What's new

Em's Place "Woodstock" Shave Soap

Item Description

Em's Place is one of our online vendors that makes & sells good products but for some reason you just don't hear much about them. So, mainly out of curosity, I purchased a puck of Em's Woodstock scent glycerine shaving soap to try since I've never used it & I'm always on the lookout for another good soap. :rolleyes: So without further ado, let's get down to business:

First off, the shipping from Em's was pretty fast. I ordered on Monday & had it in my mailbox by Wednesday afternoon. Considering I live almost on the other side of the country from Em's & it was mailed via standard Parcel Post at the USPS, I was impressed. The packaging on the soap was sorta blah...just plain plastic wrapping with a sticker on the front & back listing the ingredients, her address, website address, etc...not like the packaging of a fine English soap or cream where you get a glossy, pretty box that you can 'ooohhh & aaahhhh' over. It doesn't really bother me much because I care more about the product. YMMV of course.

As for ratings:

Price: I gave Em's a 7 on price because, while not expensive, it is $6.25 for a 3 oz puck which equals $2.08/oz. I have other handmade shave soaps that work just as well but cost half as much per ounce. In other words, I thought it was a tad high in relation to other similar soaps. [Disclaimer: I am not in the soapmaking business so I have no idea of the costs associated with the raw materials, EO's, FO's, etc of the soaping trade.]

Quality: Excellent. No other word needed to describe it.

Scent: The scent is not very potent...almost muted...but does come to life somewhat when lathered up. I gave it a 9 as this particular scent smells pretty much as its name implies: woody, earthy, & herbaceous. I don't particularly love it but I can't fault Emily for me not caring for a scent I picked blindly. I would say it is 'as advertised' on her website.

Lather: Excellent. Easily a 10. Easy to make, stays hydrated, good lubrication. FWIW, I always face lather my soaps so some other method may yield different results.

Efficacy: Good as any glycerine based soap I've tried. If it has a fault, I haven't found it yet.

Moisturizing: I thought it was very moisturizing. My face feels nice & smooth, very hydrated after using this soap. I always use something after the shave but I would suspect that some of you wouldn't need an A/S or ASB after using her soaps.

In conclusion, Em's Place soaps seem to me to be as good as any other handcrafted soapmaker we are used to...they just don't get talked about as much. I don't think you can go wrong if you purchase some of her soaps. She also offers a pretty comprehensive line of proprietary men's toiletry items (shave creams, aftershaves, ASB, colognes) as well as brands such as Trumpers, Proraso, Tabac, Speick, & others. Great stuff & good service. Thumbs up for Em's Place.

Latest reviews

Why does one only rarely see comments on Em's soaps? :001_huh: Last week I (finally) broke open a puck of her wonderful Bay Rum; it had been sitting a few months awaiting its turn in the rotation.

The best I've tried so far! :w00t: It lathered readily in my mug (moderately hard water here) and felt fine as I swirled and painted it on my face. Both my badger and boar brushes got great results.

The bay rum scent was not as sweet as some others I've used, it was strong and I liked it. Em has got it going on, for me, at least! :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I'll add my two pennies. Em makes some great soap. A tub of her soap will be the first one I finish with a tube of QED coming in right behind. You get a full pour if you order the tub, shipping is lightning fast, and Em is a really great person to deal with. The soap is glycerine ala QED and Mama Bear. Her soap is one of the easiest lathering soaps I have, the lather is thick, slick and moisturizing. All of her scents are really well done as well. The Lime is probably a touch better to my nose than the Woodstock, but I like this one as well. Highly recommended if you like glycerine soaps.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Em's Place is one of our online vendors that makes & sells good products but for some reason you just don't hear much about them. So, mainly out of curosity, I purchased a puck of Em's Woodstock scent glycerine shaving soap to try since I've never used it & I'm always on the lookout for another good soap. :rolleyes: So without further ado, let's get down to business:

First off, the shipping from Em's was pretty fast. I ordered on Monday & had it in my mailbox by Wednesday afternoon. Considering I live almost on the other side of the country from Em's & it was mailed via standard Parcel Post at the USPS, I was impressed. The packaging on the soap was sorta blah...just plain plastic wrapping with a sticker on the front & back listing the ingredients, her address, website address, etc...not like the packaging of a fine English soap or cream where you get a glossy, pretty box that you can 'ooohhh & aaahhhh' over. It doesn't really bother me much because I care more about the product. YMMV of course.

As for ratings:

Price: I gave Em's a 7 on price because, while not expensive, it is $6.25 for a 3 oz puck which equals $2.08/oz. I have other handmade shave soaps that work just as well but cost half as much per ounce. In other words, I thought it was a tad high in relation to other similar soaps. [Disclaimer: I am not in the soapmaking business so I have no idea of the costs associated with the raw materials, EO's, FO's, etc of the soaping trade.]

Quality: Excellent. No other word needed to describe it.

Scent: The scent is not very potent...almost muted...but does come to life somewhat when lathered up. I gave it a 9 as this particular scent smells pretty much as its name implies: woody, earthy, & herbaceous. I don't particularly love it but I can't fault Emily for me not caring for a scent I picked blindly. I would say it is 'as advertised' on her website.

Lather: Excellent. Easily a 10. Easy to make, stays hydrated, good lubrication. FWIW, I always face lather my soaps so some other method may yield different results.

Efficacy: Good as any glycerine based soap I've tried. If it has a fault, I haven't found it yet.

Moisturizing: I thought it was very moisturizing. My face feels nice & smooth, very hydrated after using this soap. I always use something after the shave but I would suspect that some of you wouldn't need an A/S or ASB after using her soaps.

In conclusion, Em's Place soaps seem to me to be as good as any other handcrafted soapmaker we are used to...they just don't get talked about as much. I don't think you can go wrong if you purchase some of her soaps. She also offers a pretty comprehensive line of proprietary men's toiletry items (shave creams, aftershaves, ASB, colognes) as well as brands such as Trumpers, Proraso, Tabac, Speick, & others. Great stuff & good service. Thumbs up for Em's Place.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)