What's new

Feather AC

My introduction to the Feather AC, along with my experiences with different blades and the DX, are here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94625

Convenient, (over time) inexpensive, and great shaver. Probably not for everybody, but great for those it fits.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
I have the non-folding AC DX and I use the Super Professional blades.
This has given me the closest, smoothest shaves I've ever gotten from any razor ever. Its super sharp and you do have to watch your angle, but the shaves I've gotten from this razor quickly made it a daily shaver for me.
Learning how to use it was precarious, but I followed the advice regarding the blade angle and I got great shaves from day 1. With the Supers, it glides through whiskers like they aren't even there. No tugging at all and the results are BBS every time. Its really a pleasure to use. I only wish it came in more colors.
Trademark Feather sharpness and quality.
I simply can't imagine a closer shave.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
Price: I got it on the bay for a considerable discount that is why I rate it so high, but normally the price is really high but mind you in my opinon worth it consider you will not need another holder if convience and a good shave are what you desire, like me and dont really plan to get many other razor/holders. You do get what you pay for and this in my opinon is the case here.

Craftsmanship: I really enjoy the weight of the holder as opposed to my shavette, that I previously used. The Teakwood accent gives the holder considerable character. It feels as though with care I will be using this for a long time.

Ease of sharpening: Had to be a ten since all I have to do is switch the blades out, always easy to get it sharp.

Lasting edge: I have shaved myself, sterilized the blade, and allows other to experience and do the same, all supperb shaves after six shaves still sharp with no problems. I also dont have to shave everyday (like every 2-3 days) so blades will last me a while in theory with 7-10 shaves projected per blade, that nearly a month per blade when I use it solo on the low end of the use spectrum.

Shaving smoothness: I used the Super pro blades first because I have coarse stubble. It was amazing I didnt cut myself and the first shave was smooth to the touch - off top. It also helped me clear up an issue I had with healed razor bumps. It cleanly slices them off to show clean skin. I was sold on it after I saw that. No pressure was needed b/c the DX has a considerable weight to it. I consider myself a modern shaver and love the disposable aspect and the long lasting blades, I would recomend this to anyone who wants a convient smooth shave with a minimal input or effort, just good technique. Also I know alot of reviews say the blades are VERY sharp but oddly enough when I crazily tried to touch the edge it didnt cut me but when I applied it to my lathered face to shave it just mowed the hair down, WOW.

Ease to maintain: Of course when the blade is not sharp anymore it can be loaded into a blade safe or into the blade injector. To experiment when I got the holder I slid the front piece off, after I read the direction, to see how the mechanism worked and I then was able put it back together with ease. The teakwood handle has to be removed before sterilizing it but I just dunk the main part it boiling water, from my electric water heater that I use for warm lather, to ensure it is clean and spray with disenfectant that contains ethonal to ensure it sterilazed. When I was ready to use again I just rinsed it off in hot water to get the disenfectant off and used it was used again with ease.​
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
I'm fairly fond of this thing, but the above poster's correct...your approach angle is dissimilar to the normal straights. It isn't especially smooth, either.

But I can get the closest with the fewest strokes with this one, and that's gotta be worth something.

See my page on my site reviewing it with some more detailed pics if you care...

http://kwigibocity.com/Feather_Artist_club_razor.html
Price
2.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
3.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
1.00 star(s)
I bought the Ebony handled AC originally because I was a bit intimidated by the prospect of having to strop and hone a real straight razor, but was getting really frustrated by electric/M3/disposable razors.

I like this razor a lot, and will use it for traveling. In a couple of years, I will be in away in Asia and India for up to 2 years and this is the razor I will take with me strictly because of the convenience -- no stropping, no honing, no worry about rusting or pitting, and yet the shave is like a straight shave.

Having said that, I still find the shave I get from my 1/4 Le Grelot or Henckels Friodur 7/8 a little smoother. The Feather does require a totally different technique, and going back and forth from the Feather to a straight can result in a few nicks or slices (at least for me, but I haven't shaved with a straight very long).

Not exactly a straight razor, but a very cool and well-built razor all the same. Given some patience to learn good (and safe) technique, it'll reward you with a maintenance-free and VERY close shave.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
3.00 star(s)
The Feather AC is a razor I keep coming back to. I have some nice straights, but sometimes the Feather just wins out. Last night I was reaching for my B&B Le Grelot which is a heck of a razor, but my hand came back with the feather AC instead. I'm one of the few guys on this board who will admit to liking the Pro Guard blades. I can get a nice close, smooth shave with no irritation. I don't use this razor exclusively by any means, but often enough to rank among my favorites. The shave doesn't last as long when using Pro Guard blades, but long enough for an evening out.
I have no plans to sell this razor. :wink:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
I received from Classic Shaving, a new Feather AC and have had two shaves with it so far. I also have a Dovo Shavette and a Sanguine razor that I have been using for the past several months. I wanted to try str8 razor shaving but not get involved with the expense and hassle with a conventional str8.

