What's new

Faulding Cream in a Tube

Pros: Lathers well on face.
Provides good lube for SR shaving.
Very good value.
Cons: Not readily available outside of Australia.
You need about twice as much as Proraso green to get the same amount of useable lather.
I used this cream for years DE shaving while in Australia. For some unknown reason I switched to Nivea for Men Sensitive cream while later cart shaving.

Moved to the Philippines where no shaving cream were readily available, so let on buying my Nivea whenever visiting Australia. In 2019 I started SR shaving. Later when visiting Australia I found that the Nivea was no longer available, so I switched back to Sanofi. I'm glad that I did. It was much better than the Nivea for SR shaving.

I now also have some Proraso green cream that I imported from Italy. The Proraso green is great and the Sanofi is or par, if you use about twice as much.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, ubiquitous, simple, natural and your grandfather would recognise it
Cons: Pretty basic: you're not really spoiling yourself with Faulding
Faulding shave is a product from a bygone era. The ingredient list is so simple your grandfather would recognise it and you could probably make it in the back shed given half a chance.

But don't be fooled. This is a seriously good product. It's basically just a soft soap, with the addition of glycerine, and it has a light lavender fragrance that beckons you from an old-fashioned barbershop lost in the mists of time.

It sits forlorn and mostly ignored in the shaving aisle in most Aussie supermarkets, surrounded by various commercial canned goops like the last Brownstone on a block of skyscrapers. But it's half the price of those impostors and twice the product.

The average age of the guys I see buying this stuff is pretty advanced, and I've longed dreaded the day when they go to the great shaving den in the sky and Faulding Shave finally disappears altogether.

Whips up a fantastic lather, hand or brush, face or bowl. It's just the little shaving cream that could.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Builds a good lather, a clean not over powering scent, good availablity (in Australia), good priice
Cons: None
I have been using this for years, it’s a great product that I always have at hand. I trying more creams and soaps at present, but I always come back to this.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: good lather, good clean soapy smell not fruity or flowery, convenient to travel with
Cons: none
cheap and effective, does what it is meant to do and that is provide a good lather suitable for a wetshave. it is not trying to be the best in market and that is why I have rated it so highly, afterall it is under three bucks a tube!

I usually apply some to each cheek and then face lather. it also works really well when combined with palmolive (aussie type) or arko sticks for a superlather. on its own you do need to use a little more than the standard 'almond-sized' worm to get a great lather going especially if you're wanting to three pass.

does not leave my face and neck dried out and also love the fact it's in a tube for when I'm travelling. I haven't had much luck trying for a brushless lather with this soap.

for the price I highly recommend it, you really don't need to spend more than the cost of this for a reliable daily shaving cream. it does lather up easily making it easy for a newbie wetshaver.

you can't go wrong with this one!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: It's cheap, good to travel with
Cons: Wife hates the smell.
Used this cream when I was making the transition away from canned goo. I learned to later using this and a cheap $2 brush and shaving for 4 months like this with a M3 cart. The product lathers well and gives a nice shave, I like the smell, as it reminds me of my grandfather but my wife hates it.

Once I used some premium creams like tabac and cella I realised that i prefer them to this.

For $2 a tube I will always have 3 or 4 tubes on hand mainly for travel where I can use more cream for a quicker lather while on the run.

Overall a good product for the price and it's about the only shave cream I can get in Perth without waiting a few days for shipping or paying extortionate rates at the only shaving shop.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Great shave, great price
Cons: Scent is a bit "iffy"
I bought a tube of this at my local supermarket a couple of days ago as a result of my SCAD. I wasn't expecting too much from it but I have been very pleasantly surprised.

The price was great, under $3.00 (AUD) for a 75 gram tube which should last for around 6 weeks plus shaving every day.

Quality seems good, the cream has just the right consistency. Also there are very few ingredients, so there's not much that can go wrong allergy wise.

Scent, well I'm not too sure about this. It reminds me of something from when I was very young, but I can't pinpoint what it is. It's a medicinal smell, not unpleasant, but not enthralling either. You may have a different opinion though.

Latherability is great, not much effort whips up a very slick and cushioning lather that lasted the whole shave.

Efficacy is also great, it really softened my stubble, gave me a very close, smooth, nick free shave. I was using a 4 day old Bluebird blade and a Muhle R41 razor and I came up better than when I use some much more expensive creams.

Moisturising was good, I could almost have gotten away without some post shave balm.

Packaging is OK, plastic tube which is easy to get the cream out of and is durable, comes in a cardboard box. Can't say too much more about it other than there is no reference at all any more to Faulding, just a reference to sanofi-aventis Consumer Healthcare. Not very romantic or traditional, but doesn't effect the shave.

