What's new

Feather All-Stainless DE

Pros: Heft and balance, satin finish, all stainless steel construction
The Feather AS-D2 is a superbly crafted, high end, all stainless steel razor that you could pass down for generations if it is looked after.

The price is pretty high, but you get what you pay for and that is a perfectly machined and balanced razor with a beautiful satin finish and crisp lines. Every part of this thing screams "precision engineering and machining" at you when you pick it up.

The handle and head match each other perfectly in terms of weight and balance and the grip is excellent. I am used to wide and heavy stainless steel handles on my razors, but there were no issues with the Feather handle. I wouldn't want to put another handle on the head that didn't have the beautiful matching satin finish to the steel.

In action with a Feather blade loaded, the AS-D2 is a comfortable, smooth razor to use that glides across the face with minimal fuss and less feedback than I am used to, but it is doing its job very well all the same. There is no room for the blade to move at all, so no issues with alignment or blade chatter.

Some people complain about this razor being "too mild" which I don't understand. How could a razor be too comfortable? Maybe they mean that it's not efficient enough for them, but for me, this razor mowed down 36 hours worth of stubble in three passes with ease and left me buttery BBS without any irritation.

People also report that the angle you need to use the AS-D2 is different from other razors and narrower. I think all razors are different from each other and didn't have any problems finding the sweet spot with the Feather.

Who should buy this razor?

1. People who want a comfortable and easy to use daily shaver that will consistently give them irritation free BBS shaves, even when they're tired or in a hurry to shave.

2. If you want an all stainless steel razor that will outlast you and keep your son and grandson looking sharp.

3. Those that appreciate finely made razors with a superb finish and feel.

4. You need to be able to afford the higher asking price, but this thing may stop you from wanting to buy any more razors in the future and save you money in the long run.

My previous DE razors include the Merkur 34c HD, Edwin Jagger DE86, iKon B1 solid bar, iKon B1 slant and Muhle 2013 R41. In the future I see the Edwin Jagger being my travel razor and the Muhle being kept for when I have more than a three day growth to shave off. The others I plan to give away or sell. The AS-D2 will be my daily shave.

If you can scrape together the asking price for an AS-D2 razor then I doubt you would ever regret your investment. If you did change your mind, you would have no trouble selling it for a high percentage of what you bought it for. So if you are thinking of getting one - I say take the plunge.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: The greatest razor ever made by a man.
Cons: Nothing. It's pricey, but it's a work of art.
I had the Feather plastic travel razor; I used that to relearn DE razor wet shaving.

But this is just the most amazing *instrument* I have ever used to shave.

I still use a Gillette Pro-Fusion on travels; it's becoming increasingly harder to find DE blades when I travel.

While relearning DE shaving has improved my multiblade experience, I have to say it plainly: Plastic razors break down. And one of the things you NEVER read about is that.

The plastic Feather razor broke eventually.

This is an heirloom. An heirloom you can sterilize in an autoclave. And it shaves as close or not as I want.

If you can afford the layout of money, buy it. In 2 years you've earned back the money you'd have spent on blades alone.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent workmanshio
Cons: A bit too unagressive
It's been a while since I participated, but I couldn't resist this Feather any longer. I held my nose and paid the price for it hoping for the best.

Prep for me was as usual. Right out of the shower and on with the GFT Lime from an Omega boar. While waiting for that to do it's magic I loaded up a new Personna surgical prep blade, which I've found to be sharper and smoother than Feathers, and which give me incredible shaves in my ball end Tech.

To my great surprise, after the first pass there was still considerable stubble left. There was nearly no drag at all to the razor. I relathered and tried again at a more aggressive angle. Still not smooth. One more time and still not up to par. I ended up grabbing the trusty Tech to finish the shave, which cleaned me right up. So, while there is no question the razor is an absolute work of art, it's much to unaggressive - far more than even the proverbially gentle Tech. And for way more money. Given that, I'd skip it. As a point of reference, with the same prep and blade I end up with a BBS shave with two passes using the Tech
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Fit & finish, balance.
Cons: Might have to change your shaving angle
I admit to being a hard-head, and I did not want to change the shaving angle I had used for 55 years.