IMO the Feather AC is the best thing out there, and from some of the info out on the web will rival or exceed the comfort of most of the str8's out there with lower cost and less fidling. Having used the other shavettes, I was familiar with the feel and the hold of these devices and did not draw any blood with the Feather. The Feather is significantly heavier than the other devices so no pressure is needed and the blade glides along. I could see however if a person changed off between a regular str8 and a Feather there could be angle issues and a sense of having to get back into the groove with the Feather. It most definately feels differently in the hand.

It was by far the best shave ever, which for me included the other Shavettes. the vast assortment of disposables, injectors, saftey razors, Fusions etc I have used over the years and even from my trusted Merkur Progress with a Feather DE.

I have been shaving for 40 years and I believe I have finally found the ultimate razor. Now the question is what to do with the Sanguine and Dovo shavettes.

PS. Classic shaving is the best; my experiance with them is that you can place an internet order from them on Saturday night and expect to receive the item the following Wednesday shipped regular surface post. They are absolutely excellent.

Thanks

Bob
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
I find this razor to be excellent. IMHO, it doe not rate some of the bad reviews it gets. You just have to recognize that the feather blades are very sharp; you need to respect them but not be afraid of them.

I love this razor and use it as a regular part of my straight rotation. In addiiton, it is a great razor to travel with since you don't need to carry a strop with you.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
After the initial learing curve of this magnificent tool the control, precision and comfort you get with it is _very_ difficult to let go of.

The blade I use is the Professional Super version which for me seems to cut my beard more efforlessly than the Professional type. They both seem to be equally sharp but the blade geomerty is different so that must be it.

Some people have commented on the fact that this razor is a bit pricy, and that it is compared to many other razors. However, this is a razor that will probably last you the rest of your life if you do the miniscule maintenance that it requires. And as for the actual price of purchase... well, you get what you pay for.

The S.P. blades give me a good week of comfortable shaves, which I find is perfectly reasonable.

All in all this is a kick-*** shaver and I find it to be a genuine joy to use.

And also, there is something decidedly cool about shaving with a razor that most, if not all, of the guys you see on the street on any given day would recoil in fear if you presented it to them and said "Here, try this one."
;-)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
I gave the price a 9 rating because I get them directly from Japan. The only issue I have is how long the edge lasts. I only get 3 or 4 great shaves. After that, I need a new blade. I've used only the Super Professionals so far. Otherwise, the razor is fantastic for those with the patience to learn to use it properly.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
3.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
Price: I am somewhat divided here. IMO, it costs more to manufacture a Slant, Progress, futur or a Vision. However, this Razor costs as much as the last one. Considering this I would give it a 2. OTOH, this thing is worth the price. While many other straights go for half of this one, with the feather you do not have to worry about stropping and honing.

Craftsmanship. Good. I looks nice and futuristic, the materials are certainly good and it has a nice heft.

Easy to Sharpen. Giving a rating here is unfair for the rest of the straights, heck, it is even unfair for the shavette and other disposable straight razors. Just pop a new blade, it is too easy.

Lasting Edge. Compared to other disposable blades, this are one of the most expensive, however, they are the ones that last longer. 7 to ten shaves is about right.

Easy to Maintain. Hold it. Slide the top piece. Clean it. Put it on again. Done.

Shaving Smoothness. Uuuuh one of the differences of the feather with respect to other razors is that you have to respect this baby. It is just as moody as SWMBO, it can give you perfect shaves or bite you in an instant. That is right, bite you; when I first used it, I just laid it on my skin and i saw blood. :blink: People say that the slant is aggressive, but If you have not used a feather, you do not know aggressive. :w00t:

Conclusion: with the feather you are getting a heck of a razor. It has a bit of traditional nostalgia just by the fact that it is similar to a straight, while maintaining the cool factor of this century. But you have to pay for it with money and temperance.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
A nice easy step in to cut throats without the need to strop. They're not the cheapest, but I consistently get a good close shave with this razor.

