What's new

Em's Place Shaving Cream

Item Description

I a small sample of this from Em a while back, and just pulled it out this week. I didn't have very high hopes for it. I have been very impressed with the British creams, but most of them have a lot of chemical ingredients that help make a thick lather - while the more natural domestically produced creams (Gentle Man's Quarter and The Shaving Den) have been a little on the hard to lather side - and either require a ton of cream to get a thick lather, or give a more latte like lather than the meringue that I desire.

I have to admit two personal biases:
1. I like locally/domestically produced things, hopefully made by small independent companies.
2. I also like things to be natural - God put plenty of stuff on this earth that will clean us and moisturize us and smell amazing - it seems silly to go into a plant and make some weird chemical that works slightly better but leaves us wondering about its safety.

My sample was unscented - but still has a light pleasant smell - like a nice lotion.

I put a lot of cream into my bowl because I was used to needing a lot to make a good lather, probably about 2 almonds worth or a little more, and had shaken out my bowl and by Crabtree & Evelynn Best Badger Brush pretty well. The cream is definitely more runny than I expected - a little thicker than a good aftershave balm.

That was way too much cream, I had to add a good bit more water to get a reasonable thickness. Once I did that, I was able to get two thick coats of cream and still have enough for one or two more passes. The cream was slick enough to allow passage, but thick enough to give a good amount of protection. About as moisturizing of a lather as I have ever used.

I really enjoyed this product the last 2 days, and expect that this may be my go to cream (partially because of the biases listed above).

I do generally like a scent, but she has several very nice Essential Oil Blends (I received samples of three that I like very much) that are available to put in the cream. She was very helpful and I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of this cream.

Latest reviews

Pros: lather
Cons: slickness
First off, I received this free so it's always better when it's free. It lathers incredibly well with a wonderful real bay rum scent. I was not impressed with the slickness, it's on the lower rung of good creams in that respect for me. I'm also not keen on the pump packaging. I could be the age of the product, but it didn't allow me to "shake well" and it was a bit separated. All in all, a good product and, if priced right, I would definitely purchase it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I ordered Em's Place Bay Rum Shave Cream a few weeks ago. I liked the fact that it was all-natural and that it was designed specifically to be used with a brush. I have long ago settled on a razor/blade combo, and I have been experimenting with various soap/creams. The first shave with this cream was so close that I immediately threw out every other cream/soap I own. I'm not joking. I didn't know that a shave could be as close as what I got with Em's Cream. And I have gotten a BBS shave every day since. I know that YMMV, but when a product outperforms everything else on the market you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. The customer service and shipping times are the best of any company I have ever dealt with (shaving or otherwise). If you have not tried Em's Place, you are missing out on something amazing.

And, no, I have no connection to the company. I just can't believe that more of us wet shavers aren't raving about Em's Place.

Scott
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
There is nothing not to like for this speciality shave cream. The scents are strong, but not overbearing; the lathering is incredible and the cushion fantastic. I have many of the "better" brands (Trumpers, Salters, Taylor, Prarie Creations, Kells, ........., E Shave, Gentlemans Quarter, Shave Den, and on and on.).

As far as creams go, I am hard pressed to find another that performs as well in so many areas. Based on how little you require to produce abundant lather for a 4 pass shave, this cream is exceptionally well priced.

I have the "Strengthening" and "Outdoor" scents. Don't hesitate to try this shave cream. Think of a La Toja cream thickness and you'll know what to expect.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)