I used this razor for a couple of weeks and put it away. I read these reviews and decided it was too nice a piece of equipment to hide in a dark closet. I broke it back out, and used a steeper angle than I have used all my life. It's a great piece of gear. Close, smooth, and comfortable, shaves with a Treet Platinum Super Stainless blade.

It sits in an iKON stand I have shimmed with flex, plastic retrieved from shirt collars from the cleaners. It looks great on the shave deck.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Materials, Quality, Fit, Finish, Design
Cons: None
My Feather all stainless was received in February 2014. It arrived in a very nice cardboard presentation box, not the wood presentation box spoken of in earlier reviews. A pack of feather blades was included.

A pack of generic drugstore blades was open. That is what was used. The razor produced an excellent shave on the first use. The shaving angle was intuitive and not especially critical. There was excellent audible feedback when the blade was cutting. Absolutely no irritation.

Prep was a hot rag and lanolin shaving soap. My beard is northern european brown hair gone grey. So think lots of medium thick hairs. The previous days shave, with a Futura, had left a patch of slight irritation on my neck, my own fault for stretching an extra day from the blade. I was a little hesitant making a third pass against the grain. But the Feather produced absolutely no irritation. This will make an excellent daily shaver. It is also much more agile under the nose and around the lips than the Futura.

Aggressiveness: I had to do a little against the grain touch up. Still no irritation. My judgement, a few days of familiarity will give baby smooth, no irritation shaves in three passes or less.

The materials, fit, finish, grip, handling, balance, and thoughtful execution of the traditional three piece design are all superb. As said by many, it exudes quality and precision.

Price: It is clearly a premium luxury item. Even so, there is long term economy. It will pay for itself approximately once per year in cartridge costs compared to a "cheap" cartridge handle. Stainless is slower to machine and polish than brass and plating. The materials, precision, and finish justify a premium.

I also find blade replacement to be simpler, more controlled and safer with three piece razors than any of the pop-open, twist-open, injector, or even two piece systems.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: build quality, grip, blade placement, good shave
Cons: price
I've owned a Merkur HD (silver/chrome plating pealed off after 18 months), & a Merkur Slant (blade placement is uneven because it wanders around the lugs, which should be a more snug fit for the blade holes).
I've had the Feather for 2 months. I concur with much that's been said about build quality (impeccable).
I love the blade placement because it lands securely in a perfectly even position every time.
First blade I tried was a Feather but it was a dud. The rest have been fine & a Personna I tried was good.
The shaving angle is just as others have described, 45 degree angle virtually rolling the curve of the head onto your face. Once you're aware of this there is no problem consistantly finding the cutting "sweet spot". For this reason I wouldn't be worried about newbies not getting used to the angle any more than the fact that they have to find the right angle for any razor. The only downside for newbies for the Feather, is that you are risking a lot of money if DE shaving turns out not to be your "cup of tea".
3 pass shaves produce a baby smooth face every time.
I don't agree with those who claim this shaver is so mild you can shave safely in a carefree way. I've cut myself a few times because of (a) too much pressure or (b) falling for the temptation of going over & over a spot before relathering ... because it seems too mild at times. Do yourself a favor - go through your passes with a light touch & you'll get consistantly smooth shaves.
The price seems outrageous but the cheaper $40 Merkurs I've had have turned out to be a waste of money.
Does it produce a uniquely close shave, above all the rest? No, but it equals anything else (including the Slant) smoothly, consistantly & with no fuss.
Great shaver!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth, and a nice pleasant ring to the shave
Cons: Expensive, mild
After seeing reviews and reading up, I really wanted to own a Feather All Stainless. I wasn't disappointed.
First off, there's really no good reason to pay this kind of money for a razor. At the end of the day, it reduces whiskers on your face, just like all razors do.
But, it does it with such style! It really is a marvelously engineered and manufactured tool. It feels great in my hand, well balanced, and will not slip in my grip.
I find it a bit finicky to wield. In order to get a close shave, the angle of the blade needs constant attention. Contrary to some, I don't think it needs me to exert extra pressure, however gripped at the tip the razor is longer than some so extra pressure happens naturally without me having to think about it. It takes a little practice to get a really smooth shave, but it will deliver them.
This razor gives me a very comfortable shave. I like to us an alum block after I shave. The block imparts no sting after shaving with the Feather, even after three passes and finish work around my chin.
Interestingly that it is named All Stainless. In fact it has a matte chrome finish. I was suspicious about this claim so I contacted the factory and received this reply:

"Regarding your questions, please be advised that the material used in this
products is, of course, stainless steel, and its surface is treated with
matte chrome-plating for protection of the overall appearance of razor."

This is not an adjustable razor. it is three pieces. I gave it a 10 anyway because the fit of the head and blade is really tight and amazing, almost guaranteeing repeatable results every time you load a new blade.
I don't know if I'd say this was a must own razor, but if you don't mind spending the money, I think it's a wonderful example of what a fine razor can be. I really enjoy mine!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality and Speed of Shave (No Nicks)
Cons: Moderately close shave
Basically a very fast shaving and minimal risk of nicks razor. Quality is apparent and it should last a lifetime. If ever there was a razor that I could teach a newbie to shave with, this would be it. It doesn't get much more mild. With careful manipulation it can be wielded to give a closer shave through more aggressive angle of handle to face.

I've put other thoughts in a post over here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/302384-First-Shave-with-Feather-All-Stainless-DE-Razor

Enjoy!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: It's stainless
Cons: very mild shaver
Quality instrument, but way too mild of a shave for me. The Feather blades work well and if you have very tender skin this would be a great razor for you. After one month's use I ordered an Icon and have found it to be a better choice of a DE razor for me. The benefit of the Feather razor is that it's almost impossible to cut yourself with this tool, even with the hyper sharp Feather blades. Razor preference is an individual thing. I certainly can't say anything bad about the quality, but for me it's the Icon.
Grip
0.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
0.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Very Close, Smooth and mild shave.
Cons: Smoothness gives very little feedback.
This is a great razor. Yes, there is a little bit of a learning curve to find the sweet spot. The angle is a bit steeper than I am used to. Aggressiveness, as previously stated is probably where it is supposed to be. I know that I am able to shave much closer on my neck, and yet to have a nick (doh, I hope I didn't jinx it.) Otherwise I believe I am in agreement with all of the positive things I have read in these reviews so far.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautifully made
Cons: Too smooth
I can't seem to get used to it, I do a 3 pass shave and still have stubble. It will not give my the BBS shave that I expect. I used a Merkur Vision for several years and loved it. I recently shaved off my goatee and the Vision is to big for under the nose. I bought the Feather and was disappointed in the shave. I have since bought a Truefitt and Hill Carlton and I love it much more aggressive and I get a BBS shave in 2 passes. I did nick myself but my fault not the razors. I use Feather blades exclusively.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Very well machined
Cons: Way too mild
I really wanted to like this razor...especially after shelling out the near $200.00! Yes, it is absolutly beautiful. But true beauty is in performance, and that is where the Feather is lacking. The first impression is incredible smoothness, but by your third pass you realize how much stubble is left behind. It requires an awkward angle too. I gave it a 2 week trial period, but I always had to do a final pass with my Slant. The Feather did one good thing: it taught me that a higher price doesn't mean a better shave! If I designed this razor, I would be ashamed...it is absolutly a ripoff. No RAD for me, I'm sticking to what works: Slantbar,Proraso,Badger hair!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Best razor I have used
This is not a good choice for a beginner, but a great choice for an experienced shaver. The shave angle is steeper than most of the razors I have used, plus it is heavy, plus one needs to use a very light touch. Combine all that and it's a tricky razor to get just right. But if you have a good touch this is a fantastic razor. I have been using mine more than a year before posting this review. I use feather blades only. I really can not think of a reason why an experienced de user would not love this cutting instrument! I am getting the closest shaves ever, zero irritation and the razor never needs to be cleaned like my adjustable slims always did. Use a very light touch with this rig, think light as a feather. Highly recommended.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: made from stainless steel
