What's new

Feather AC DX Non Folding

Pros: Shaving heaven
Cons: Expensive
I started with DEs and migrated to traditional straights and still use them occasionally. I enjoy the shave but not the honing and stropping. I read good things about the Feather disposable straight blades and decided to give them a try.

My first go was with the inexpensive Korean made CJB non-folder. It is a copy of the no longer made Feather RG. Great shave but poor quality blade holder. My next was a pair of Feather SS, both the folder and non-folder. I loved them both but preferred the non-folder for easy navigation around the face. I used them almost exclusively for a couple of years.

After reading about the better weight, balance and blade exposure of the more expensive Feather DX, I decided to give one a try a couple of months ago. I bought the folding DX with the teak scales. After about 40 shaves, I'm sold. I have the best of all worlds:
- smooth as silk shaves in 1 pass with occasional touch ups
- maintenance-free stainless steel razor and sealed scales
- use-and-toss blades for consistent sharpness and smoothness
- the pleasure of holding a work of art!

I prefer the Feather Pro-Guard and Feather Professional Super blades. Not a fan of the Lites or Professionals.

I still use the SS non-folder occasionally, but for me, the DX is the way to go.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
Pros: well made, fun to use, good grip, easy to replace blades, blade choices
Cons: pricey, can be unforgiving
u2u did a fine write up; not that much to add.

The Japanese style provides a nice different shaving experience for those interested in something new. As with most Feather products, the quality is there, but they are quite pricey.

I have both versions and use the non-folder somewhat more. I love the fact that you can change blades for a totally different shave, while using the same handle. This versatility is to me the best feature of these razors. My favorite blades are the Kai Pink Mild and the Feather Pro and Super Pro. When you replace a blade with another type it is as if you get a whole different razor.

Yes, saving the time on stropping and touch ups and an occasional re-hone is a benefit, but not really that much for those experienced with straights.

Overall, I do recommend this razor as a nice change for those who want to try a new approach. If this razor was to be the sole straight razor one was to own, I would say consider the folder as the place to start.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
2.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)