-price for DE blades (many brands go for $10-$15 for 100), but for the quality of blade, it is a very decent value. And really...aren't we usually comparing the price of DEs to the price of carts?

Quality: I haven't had a dud yet, and each blade I've loaded appears consistent with the prior ones.

Sharpness: I've a tough beard...Feather is the only blade that doesn't skip on my first WTG downward cheek stroke (my litmus test).

Longevity: 3-4 shaves...about my standard.

Smoothness of shave: Solid for me, but along with price, this is the usual point of contention with Feathers (some say they are sharp, yet not smooth)

Packaging: Plastic case with individually wrapped blades and a blade disposal slot on the back. Don't use it, but nice feature.

Overall: 9. My blade of choice after spending a year with another brand that was less aggressive (but good to learn on). Didn't know a blade could be this much better for my face, but low and behold, it's now my go-to. If you have a tough beard (or not), give it a shot.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I got these in a repackaged sampler kit, so I can't comment on the packaging.

The blade is very sharp, as everyone says. You can hear the hairs pinging against the blade. it's a pleasant sound. I didn't find the blade irritating. In my 49 Superspeed, it was actually quite smooth. I did get a nick or two here or there, but I put that down mostly to my technique.

They are a bit more expensive, but one assumes a lot of work went into getting them so consistently sharp, so that if that's what you like, I would consider these a good bargain.

For me, the extra sharpness wasn't really necessary, so I prefer something a bit more forgiving. If you are getting too much tug on your hairs, however, this blade will cure your problem!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Love these blades. I really can't say anything that hasn't been said. I just hope they never stop making these like they did with the Swedish Gillettes.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
The first ever time I used a feather blade was my worst shave ever. My face was sore all day. I remember applying soothing balm twice and my face still felt raw throughout the day.

Fast forward 6 months and with my technique getting much better and the stop in production of Gillette 'Swede' blades, I decided to take on the Feather again.

Thank God I did. Now, it is the only blade I use. For my dense and tough beard, nothing else comes close. I shave with it every day: WTG (with the grain), XTG (across) and DTG (diagonal across the grain). I go ATG (against the grain) if I am going out for an occasion. Effortless shaving with no nicks/cuts.

Mysteriously, I get 3 shaves from the yellow-packaging feather blades and 4 shaves from the black-packaging ones. I'm sure there is no difference in the blades. They are just packaged differently for different markets (countries). Perhaps the black packaging makes me respect the blade more and concentrate on my technique!

Anyway, 3 or 4 shaves is fine for me. I also usually buy 50 or 100 blades in one go in order to get a good price; $16-18 and $30-$35, respectively.

The blades could be a little cheaper, but then no other blade is as sharp or makes shaving as easy as a feather does for me. You get what you pay for. And, it's a price worth paying. Feathers are still way more cheaper than Gillette Cartridge blades.

I must repeat, your technique has to be very good to use this blade. Also, if you have a mild beard, then it might be worth trying other blades because you will save a few bucks along the way.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I have been a succesful straight razor for 3 years since last trying these blades. 3 years without razor burn save for a attempt at method shaving.

Feathers shave extremely close for me. Feathers are extremely sharp. If you know what your doing you shouldn't nick yourself. All that was fine for me. But the razor burn from these beasts takes them off my list of usable razors. At first I thought I only had minor irritation and was hoping my skin would adapt to these. A few hours later my upper lip looks like I have been drinking red koolaid and my neck looks like I spilled it.

If Feathers suit your skin type without irritation I can't see finding a blade that delivers a closer shave. But for me if I had to use these things I think I would just grow a beard. :lol:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
What can I say, these are top of the line when it comes to DE blades. I think these are going to become my go-to brand from now on. I bought only 10 blades initially just to test them out and so far they seem to perform very well.

Price - In this regard, the blades are a bit pricier than most, but they are extremely smooth and well worth the price for the great shaves you get.

Quality - The quality is pretty evident after the first shave, especially when you compare a fresh Feather with any other brand. The smoothness is unmatched in my opinion, but YMMV.