After seeing all the reviews of these being scarily sharp I did hesitate before stepping out and getting one. However, I got tired of the cheap little wahl disposable bladed cut throat that I was using so I made the leap and haven't looked back. I didn't find it hard to pick up this razor, perhaps because I've not used traditional cut throat razors. With the super professional blades I get good close shaves and rarely any nicks. That is, unless my attention starts to wander. :blushing:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
Intro:

The Feather AC (Artist's Club) was my first wetshaving razor. It still gets plenty of use in my rotation, even though I have a bunch of fine 'real' straights as well now. There are (at least) 6 different models available, three each in the 'RG' series made of solid brass, and the pricier 'DX' series made of stainless steel. I have the basic RG model, and that's the one I'm reviewing.

(But I suspect most of the comments apply equally to all versions!)

There are also three types of blades, the 'Pro-guard' with added cut-protection, the 'Professional' for regular beards, and the 'Professional Super' for heavier beards. I have the Pro-guard.

Price:

The price-range is from $99 for the basic RG model with plastic scales (they call it a special polymer that can be boiled for cleaning, but it sure looks like plastic to me ... ) to the top-end DX with teak or ebony scales for $250. It's hard to justify the extra cost when you think of the razor simply as a blade-holding device ... with 'real' straights you would expect some improvement in shave-edge quality (as well as better scales) for that sort of price jump. Ask me in 30 years if the brass RG version is not as well assembleed as the stainless DX version ...

At to blades, The Pro-guard are almost $1 per blade (in a 15-pack) and the others are just over $0.50 per blade in 20-packs. Depending on your preferences and tolerances (and all that other YMMV jargon) figure on a week or two of shaves per blade. (Feather's info says 7-10 shaves on average.)

All prices are based on classicshaving.com prices.

Craftmanship:

I cannot comment on the wooden scales, as I have the plastic ones. Doubtless these have their fans for the boiling/autoclaving cleaning ability, but I'd say the plastic scales are 'okay'.

The real key to the puzzle is the tang/head of the razor. First, a side-note that the monkeytail is a bit longer than usual,so you can get a second finger on it for added stability. Good idea!! The 'head' is spring-loaded to keep the blade in place, but pinch the two sides of the head together along the spine and the blade comes loose for ease of removal (or ease of insertion when you put the blade in.

Easy To Sharpen:

Okay, you just pop in a new blade. Like, can it get easier? The blades come in plastic dispensors that dispense one blade at a time, in a way that you can transfer the blade from dispensor to razor without actually touching the blade ... a real bonus when you consider that these are Feather blades after all.

Lasting Edge:

Well, I guess everyone will have his own opinion as to when to change the blade and all. I think the blades last a fairly long time; I compare them to the old disposable cartridges I used to use in the bad old days, and they do quite well (at a much better price.) The impression I get about DE blades, is that they last for maybe 3-4 shaves, so these ones are ahead of the game there.

Shaving Smoothness:

The blades generally go through three stages of life ... too sharp, just right, and getting dull. The first few shaves, you have to be really careful, or else you end up bleeding ... but no problem getting a close shave. Once the blade "rounds into mid-season form" you have a great time shaving close. I'd say that the blade in the first two phases is noticeably sharper than you can expect with a straight. As the blade ends it's useful life, there is a bit more pulling and tugging on whisters.

Easy to Maintain:

Piece of cake. And the two parts of the head pop open so cleaning the interior mechanisms is really easy.

Overall:

A great shave, provided you respect the blade. Feather is famous for the super-sharpness of thier blades ... totally in evidence here. If you are used to regular straights, there is a learning curve in switching over, as you actually shave somewhat differently (less angle, less pressure, &c) than with 'real' straights. In terms of getting a very good shave, I can get that inone pass with my Feather, where with a 'real' straight I'd take a lot longer and make two passes ... so this can be a realistic 'before work' razor.

Admittedly, I don't have experience yet with the other blades, or with the other model. (And there's also a non-folding Japanese style version too.) I'm hoping this review will be a way to start a collection of reviews and opinions about the Feather AC in one central locale.

I also wanted to link in some of the best Feather threads from the Straight Razor forum, so here's a good place to start for more discussion and opinions:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13313&highlight=feather
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=236&highlight=Feather
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10708&highlight=feather
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8827&highlight=feather
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2896&highlight=feather
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47&highlight=feather
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2027&highlight=feather

Thanks to all who contributed and commented in those threads ... special thanks to Joel for his thoughtful comments and photos (if you posted a review of the Feather, sorry I couldn't find it!!)

To discuss this product with out submitting a review, please discuss here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=227379#post227379
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)