For us Aussie shavers I would definitely recommend buying a tube of this very nice cream, you won't be disappointed. :001_smile
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: This product is available anywhere in Australia. I've seen it at $1.85AUD up to $3AUD in some places. Dirt cheap product.
Quality: It's all right, not great. I'd say this product is below average.
Scent: The scent is a very nice woodsy, dry. I think on that one, it's fantastic
Latherability: Very difficult to lather, it doesn't require much water and you won't end up with a lot of lather. No big explosions like Palmolive shaving cream (Made in Australia)
Efficacy: It will get the job done but it won't be a satisfying lather.
Moisturizing Properties: It's all right, no better no worse...
Packaging: Toothpaste tube, easy, small, pouring cap. Ok.

Conclusion: I know I should be buying local as much as I can but this one doesn't do it for me. It's been around for yonks (look at the colour on the packaging) but surely, they can do a better product than that... I won't be buying this one again...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I got a tube of Fauldings the other day. It raises an OK lather and does what one would expect of it. I am not overwhelmed with the aroma though which reminds me of an elderly lady’s makeup drawer.
I bought a tube for AUD $1.50 today at K Mart. I started shaving with this cream and it's a good one, much better than the Weleda one which smells the same but is ten times the price.
I found an old tube of this in the back of the bathroom cabinet from my 'old' shaving days (pre B&B!) and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did because I got a great shave. I find the scent hard to describe, but I would say it's an old-school soapy, lightly floral smell but also with a hint of spice.

I found it a little more difficult to lather than other soaps and cream, but that's not to say it's hard to lather - I just had to use more water than usual. It provided a smooth, slick shave and left my skin feeling great.

The packaging is simple but effective - just like a tube of toothpaste. It's available in pretty much every supermarket and dirt cheap (in Australia).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Faulding Shave Cream has been around for decades. Like me a lot of men will recall seeing this in their grandfather's bathroom. I used when I started shaving.

I paid $2.36 for a 75g tube at Chemist's Warehouse. It's the only shave cream available in Australian supermarkets, where it's a bit dearer. The tube is a convenient size for travelling overseas.

Along with Faulding's Lime Juice Cordial it's almost an Australian icon.

Faulding now exists only as a brand. At one time F H Faulding & Co was the largest pharmaceutical manufacturer in Australia. The pharmaceutical lines are now ultimately owned by the Zuellig Group Inc, a large privately-held Philippines conglomerate. In Australia Zuellig also owns the Chemmart Pharmacy and Terry White's Chemists chains along with Symbion Pharmacy Services (which manufacturers Faulding Shave Cream).

Anyway, how does it stack up? Really well. Prior to using Faulding Shave Cream I was using Crabtree & Evelyn cream, expensive at $30 a tub and not economical. Faulding is comparable. It gives a thick, creamy lather, enough for three passes, with a 25mm length on the brush. The scent is old-fashioned, masculine, and not overpowering.

I may treat myself to expensive shave creams in the future but Faulding will be an everyday go-to for me. Recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
i got a tube while in SYD earlier this year, awesome stuff good value and helps produce an enjoyable shave. Just wish some one in NZ would import it, all we really have is palmolive in a tube.
i think when you say "it's available everywhere" that you should supplement it with "in australia"...
Got some to try the other day for $2.95. I was pleasantly surprised, great lather with minimal effort. Smells good too. A real bargin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This has been my stock cream for almost 5 years. Its everywhere, and its cheap. However, it also has a few other things going for it:

The scent is unbelievable...BAM! I'm back in every classic barbers I've ever been to, getting a straight-razor to my neck and side-burns. Beautiful, talcy, classic smell.

Latherability isn't too flash, but creates quite a longlasting and lubricating lather. Also, a little goes quite a long way. The package I'm on right now, using every second day, has lasted me 4 months and is around half gone. $2.20 for 60 shaves equates for around 3.5c per shave so far! Probably around 2c/shave if you take into account it isnt empty yet.

As far as moisturising goes, I like this product as it leaves your skin feeling smooth, just a tad taught, and not overly-done like some can make you feel. It moisturises but not too much, if one can say so.

The classic packaging is attractive and tops off the whole shebang, and I have no guilt in leaving it in my shaving cup.

Overall, this is a good basic lather that I haven't had reason to move past for some time now. It will continue to remain in my arsenal, even if only because of its efficacy and nostalgic smell.

Cheers all - boingk
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
You can get this product just about anywhere. Supermarkets, Chemists. etc.
It's very cheap at around $3.50 for a 75g tube.
Basic makeup of Water,Stearic Acid,Potassium Hydroxide,Coco nut Acid,Glycerin,Coconut Oil and Fragrance.

The scent is a light soapy smell, makes you think of a barbers shop.
It will lather acceptably well on your face or cream up in a bowl.

Not a particularly heavy lather & you need more cream if using a bowl but provides a lasting lather both in the bowl and on your face.

Not harsh on the skin and does not leave your skin feeling dry.

With the price taken into consideration it becomes a good usable budget shave cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)