Sharpness - The sharpness is great with this blade. It slices through the hairs neatly and quickly.

Longevity - I do find that after 2 or 3 shaves the quality goes back down to that of a Derby or Wilkinson. It isn't dull, but that super sharp edge goes away quickly for me.

Smoothness of shave - All I need with this is 2 passes, WTG and ATG and I get a very smooth, very comfortable shave. No irritation with these blades and nearly BBS every time.

Packaging - This is subjective, and while I don't find anything extraordinary about the package of Feather blades, they do have a practical standard disposal slot and the design is pretty neat too.

All in all, if you want a superior shave, go for Feathers. Loaded in a heavy HD standard they perform extraordinarily well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Price: Not the cheapest, but given the quality I'd pay twice for these what I would for any other blade. Given that I pay less than I'm willing, they get a 10.

Quality: Ah, the perfect blade. It is the only blade that doesn't give me ingrowns. I have used (from next best to worst) Astra, Crystal, Derby, and Personna, and nothing compares. This must be the product for which "YMMV" is most true, because each of the other blades irritates my skin and leaves me with 5-10 ingrowns per shave. Even though the sharpness may irritate the skin, I have found that if I spend 20 minutes on a 2 pass shave, with touch ups, that amount of care prevents irritation. With the others, they pull before they cut all the way through the hair, which is a recipe for disaster.

Sharpness: I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said. They make "razor sharp" an apt phrase.

Longevity: I get 4 good shaves before I notice a decline. Not the best, but respectable.

Smoothness: I find that skipping is more a soap/cream thing than a razor thing, but whereas sometimes Derbys would skip even with a slick cream, Feathers never skip unless it is a really dry lather.

Packaging: It holds the blades and has a slot for used blades. Beyond that, I don't care (hence the "n/a").

One last note about the newbie vs. experienced shaver thing. I almost gave up on wetshaving after spending a month with Derbys and Personnas. The first good shave I had was with a Feather, so I don't think it's necessary to be experienced before trying a Feather. But if you're concerned about nicks, you certainly should have a few shaves with something else just so you get your technique down. Personally, I would rather cut myself with a sharp blade (which will heal quickly) than deal with ingrowns where my skin is still red and irritated for a week after the incident), so if you're like me jump into Feathers.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Price - These are expensive blades, but if you want high quality made in Japan you need to pay the price

Quality - Very good.

Sharpness - The sharpest blade, there's no doubt.

Longevity - Around 3 shaves, average.

Smoothness of Shave - Smooth during first 2 shaves, but then gets harsh

Packaging - Ordinary blade plastic box

Conclusion - Sharp as a butcher's knife, gives you a really close shave
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
If (and only if) you are an experienced shaver, this is THE blade. I use Feathers in my HD slant and get the BEST shave ever. This is the blade to aspire to. :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Price: OK, maybe a little pricey but they are darn sharp.

Quality: On par with the other popular blades (Derby, Merkur, Personna).

Sharpness: Ninja sharp, be careful with these ones!

Longevity: I find they last about three to four shaves but I do have very hard stubble.

Smoothness of shave: The Feather's only get a 6 in this department as I find they are very harsh on my skin, it feels as if I have sandpapered my face after a shave!

Packaging: Standard
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
D
I'm a bit familiar with how to hone an edge with different metals. And, I'm not all that impressed with the Feather blades. Yes, they ARE sharp...out of the wrapper. But, it doesn't take much more than one shave to dull these blades. For that, I'm simply not all that impressed. I can get just as close of a shave from the Merkur blades, with about 3 shaves total (with 3 passes each.). Plus, the gauge of this blades seems a bit thin in comparison to the Merkur. Not my favorite, especially with a thicker beard. To me a "sharp" blade has to last longer than one shave.
i just used feathers today for the first time. i got the sampler pack from letterk, and i tried the merkurs, derbys, and the red personnas before the feathers, and these were better than the derbys and WAY better than the personnas and merkurs. YMMV but i love these blades.
Top Bottom