What's new

English Fern

Price- Gave it a 10 as to not give this product a poorly rated score purely because on price. Yes it's expensive, however, in the context that the reformulated soap is less than adequate, the aftershave is a good way to get the English Fern scent. And it's Penhaligon's, you should almost expect to pay a premium.

Quality- It's Penhaligon's, it is great quality.

Fights Razor Burn- As good as my Speick and Alt

Cooling sensation- There is no menthol and therefore I didn't expect nor did I get a cooling sensation.

Scent- Pure Bliss. It is absolutely amazing!!! Man is EF a wonderful scent. It has pretty good staying power as well. Up there with Alt for comparison's sake in regards to staying power.

Efficacy- Not much to say. It performs as expected.

Moisturizing- Surprisingly not bad. As a side note I do have oily skin and I would rate this slightly less moisturizing than Alt. With Speick being my top moisturizing splash.

No Alcohol Burn- This has a burn, nothing drastic, but it's there. It is very brief, however, only lasting a few seconds.

All-in-all I would say this is worth the money based on the fact that the soap is now effectively useless (for me anyways) and this a good way for me to get that EF scent with a good performing AS. :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
The smell is awesome, and it is not purely an alcohol aftershave - there is some skin protection in the mix. That said, you do get an alcohol sting. And it's very expensive, but a little goes a long way.

The scent on me lasts quite a long time at low levels, or comes out again if I sweat.

Despite the price, I'm sure to buy it again when it runs out - the scent is just that good, and it brings more to the table than just alcohol.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Actually, the English Fern AS does contain menthol. However, there's not enough of it to really make itself known. But check your ingredients list -- it's definitely there.
I have just tried Penhaligon's English Fern aftershave and I must say it is decent. It is exactly what you would expect a 19th Century after shave to be: alcohol and fragrance. Glycerin? menthol? aloe? witch hazel? They haven't been discovered yet! Anyway:

Price: really expensive

Quality: top shelf like all Penhaligon's products (these were once the toiletries of the English Aristocracy).

Razor Burn: no better than Old Spice

Cooling: no menthol, no cooling except the evaporation of alcohol

Scent: light fougere that last no more than a couple of minutes, which I like

Efficacy: gets the job done as though you were off to another Victorian social

Moisturizing: none

Alcohol burn: high, let it evaporate in your hands for a second or two before you apply to the raw face
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)