What's new

Everyman Jack Cooling Gel

I also did not care for this product. I received two bottles in a trade when I first started wet shaving and they did nothing to help improve my shave. The cooling effect was very noticeable, but was more of a burning sensation from the menthol perhaps? Much worse than alcohol in balms which I quite like. I ended up tossing both of my bottles out. The worst part was the slime-y residue it left on my skin afterwards. Not moisturizing whatsoever. Your skin does not absorb this nasty chemical. If you're looking for an inexpensive after-shave, get Nivea instead, your face will thank you!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
D
I grabbed this product looking for a cheaper alternative to skin food, gentlemen's refinery, and whatnot.

I use my aftershave as a moisturizer even when I don't shave, so that's how I tried it and I can honestly say...

This stuff's awful. It left a dry residue on my face. Not a nice sealing moist/sticky residue like skin food, but an unpleasant dry sediment.

Further, I get really dry hands in my Buffalo winters, but a decent aftershave helps since it hits my hands before it hits my face (dur.) This stuff irritated the hell out of my hands. They're all dry and itchy now 4 hours later. I can't imagine what this stuff would do to someone with sensitive skin on their face. Yikes!

I'm throwing this junk out as soon as I get home. I'll stick with Nivea for a grocery store aftershave until my good stuff shows up in the mail.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I really like this stuff, except for one thing...

The scent is nice, but not particularly special. Minty menthol.

The cooling effect is incredible. Proraso + this stuff on a brisk morning will really wake you up as you step out the door. I'm a big fan of menthol cooling, so I love this.

It moisturizes fairly well and leaves your face feeling nice once it's fully absorbed, BUT while it's drying your face feels like it's been dipped in maple syrup. It's incredibly tacky, enough that your hand will stick to your cheek. When I look down after applying this stuff, my neck sticks to itself. This is the only thing I don't like about this product. For the price/performance, though, I can handle the tackiness. Still, it does keep me from using the product as often as I might if it didn't get tacky.

If you're at Target, pick a tube of this up. It's only $5 and, if you can handle the stickiness, it'll cool your face like no other.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Bought this a week ago and used it for about 5 days before finally making a firm decision on this product.

First off, I am a fan of Every Man Jack products. Love the soap, pre-shave scrub and shaving cream.

This product definitely provides a heck of a cooling effect. The first day I loved it. By day 5 I found that I was developing small pimples on my cheeks which I can only associate with the use of this product since my cheeks haven't seen a pimple in many years.

The product goes on kind of sticky and remains that way until it fully absorbs (or evaporates) which takes about 30 minutes.

I won't be buying this product again. For only $4 it's not a huge loss.
This is a fairly viscous gel, certainly thicker than Gillette. It smells exactly like the container says it does (menthol/peppermint). Moisturizes pretty well and takes care of irritation with no burn. This stuff is COLD, if you shave in the morning this will definitely wake you up. For only $5, this is a bargain.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I'm torn on this stuff, really. I kinda of like (though not love) the scent, and the "cooling effect" is nice and lasts a little while after application.

However, the "in-your-face cooling" I would probably have worded as "burns like a ****." This stuff seems to have a significant alcohol content and is literally painful to the skin when first applied after a shave.
Also, I also share the complaint about this stuff being sticky/tacky - although the effect does seem to go away after maybe 30 minutes, before that you can put your hand against your face and and it'll stick right to it - not something I was expecting from a product that touts "No sticky residue" right on the canister.
I also have strong doubts about the "hydrating forumula" of a product that has so much alcohol that it sets my face on fire.

However, that said, if you can get past the temporary stickiness and the initial shock it causes when first applied, it does seem to do a good job of fighting off the razor burn (although I noticed at least one other reviewer would disagree, so I guess like with most things, results may vary).
I should probably add a disclaimer that I'm new to the wet shaving scene, and this was my first post-shave product - however I'm certainly going to be trying a few other products before I decide if this is the one for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Picked some of this stuff up after reading this review, before i even used it i noticed that it smells almost just like peppermint, the only thing i have to compare the scent to is Thayers Superhazel, almost smells just like it.

I gave this a 7 on "fights razor burn" simply because after the cooling effect wore off the razor burn came right back.

The cooling effect is awesome, just as powerful as Proraso Pre/Post, the only difference is that this wears off after about 10-15 minutes.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I was in Target running errands, and I stumbled upon this stuff by chance. I figured, for $5, I could get it, try it, and not feel too bad about tossing it in the garbage. Boy, was I wrong.

I cannot speak highly enough about this stuff...for the price, you're going to be hard-pressed to beat it. It is nicely packaged, in a little container with a pump top. It fights razor burn like a champ, and its menthol content is impressive. It has the consistency of a thick Skin Food, and when it dries the feeling is almost identical. Nice and smooth, and not heavy.

I do have two complaints, but they are minor. First, the scent is nothing to write home about. The menthol is strong, and it also has a strong peppermint quality to it. Not overbearing, just nothing special. At any rate, it fades quickly. Second, it seems to take a little while to soak in...my face is fairly tacky for about thirty minutes after application. Again, not huge, but it is a complaint.

All in all, I think I may have found my new aftershave :w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Yeoww.....:eek:definitely as advertised on the bottle! Cools my face almost a little too much. I find this stuff works great if you cut it a little with one of the other EMJ aftershave products (scented/unscented). Especially nice if your bathroom/shaving area gets a little warm in the summertime.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Great product, especially for summer. And you can pick it up at Target. I also use it during the day after washing my face for a pick me up. Subtle peppermint fragrance doesn't linger, cooling does.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Very cooling, refreshing and moisturizing; and it does not clog pores. Not much of a scent though, but I don't want alot of scent anyway. I have no reason to use anything else. I haven't used many after shave balms except for nivea, loreal, poraso,body shop, and the everyman jack lotion. In my opinion, the cooling gel completely blows away these products.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
For me, this is definitely one of the more cooling products out there. Not just a hint of cooling after a minute or two, but full-blown, in-your-face menthol.
The best comparison I can think of is with Baxter's of California, only because they seem to have a very similar texture. This stuff is sort of an opaque gel, heavier than something like the JASON 6-in-1 lotion, but lighter than Skin Food. The scent is fairly clean - mostly menthol with a hint of citrus I think - it won't win any scent awards, but it won't put anyone off either.. and the scent fades very quickly. When I did a cheek-to-cheek comparison with Baxter's, the Everyman gel seemed to moisturize better. (Hate to pick on Baxter's, I think they have a great product). But for under $5, it's hard to not justify trying this stuff out - especially if you like Baxter's.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)