What's new

Ethiopia Harrar from Ristretto Roasters

Ok...to me this is a fine example as to why you use a medium roast. It allows the beans to show off here. Fruit...Spice...Chocolate...all while being very balanced. It boasts a wonderful aroma and great flavor. Give me a cup in the morning, afternoon or at night. If someone asked what beans to try from DJ, this would definitely be one of them. If you haven't tried them yet, what are you waiting for? :thumbup:
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
The Ristretto Roasters Ethiopia Harrar is one of my favorites. I agree that I don't detect blueberry, but the wild fruit description is spot on. There are some intense flavors without ever being overbearing. It's complex, well balanced, and smells wonderful. Lots to enjoy here.

Great in the morning or at night. Pairs well with breakfast, or chocolate deserts. Great in a drip pot, outstanding in an Aeropress. I find the Harrar to be very versatile.

This is my wife's absolute favorite RR coffee.

Because of the strong fruit flavors, Harrar can be love it or hate it. I certainly love this version.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
This is the third review I have posted today on the coffees from Ristretto Roasters. Get the idea - I like the stuff.... :rolleyes:

I have to say, sometimes the descriptions of things, especially wine, confuse the heck out of me. I don't know where the tasters come up with some of the things they say. With regard to the Ethiopia Harrar, the comment has to do with a distinct blueberry note. Well, maybe my palate is not as refined, but I have no idea where this comes from. I detect no blueberry in this coffee, which is just fine by me. What I do taste is a very well balanced coffee. It is funky enough to be interesting - some dried fruit, spices, a bit of mustiness perhaps - but not too heavy. I really enjoy this one black, since some of the really subtle notes are washed out by milk (and of course you would never add sugar to great coffee such as this), but my wife is a latte-head and I have to admit it is pretty good that way as well.

I have had some really amazing Ethiopia Yrgacheffes at other times (not from DJ, but from other sources), and I would place the Harrar a step behind those. Still, if you want a coffee that is complex and a bit out of the ordinary, without being too confusing to the palate, this is a great choice. And, needless to say, the roasting is pretty much spot-on; no over-roasted char to be had here.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)