What's new

Feather DE razor blades

Pros: First few shaves are amazing, the blades graze through stubble as if it doesn't exist. Few passes needed to achieve BBS results.
Cons: Shortlived sharpness, the fine characteristics of the blade disappear after 2 or 3 shaves. And the sharpness is unforgiving. If you nick yourself it can result in a bloodbath.
An interesting blade to keep in my rotation, as I like a good challenge as an enthusiastic wetshaver. :). I agree with other reviewers that you can achieve very nice results with this blade if you pay close attention to your shave. But the blade is unforgiving if you make a misstep. They are not the cheapest blades, but compared to the cartridge stuff it's still a bargain to keep some of these blades in your den.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp
Cons: Short life span
I try to go 6 shaves on one blade, but the feather just doesn't want to go there for me. It is a very sharp blade that can be unforgiving at times. You cant rush through a shave with these.

The first couple of shaves are great and worth it.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp, smooth
Cons: Pricey
I used the Hi-Stainless blades without the platinum coating. As a blade, Feathers are difficult to beat. They really are DAMN sharp but aren't dangerous as long as you have a good method. I get some of my smoothest shaves with them! No tugging at all, so much so that it feels like the razor isn't cutting.

Now for the 2 downsides.
1) They don't last very long. I only get two shaves per side usually, never more than three.
2) The price! If they were less expensive I would use a LOT of them, but at 5 to 8 bucks for a 5 a pack I don't see that happening any time soon.

Truly astonishing blades, just not worth the money. Go buy some NOS Tomac blades instead!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: The definition of a sharp blade
Cons: unforgiving
It is just a blade that doesn't work for me. I do not find it pleasant to shave with. Can get a great shave with it if you have a thick and tuff skin. Mine is just too pliable and thin.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Very sharp and long lasting for me.
I have tried a few blades in a Gillette Rocket. I don't shave everyday, usually every 4-5 day.

The green Astra SP blades only lasted 2.5 shaves. Next tried the Ladas SS blade. It lasted 3 shaves. Felt sharper than the Astra.

Finally I dropped a Feather into the Rocket. Night and day difference. No irritation or razor burn. Very smooth. I was amazed at how long these lasted. I recorded 13 shaves from one Feather blade.

I shave with the grain, then across/with the grain. 2 passes.

1-9th were smooth, no irritation/razor burn.

10-13th the blade was getting dull. Still got bbs on the cheeks, chin 2 passes. Now the neck area needed a 3rd pass, acceptable dfs. Blade was getting rough. Some irritation.

Of course YMMV. If you have a Gillete Rocket or Super Speed then next time try Feather blades. ;)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth and sharp
Cons: none
Price a 10 because I get 3 shaves form a blade, .09 per shave. I know there are less expensive blades, but please.

Quality a 10 because I've never had a bad one.

Sharpness a 10 because I've never found a blade as sharp.

Longevity a 10 because I am not interested in shaving with the same semi-dull razor for 2 weeks. Life is too short. 3 shaves and toss.

Smoothness a 10 for same reason as sharpness.

Packaging a 10 because who cares.

The Feather blade has become the standard all others are held to. How many times on this site have you read "almost as sharp as a Feather"?
I have tried many of the blades others claim are as sharp as a Feather. Med Preps, Gillette Blacks, etc. For me they are not almost as sharp as a Feather.

So why not just get the sharpest blade? I may not be th emost interesting man in the world, but I use a Feather.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp, consistent quality, smart packaging
Cons: Average longevity, over inflated image
Moved to Feathers after trying Derby's and Personna Blues, neither of which stood out for me. My curiosity was piqued by the amount of hype these got from reviewers, so like many others before me I took the bait and waited in anticipation of their arrival. I don't know what I was expecting but my first shave was a bit of an anticlimax, maybe I was hoping to leave the bathroom with my ears in a bag, but these didn't seem to be the demon blades many of the reviews made them out to be, yes they gave me a close shave but it was nothing special. I have used these in my DE86 for a while now and after getting through a few packs I have decided to move on, do they offer a close shave? Yes. Are they the stuff of legend? No.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Pros: smoother and closer shave
Cons: none
I shave with a shavette mostly. I have sampled a few blades and stuck with the Feather blades.

I have very sensitive skin with fast and strong growth.

I find the Feather blades provide a more seamless shave. This is due to the fact that they cut through hairs with less effort/tug which in turn, assist with better blade glide. even the first pass delivers a pretty good close shave, ideal for work nights.

For me personally, this blade really is in a league of its own.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
As sharp as they say & fine longevity with a moderate beard growth.
Not as smooth as some of the Personna blades, but still ok.
Reasonable value for money as nothing else will get you as close a shave as Feather blades.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Very Sharp
Cons: Terrible Longevity
I didn't pay for this blade, but looking at the price on the net, I think the blade is overpriced for what you get.

I thought I was going to love this blade. The first shave I had with it was fantastic. It was the smoothest shave I have had yet. It was a three pass shave (WTG, ATG, XTG). I had one weeper, but other than that I was very pleased. The second shave was also very close, but it was a little rougher on my neck.

The third shave (this morning) was awful. I had tugging from the start and should have changed out the blade. My neck was absolutely butchered. I almost didn't finish my second pass.

I have to attribute this to the durability of the blade. I have a course, thick beard, but I was getting 3 shaves out of an Astra SP, with very little tugging noticeable on the last shave and very little irritation. Granted, the shave was not as close, but I felt that the blade was durable and forgiving.

I am new to this and I am sure that my technique needs lots of work, but I am being careful to keep my approach consistent and I cannot believe that the butchery on my third shave with a feather was solely due to technique. This looks like a two and out blade. It is certainly not worth the cost in my book.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Very sharp and last a long time.
Cons: If you get too aggressive with them they will "bite".
These are my "go to blade". I've never had any harsh shave with them at all. When they start getting dull they let you know but I never let them go that far. I've used a lot of brands but this one tops my list.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp
Cons: Wears Out Too Fast
Very sharp first shave. Second shave it tugged and cut too much. Pretty much a one-time use blade for me. Not worth the high price.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Extremely sharp and long lasting
Cons: Expensive
After trying at least 20 of the most popular types of blades, I found that the Feather blades were the sharpest and longest lasting. I am rating these higher than Wilkinson Sword or Gillette.

Buying these on eBay gets me the best price. Some sellers are offering deals such as 50 blades for $15.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: sharp, smooth
Cons: not cheap, doesnt last
very sharp and smooth blade
the quality is constant
cant get more than 2 smooth shaves so for the price bad longevity
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Yes they are sharp per their reputation
Cons: ..but I find them inconsistent blade to blade
I only started wet shaving two months so I waited to write my review after I had some experience and tried different blades.

Price: $20 including delivery to S. Korea, pretty good considering only Dorco is carried locally.

Quality: When they are good they are very very good but when the are bad they are so-so. Very inconsistent about a third of the time I get a lousy blade that is not super sharp and causes allot of irritation. Unlike Personna med preps which are consistently excellent.

Sharpness: Maybe it is my newbieness or YMMV while they are sharp I feel that the Personna med preps are sharper.

Longevity: I toss all my blades after two uses. I tried these a third time and no problem. I am happy at $0.10 shave.

Smoothness: If I get a good blade very smooth is not then pretty rough.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Cons: only comfortably lasts for two shaves
My daily blade. The longevity is anything but long though; starts tugging in the middle of a third shave, so I change to a new blade every other shave to avoid that. Still worth the extra cash...
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp, smooth and irritation free
Cons: None
I'm new to shaving with a safety razor, but have been getting shaves with disposable blade straight razors at the barbers for years.

Today, I used a Feather blade for the first time in my Muhle R89. I must have purchased a defective pack as I experienced none of the aggressiveness that others have described. What I did experience, though, was a buttery smooth and completely irritation free shave.

After three passes (WTG, XTG and DXTG), I achieved what I would consider to be a DFS without the shedding of any blood whatsoever. I could have stopped there but as I was gunning for BBS, I did a fourth pass ATG. With all the fear mongering I've read about these blades, all I got going ATG was a minor nick over my Adam's apple which is where I usually get hit by any razor or electric shaver. The shave though was very close and certainly what most would consider to be BBS.

Reading about how sharp and apparently unforgiving these particular blades can be, I began shaving with an extra dose of caution. But, after the second pass I realised these claims are somewhat exaggerated. I was able to relax and shave as I normally do while applying the usual (light) amount of pressure. I find Super-Max SPs to be harsh in the R89, but not these. Not at all.

I must say that with all the hype surrounding these blades, I expected them to be sharper. I was under the impression that two passes is all it would take to yield a BBS shave. Perhaps I'd need to invest in a Muhle R41 to achieve that, I'm not sure. Some have described them as being sharper than Bluebird blades, but I found them to be about the same. For those looking for a cheaper alternative to Feathers, I highly recommend using Bluebirds.

I can't comment on longevity because I discard blades after each use, regardless of brand. All in all, though, it's an excellent blade. It's also easy to understand why the brand is so highly revered. I just wish it took less passes to yield a BBS shave with this blade in the R89.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth and SHARP
I am the 5000th viewer of this blade's review page! I first tried Feathers when I began wetshaving.. and they seemed harsh. However, what I didn't know then... I know now!! And that is, my technique was not ready for the Feather blade. These blades cut hair in their sleep, so make sure you are awake and know exactly what you're doing before trying to use one. Now that I know how to shave MY face, I am getting extremely long lasting BBS shaves with no issues whatsoever. I originally gave up on Feathers after my first few uses.. and I didn't use one for years.. then I felt my technique was good enough to give them another try. TECHNIQUE
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
For my skin, I found it too sharp. I did not get pleasant shaves with this one (nicks and weepers), compared to the astra and the 7 oclock. The sharpness lasted for a few good numver of shaves (I soldiered on and kept using it to learn it better). Still a good shaver.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Close comfortable shave
Cons: Longevity
I have been using Feathers exclusively for a long time. No backup blade, no sample packs. You might describe me as a completely satisfied customer. But...The first shave with a Feather is perfect, close and comfortable. The second shave is fine. The third shave is..., well, for me, there is no third shave.Sometimes I think my ideal would be to use a Feather blade once, and replace it. Other times I think, maybe, there is something better, or at least longer-lasting.So, this morning I loaded up a Personna Med. It was OK. And supposedly it will get you thru a few shaves. But I did miss the sweet sound of Feather music in my ear. Especially when it was replaced by the sound of a push mower. I had forgotten how hard it is to shave with a "normal" blade.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)