Cons: far too tame, cannot get a close shave, poor customer service
This razor has one of the 'grippiest' handles I've ever used. The stainless steel finish looks great. My first feather AS-D1 arrived with an uneven cutting head, resulting in a small kink in the blade on close inspection. I sent it back and got a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement had the same problem. I then got in contact with feather. They took several weeks to reply. They did however, offer to machine down my cutting head so that it would be 'flat'. They told me that there was nothing unusual about my cutting head and that this would be the only time that they would do this for me. This tells me that this issue must be a problem with all feather AS-D1 razors. Granted, most people probably wont notice this fault, however, it is present and I was able to demonstrate this in photographs by using a backlight to highlight the imperfection. Honestly given the price, I expect better quality, but more importantly, much better customer service - particularly as they are a Japanese company and the supposed reputation the Japanese have for customer service. At the end of the day, I got my machined down cutting head, and it was still a dog to shave with. I have coarse thick hair, and it was just too ineffective in obtaining a close shave, and I would end up damaging myself out of frustration. I now use a Muhle R41 (2011) and have much better luck, with no irritation and a much closer shave. I could only recommend this to those with peach fuzz.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: well built, comfortable shave
Cons: price
After reading everyone's review of this razor and their difficulty finding the right angle, I was hesitant to buy it. Then I realized that these things sell immediately once posted on the B/S/T forum. I couldn't believe how long it took for me to pull the trigger. This thing is the Cadillac or Buick Roadmaster of razors. Not only did I not have to adjust my angle of use from my other razors, but the shave was comfortable and irritation free. I say it's like a Cadillac because you don't have the audible feedback like you have with other razors. It's so well built, you can't hear or feel the speedbumps or potholes you're driving over. This shaves just as close and effortless as any of the vintage and Merkur razors I've ever used. This is now my everyday razor. Price is very steep, but worth it. The presentation box is magnificent. I rated the User Friendly and Ease of Blade Replacement as 8's only because it's a 3 piece razor and slows you down when changing a blade compared to a TTO.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Shave Quality, “Precision Instrument” look and feel.
Cons: None
Price: 10
Quality: 10
User Friendly: 10
Grip: 10
Ease of Blade Replacement: 10
Aggressiveness: 10
Adjustability: 10
Balance: 10

As always…..“YMMV”.

A few words about my rating:

Price: Having used it for over three months everyday I would go out and pay current retail for a replacement should I lose this one.

Quality: The precision and fit is simply the best I have experienced.

User Friendly: It is a joy to use, from installing the blade to the BBS shave itself.

Grip: The handle is in the realm of the greats, like an Aristocrat on steroids.

Blade Replacement: Sure there are more steps with a three piece than a TTO razor, but handling this razor is such a singular experience, the word chore never comes to mind.

Aggressiveness: The razor, when held at the proper angle presents the blade right at skin level and with proper preparation will yield a shave that some mistake as mild but in my experience I would just call this irritation free. The perfect shave.

Adjustability: It comes from the factory adjusted just right. Why mess with that?

Balance: When I’m getting the best shaves of my life and that is about 45 years of shaving so far, I have to say the balance is right.

For perspective, before this razor, a 40s style Super Speed or a 46-47 Aristocrat would be found at the top of my list.

In closing, you might say I’m a little jazzed about this razor. All I can say is……..guilty, but how many times in life do you find something that surpasses your expectations on all levels.
Grip
0.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
0.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
0.00 star(s)
Much has been said in the reviews prior to mine.

For those of you familair with Gillette Techs, you'll know that historically there were two distinct versions. The first version of the 1940s had triangular slots on the bottom plate, rather than rounded as seen more commonly in later versions. The first version was somewhat more agressive (!although still smooth!), and afforded less work to get the same result. The Feather TAS-DS reminds me of Gillette first release of the Tech.

On the down side, is the asking price. With the recent earthquake in Japan, I've actually seem several online shops mark up this eazor by as much as 20%
I abstain from rating this product based on price.

Aggressiveness, it's just about right for this razor, and always smooth and forgiving in the process. A high score in this category doen't mean it "bites", but rather an indication of the balance between effectivness and comfort.

Regarding quality, there have been tiny casting defects observed by other users (including myself) on the inner side of the lower blade head, otherwise it would have been a perfect score. Normally overlooked, but not at this price point.

All that aside, it is a quality razor that will be loyal to you for a lifetime.
This razor is most definatly designed around the Feather blade, and never have I had such a close and smooth experience with a Feather blade than with this razor. :thumbup:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Been shaving with my AS-D1 for over a month now, with the exception of just a couple of days. Having previously shaved mostly with the Muhle R89 or its twin EJ DE89L, I have to say that the Feather delivers an incredible smooth and, after a bit of practice to get my Technique down, a very close shave with only 2 passes.

Most has been said about this razor in the reviews above. From my ratings, one can guess with which comments I agree of course and with which I don't. I have rated aggressiveness a 10 because I feel that 10 is the best note and my criteria is to have a very close yet very mild shave and the Feather delivers 100%. I am using it only with either Feather blades or Astra SPs.

I like heavy razors and I like well-made things. This razor is a beautiful piece of craft, the most precisely machined tool I have ever owned. I don't think the price is too bad considering how much the going rate is for a all-stainless iKon or Pils. I owned 2 iKons and I really like them, but I do prefer the Feather, no question about it, which is why both have been sold. The Pils looks interesting but I am not willing to pay its price.

The Feather combines for me all I am looking for in a razor. Since I was so impressed with the shaves, I decided that I have to try 2 Techs, which I did, but they were too light for me and the shaves were not on par with those of the Feather. They were also sold. Now, I am considering getting rid of my EJ DE89L as well as I am just not using it anymore. I just love this Feather (am I repeating myself??)...:blush:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
All I have to say is this razor is perfect. Blows away my Futur. Blows away my Pills. It also blows away the other 7 razors I have tried!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
greychamp;2536704 said:
I have used my Feather All-stainless DE razor for four weeks now;ever since I received it. I have used it with Derby, Astra, 7 O'clock yellow and one of the Feather blades that came with the razor. I used each blade for six shaves over the course of a week with a variety of shaving soaps. Although I have a pretty heavy beard, it is my practice to use a blade for six shaves.
The razor is VERY mild and all of the blades gave me a nick-free and smooth feeling shave. The only blade that gave me a BBS shave, though, was the Feather. Accordingly, in my opinion, the benefits of shaving with the Feather razor is to use a Feather blade. My numerical rating of the razor is based on using a Feather blade. With a Feather blade, the Feather All-Stainless DE gave me the best and smoothest shave I can remember getting in more than 50 years of wet shaving.
A note about the 2 I gave Aggressiveness. I consider the fact that I get BBS shaves with a mild razor (low aggressiveness) to be a GOOD thing.

Very similar experience to the above. Loves Feather or Super Irridium blades, can give a great shave without having to be too careful as with a more aggressive razor. Maintenace is great, shake off excess water and leave 'as is' no rust problems at all (unlike another more expensive SS razor...:001_smile)
Will last forever, great razor !:thumbup:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly